PDA

View Full Version : WindowsXP on a Celeron ?

07-01-2002, 04:28 PM
Hi, i have a Celeron 300 MMX, with 128mram, 20gig, 56k etc, will WindowsXP/PRO run ok on this config?, ive read about people who have had it going good on a 400 PII, what do you reckon?

07-01-2002, 04:48 PM
It will run, although you may not be all that happy with the performance of it on a system of your specs.

From my experiences XP thrives on 256meg or above of ram so you would definitely want an increase in Ram.

I would stick with your current OS (I am assuming you are running some version of windows 9X) as the features XP offers probably will not outweigh the performance hit you will suffer.

07-01-2002, 05:41 PM
No Problem!! It will run Sweet....as long as you do little tweaks it will. Even if you dont it still will run...bit slowly though.

I have got Celeron 333 running on Gigabyte 686LX4 mbo with 160MB RAM and only 6G HD.
Runs just as well as my prev Win 2000.

You just gotta turn off the the visual glitter to make it Windows Classic appearance and all the fading effects. Its done thru Advanced tab of system properties. This helps Win XP run much faster and not hog your cpu for its visual stuff.

As for the RAM. I had 96MB initially but then i added more to 160MB. Hasnt done tremendous improvement. In fact i still have considerable pagefile usage going on even though theres plenty of RAM available in task manager. I guess its WinXP chewing more and more for its own processes as you add more RAM. But if you gonna have the fast user switching feature and tons programs running. Its a must to have >64MB

07-01-2002, 06:06 PM
thanks for the advice, im getting XP PRO next week big $$ lol, ive just installed Windows 2000, but my old serial mouse would detect and i dont have a PS/2 port, any tips?