PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Mid 2009 A1278 Does not Boot

mark1978
21-04-2017, 11:00 PM
Hi guys,

I have an issue with my Macbook Pro mid 2009. The DC Jack was broken and ordered a new one on trade me, this arrived and I have replaced it using this guide:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/embed/1358
Everything went well however, at present, I plugged the magsafe adapter in, and the light went from green to orange. After 20 min (light still orange) I tried to boot it but nothing, no HD sound, no chime, nothing.

Am I too impatient and should I wait until the battery status is green before attempting to turn it on?

It continues to charge, I pressed the bluetooth button which also works

CYaBro
22-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Try doing an smc reset.
With the power off and charger connected. Orange led should be on the charger.
Press and hold Shift+Ctrl+Alt/Option and while holding those down press the power button. You should see the charger led go green then back to orange.
Release the keys and try power on.

mark1978
22-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Hi CYaBro, it didn't work....do you perhaps think I damaged the logic board when replacing the DC Jack? It seems to be charging.....but not turning on... I have rechecked all the cables last night but everything is as per the instructions of replacing the DC Jack.

mark1978
22-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Its been on charge for several hours now and the orange light remains on..., when pressing the bluetooth light, that lights up fine as well..... the LED on the charger doesn't seem to switch over to green and the battery must be full by now........mmmmmmm....... I don't know anymore......I have tried everything....

zqwerty
22-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Presuming that you replaced a connector which is available to the outside world, always check for broken tracks caused by heavy-handed usage.

Use a multi-meter (ohms) and check continuity from the solder joint you have made to a solder point further along on the track it is soldered to.

It's is almost always broken tracks and not the actual plug/socket which is the problem in the first place, especially if the connection is intermittent and can be connected by wiggling the plug/socket.

Remember to disconnect charged battery before measuring with ohm-meter.

CYaBro
23-04-2017, 12:55 AM
What's the Bluetooth light you're talking about?

mark1978
23-04-2017, 10:25 AM
the light (and button) by the head phone jack... or is that the battery light?? zqwerty, that goes over my head, I have no idea how to do that :(

mark1978
23-04-2017, 10:37 AM
Its the battery light not Bluetooth light lol....so when I press the button to see the battery status, all led light come up from left to right....the last one flashes a few times then it fades...

mark1978
23-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Am not sure if it's possible to take the battery out and let the macbook start through the magsafe directly?

mark1978
23-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Just tried it....did't work although the magsafe remained green, not amber the MBP did not turn on. I must have damaged something on the logic board when repairing the DC Jack.

Jeff
23-04-2017, 01:19 PM
Try here https://www.rossmanngroup.com/boards/ or look at his You Tube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl2mFZoRqjw_ELax4Yisf6w

You will most likely find your answer here.

mark1978
24-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Interesting guy Jeff, I couldn't find the answer.... and I wasn't going to pay a subscription fee lol

mark1978
25-04-2017, 11:59 AM
First, thanks for all the people that have replied and helped me troubleshoot this problem, so the DC Jack was successfully replaced however what happened was that after the repair I couldn't turn the laptop on. I googled and googled answers and did all you guys suggestions to no avail. This morning, I decided to take it apart again and I was looking at the logic board however I could not see anything that looked out of the ordinary, I took out the DC Jack plug again and reconnected and googled in between for answers. I then stumbled on this: http://www.spumonte.com/files/PDFs/_PC%20Books_/MacBook%20Pro%20Service%20Manuals%20(2010)/MacBook%20Pro%20(13-inch).pdf which I found really helpful. I then also noticed that the keyboard ribbon cable was NOT put in place as it should the last time I put it back together and I started to get some hope. I actually had some difficulty to put this ribbon cable back again however managed. As I did not touch anything else I started to get really hopeful that this was the issue. When everything was put together I put in the magsafe adapter. This went from green to amber and when I pushed the on/off button the laptop turned on! :) Am extremely happy! Thanks again everyone for your replies, it is definitely a tricky replacement and you have to be 100% sure you put back everything the right way before you assemble the laptop back together again.

wainuitech
25-04-2017, 12:53 PM
you have to be 100% sure you put back everything the right way before you assemble the laptop back together again. That's a trick for the young players and unwary & sometimes it catches anyone out ;)

Its all to easy to forget one lead, no matter how hard you "think" you got everything 100% it can always trip you up, especially when there's a couple of ribbons. If there are a few, it pays to take a picture of each step.

Had similar happen the other day, thought I'd gotten everything with the laptop I was stripping to change a Cooling fan, then wasn't till I went to put the keyboard back I noticed one empty tiny socket--- Awhhhh crap! it was the power to the speakers, the cable/plug had slipped under some other components, so had to strip it all down again, just to get the plug out from under the motherboard.

linw
25-04-2017, 09:32 PM
Hope you didn't use those techy naughty words, WT.

wainuitech
25-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Hope you didn't use those techy naughty words, WT.

What me !! :D Welllllllllll Would you believe all I said was "oh bother" :(

Yeah---------- I don't believe that either ;)

More like: (polite version)

:lol::lol: