PDA

View Full Version : how to make GMAIL the default mail program in Windows 10

Tony
25-04-2017, 12:53 PM
I've just been visiting my tech-challenged neighbour in helpdesk mode. She uses Gmail for her email. She also uses Windows Fax and Scan. When she scans something and wants to email the result, the app always fires up Thunderbird, and I have found nothing that allows me to change that. If I go to default apps and change the default for mail to chrome, Fax and scan still fires up Thunderbird. I've tried it on my own PC and the same thing happens - Outlook this time.

I've found various pages on the web but they all concern themselves with making gmail the default for Mailto: links in web browsers.

Any ideas?

dugimodo
25-04-2017, 03:44 PM
I don't think you can because Gmail is a web based browser page not a local E-mail app. You can use Thunderbird with a Gmail account though http://pop2imap.com/thunderbird-gmail.php
It's the only downside to webmail in my opinion, but I just scan things to local files and attach that in Gmail myself.

Nick G
25-04-2017, 04:24 PM
Make the Windows 10 Mail App the default mail program, then sign into her email through that. Probably the closest you'll get, you can't make a webpage like Gmail a default app.

Tony
25-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Thanks people, I'll try that. I'm not surprised you can't make Gmail the default Win10 mail app as I couldn't see myself how it would work - but there may have been some magic method...

notechyet
29-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Thanks people, I'll try that. I'm not surprised you can't make Gmail the default Win10 mail app as I couldn't see myself how it would work - but there may have been some magic method...
Use eM client, a small and good app for it.