PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft finally kills Vista.

Bryan
12-04-2017, 01:32 PM
See here. http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/apps/91498355/microsoft-finally-kills-windows-vista

dugimodo
12-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Just like they killed XP, except it still has more users than windows 8 or Vista does. It won't truly die until people stop using it and that could be a while.
A fully up to date Vista install is actually fairly similar to use to 7 and some people are perfectly happy with it, not me though I tend to update every time.

12-04-2017, 03:19 PM
Just like they killed XP, except it still has more users than windows 8 or Vista does. It won't truly die until people stop using it and that could be a while.
A fully up to date Vista install is actually fairly similar to use to 7 and some people are perfectly happy with it, not me though I tend to update every time.

Much like 10 is so similar to the much hated Win8 .

Ive allways suspected that Win7 was in fact really just Vista SP3
The chances of a completely new OS that quick after Vistas release, pretty low :)
Win7 more a name change & panic fix & release from MS , as Vista was so hated .
Vista wasnt that bad after Sp1, but it was preloaded on too many pc's & laptops with specs too slow to run it .
That was half the issue, the cheap & nasty Vista machines just ran like a pig . 1G of Ram, slow HD, slow 1.6Ghz cpu , then add Norton :badpc:

wainuitech
12-04-2017, 06:29 PM
Ive allways suspected that Win7 was in fact really just Vista SP3 You're actually right :thumbs:

Windows 7 is what Vista was meant to be /advised.

In the early stages of Vista, they promised this that and the other in the way of features, but as time came and went on release dates vista was hacked to bits with many features missing, as it was delayed several times MS eventfully settled on a version they had to put out.
Briefly events - history https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/microsoft-vista-late-but-why/

Got a ISO of the original Longhorn - may have to load it one day and see how it performs. :)

When W7 came out it had the bugs sorted that vista had. ( read July 2005 in link) If you actually compare Vista to W7 its not that different (in layout) vista was more flashy, more resource hungry, basically not finished. Compare the default "look" of Vista and W7 and you can see some of the changes.

W7 is more flat looking than Vista, now look at W10, its gone back closer to a W7 layout and more of a flat look.

mzee
12-04-2017, 10:09 PM
My wife bought a laptop several years ago with Vista in it. No bother at all until very recently when it got a bit buggy. I changed it to W7 and has no problems. She keeps the antivirus and Malwarebytes up to date, and uses CCleaner. She doesn't fiddle with it which probably accounts for the trouble free performance. Most of my problems with Windows are due to me experimenting.