PDA

View Full Version : adding memory

07-01-2002, 11:55 AM
I was given a 128Mb for xmas but don't know how to install it; as I am fairly new to computing and of a senior age, can I install it myself or should I get someone to do it for me.
I am using a Hewlett Packard Pavilion set up with atower modem.
Many thanks
Dave Robertson

07-01-2002, 01:59 PM
Hi,
Its pretty easy really,
U can chek your mother/main board manual and it should say how to in there,
But other wise.
Switch off com, unplug,
remove cover, ground yourself - touch something metal,
find main/mother (wot is it actually called?) board,
U should find two ports the same length as the RAM, there should already be some it one of the ports
O, i don't no if u want to add more/ replace or wot, so this is just a guideline.
Now,
soem have to little 'clips' @ the ends of the 'port' u may have to 'unclip' them or something to get it in, but otherwise, just press down the RAM gently at both ends, until its in.
Switch on, your computer should find it straight away,
chek on boot up where it has memory, chek that its picked it up,
or go to system info when you're @ desktop to chek if it reconised it.
If not, make sure its in correctly.
Cheers
:)

07-01-2002, 05:29 PM
Just to add to Alex's good commentary...

you may need to press quite firmly to get the RAM in - gently pushing probably won't do it. Once it is in, the clips at either end should clip in by themselves, don't try to close the clips yourself, cause if you have to do this, then the RAM probably isn't seated properly. If the clips don't clip in, then push down harder.

07-01-2002, 10:17 PM
This site http://www.crucial.com/support/install.asp has step by step instructions with pictures worth having a look at before you start. You probably have DIMM memory but have a look at the others to be sure.

Do give it a go, it's a piece of cake really. Just make sure you get yourself an anti-static wrist strap (from Dick Smith or the like) and use it.

13-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Memory succesfully installed .
Many thanks to those who offered advice.
happy new year to you all
Dave