PDA

View Full Version : Another backup software thread

wratterus
03-04-2017, 02:17 PM
So....I know this has been asked a lot, but say you are after a foolproof, simple backup program that will do full system image backups - what would you recommend?

Happy to pay up to say $80NZD.

I see Active@, but the interface doesn't look to be all that simple - the idea is this would be for someone who doesn't really have much knowledge about computers, and would literally want to plug an external drive in, and click 'backup'.

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Backupper Pro? Looks like thats around $73 atm for a lifetime licence / upgrades

psycik
03-04-2017, 02:54 PM
I've used acronis true image since version 6 (about 2007). Just be sure you've got a home machine if looking at that. It wont back up server OSs.

You can sometimes get it on special for about $25 - and upgrades on top cheaper.

03-04-2017, 03:17 PM
So....I know this has been asked a lot, but say you are after a foolproof, simple backup program that will do full system image backups - what would you recommend?

Happy to pay up to say $80NZD.

I see Active@, but the interface doesn't look to be all that simple - the idea is this would be for someone who doesn't really have much knowledge about computers, and would literally want to plug an external drive in, and click 'backup'.

Its build right into Win7,8,10 . Works great, full disk image .
Of course MS made it less than easy to find ,in 10 (& *?) by no longer calling it 'backup' .

One click to backup(image) , not sure why MS didnt make it that easy. :badpc:

bevy121
03-04-2017, 04:52 PM
active@ is pretty simple, and I have never had a failure with it.

Unlike acronis true image that was suggested - Had many failures with that when I used it years ago!

wainuitech
03-04-2017, 05:34 PM
active@ is pretty simple, and I have never had a failure with it.

Unlike acronis true image that was suggested - Had many failures with that when I used it years ago!

Active @ while not one click, it certainly does work. Only time I had a failure is my own fault or the HDD has badly damaged sectors.

Another that's Free ( home use) ;) is Lazesoft Image/clone http://www.lazesoft.com/download.html scroll down to the image software.

Works very similar to Active@ but even easier- hardest part comes when telling it where to put the image ( browse to destination) . Had to use the image option the other day as active for some reason didn't like the drive structure. They also have quite a few good pieces of software.

There's two types you need to look at either a image of the whole system, or regular backups.

Theres always going to be one failure point
would literally want to plug an external drive in, and click 'backup'. The human factor.

What ever you use it has to work, seen many fail including Acronis esp with W10, they cant handle it. Also with an image you really want software that has a bootable CD/USB option. A lot of software, while it backs up, you still need to manually install Windows first - pointless, you should be able to drop a Image onto a blank HDD and away you go. Both active & Lazesoft you can do that :)

Jayess64
03-04-2017, 06:09 PM
AOMEI Backupper is free and will make backup images. I tried it on a 'spare' laptop with Win 10 - made a backup image, then introduced a couple of innocuous changes followed by a restore. Worked fine. The Pro version has to be paid for, but the free one is good for system image & data file backups.

dugimodo
03-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Not a fan of active@s support policy. I paid for active@ and then ended up almost never using it, Then I went to reinstall and found out they only let you download it for a year after purchasing. Luckily I found a backup of the install file and key but if I lose that I can't recover it from them any more. Mine is an old version 5.4.2, still works on windows 10 but I'm not sure how well as I've never had to restore an image from it.

I like Aomei for cloning but have never tried it for images. It was the one that worked for me cloning onto my first SSD after Acronis and Active@ both failed to make a working clone. Cloning is trickier than imaging though, unless you use Identical disks at least.

gary67
03-04-2017, 09:13 PM
First thing I do is create the bootable media. Active works brilliantly

linw
03-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Why on earth does anyone pay when Macrium Free is available? Does everything most all of us need including automatic disk management.

I, however, like WT, know there is a human factor that will defeat the best laid plans of mice and men. If you set it up so they just have to plug a drive in and click a shortcut to backup, they soon stop doing it. They just can't be trusted.

Then, even if you find the one in a million who will do it regularly, or you set up a scheduled routine, they simply won't know if/when the backup does awry. Backups need checking as errors can creep in. Even if the backup program puts up a warning, it will usually get ignored.

Yes, I know, I sound defeatist but, believe me, I have tried very hard to arrange a foolproof system for people like the OP speaks of, but really have had to admit defeat.

Scheduling auto backups sounds like a good idea till you add the vulnerability of the backup drive to ransomware as Tony has highlighted in another post.

mzee
04-04-2017, 07:23 PM
I usually use AOMEI, but had occasion to back up a laptop HP G3 Stream with a 32GB eMMC flash drive. AOMEI couldn't see it. active@ had no problems with it. The active@ boot CD has a good partition manager and several other utilities.

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2017, 11:22 AM
It's because it doesnt support drives with 4096 bytes per sector. Altho it looks like someone is trying to write a script or something to support them

kioti
03-05-2017, 12:39 AM
This will do the job nicely....and it is Free
Easeus Partition Master 12
http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

chiefnz
03-05-2017, 02:22 AM
Second vote for Easus ToDo backup (http://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html)....

The Home version is free and will do all the things you're after. Once you have it configured it will hum along nicely in the background.

I have been using the workstation edition for some years now across Windows 7/8/10 and it performs really well.

The price is reasonable and the features are quite good.

cheers,

03-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Back to original question.. :-)

which of these programs offer true '1 click' backup ?
ie, click a desktop shortcut & backup starts.
That would be usefull for many not so savvy PC users, who dont want to have to open programs , go through menus etc.

personally, I wouldnt recommend Easus for backups. Ive had it fail horribly (backup image ~worked~, but so many of the users docs wernt actually backed up, hundreds of missing doc after full restore)

wainuitech
03-05-2017, 12:25 PM
There area LOT of backup programs, and lots of people suggest them, BUT how many say " backups worked fine etc, easy to use etc " AND actually Test them ?
Like 1101 posted -- Sometimes they go through the process of backing up, but when you need to put them back people find they fail.

Not to many people will do a full backup, take a blank HDD and put it back to make sure it HAS worked. NBG if they don't restore.

Nasenryut
16-05-2017, 11:18 PM
This will do the job nicely....and it is Free
Easeus Partition Master 12

Thanks , the Android Manager can help us back up the phone data ,

Nasenryut
22-05-2017, 12:23 AM
Thanks , the Phone to Phone Transfer (http://www.android-rescuer.com/phone-to-phone-transfer.html) can help us back up the phone data ,

For create backup files of the Phone , it is a good chance

Digby
22-05-2017, 07:35 AM
Slightly "off topic" but what size is an image?
Is it the same size as your normal files?
Why is it called an image?

Digby
22-05-2017, 07:39 AM
Its build right into Win7,8,10 . Works great, full disk image .
Of course MS made it less than easy to find ,in 10 (& *?) by no longer calling it 'backup' .

OK, so what is it called and has anyone used it?

gary67
22-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Ms backup it does work but on home version's of windows not over a network or at least it didn't in Win7