PDA

View Full Version : Disc at 100% stslling everything.

Colpol
29-03-2017, 10:14 AM
HP Windows 10. 8 Gb Ram. 248Gb 0f 914 Free.
Something accesses HD at random? Everything stops responding. Open Task Manager and disc is at 100%(Shows in tool bar}. stays like this for about 2-3 minutes during which time nothing runs. Wait long enough and everything returns to normal????.
Run Windows Defender, Malwarebytes and SuperAnti Spywere. All good.
Any help much appreciated.

kingdragonfly
29-03-2017, 02:41 PM
If you're using "Windows Defender", the default anti-virus software, and have an old 5400 RPM disk, it can cause some delays.

There is a program called "process explorer", that is much more advanced than Task manager.

Unfortunately even on an idle machine, "Process explorer" sees a lot of activity. Filtering the output is a bit of an art, and requires some pretty in-depth knowledge of Windows.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

wainuitech
29-03-2017, 03:01 PM
In the Search type in Notifications, select notifications and Action Settings -- under notifications, disable the lot.

Next go back to the home Panel in Settings, go to Privacy, on the Left - Bottom - Background Apps - When they populate, turn OFF all of them - Reboot the PC should now be a lot faster.

Colpol
29-03-2017, 03:12 PM
Thanks KD, Downloaded Process Explorer and disk usage went to 100 % and froze Winzip.
Had to wait 2-3 minutes before i could finish and install but got there in the end.
Will see what it comes up with during the next session.
The HD is new. Computer only 2 months old.
None of the processes showed any more than .1% usage during freeze.

Colpol
29-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Thanks Wainui. Done that so will reboot and see what happens.

Colpol
29-03-2017, 04:05 PM
Well it has been 30 minutes since start up. Went to 100% immediately after startup. I assume it was starting in the background that caused that.
Since then it has not happened again so hopefully all good.
If that has fixed it then thank you Wainui, if not I will let you know.
Cheers
Colin

mzee
30-03-2017, 10:34 AM
I have found that both Defender and Microsoft Securities can cause hang ups when loading some programs. I now use Avira and have no more problems.

30-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Thanks KD, Downloaded Process Explorer and disk usage went to 100 % and froze Winzip.

1st step:
uninstall Winzip. Its is now bloated crapware & installs so much other CRAP (yep crap) .
Winzip is not the same as winzip from 8 years ago. NOD32 even sometimes marks it as malware
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?143736-Winzip-alternatives/page2

Pretty sure Win10 performs maintenance tasks when it see's the PC as being idle, that could cause disk usage when 'unused'

Colpol
04-04-2017, 08:55 AM
1101. Did that. Found it really hard to use, as you say different from the past. Installed Peazip following a thread here. much easier to use,
Anyway my freezing problem decreased for a few days after following Wainui's suggestion but is now back same as before.
Any ideas out there.
Cheers

Bryan
04-04-2017, 11:22 AM
As one method you could try this. On desktop, double L click "This PC". This should show you the disks available on the PC. Check the C: drive and it will show how much free space is available on that disk. Maybe that will show that the HDD might be full and you will need to either use a bigger HDD or delete some files or pgms from the HDD to create space for you.

Colpol
04-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Nope. Have 249 Gb of 914 free, but thanks for the suggestion.