PDA

View Full Version : Calling Linux Mint enthusiasts

mzee
27-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Hi all.
I am giving Mint Cinnamon a try, but there are a few things that bug me:-

I can't do anything without a a dialog coming up telling me "Choose password for Keyring"
How do I tell it that I don't want a *!***!! key, and when I find out what it is, I may do it!

I downloaded a "Sticky Notes" app, was prompted to extract the files, did so, but came to a dead end ??

How to change the boot order?

The "disable touchpad when typing does not work"

So far I am not very impressed. The only thing it does better than Fat Dog 64 is render websites better in Chrome. This is probably because it has more fonts, which is easily fixed. It is bloated and makes a real mess of the hard drive, adding new partitions and totally ignoring the Ext4 partition which Fat Dog used live in.

Kame
28-03-2017, 08:41 AM
When you remember a password it has to be stored somewhere. That place could be the keyring, it depends on the program.

Need more information on this sticky note, by default I think tomboy is installed which is a similar program. For installing software its best to use the package manager than to download archives.

Boot order is through grub, so altering its config or you may want a to find you a GUI app to make it easier.

I am not sure why the disable touchpad when typing does not work. I use that setting myself and do not recall if I had issues at the time.

You need to realise that Mint aims to be user friendly. The tasks you want to do like changing boot order is not the task of an average user but that of an administrator. The bloat is for the out of box experience but a lot of the major distributions have added the pounds on.

I use Mint myself, mainly because it's not hard to show others how to use it and it required less configuring for me, which became a bonus (even though I like configuring) as it saved me time. However, I am still a huge fan of terminal though.

rumpty
29-03-2017, 09:05 AM
I use the same password for the keyring as is used for my normal login and password when booting Mint. So, after I've logged in normally, Mint does not subsequently ask for a keyring password.

Rod J
29-03-2017, 05:05 PM
I downloaded a "Sticky Notes" app, was prompted to extract the files, did so, but came to a dead end ??

OK, this is a common mistake many make when trying Linux. Unlike Windows, in Linux you don't (generally) download and install stuff in the same way. Linux is like Android or iPhone in that you install stuff from the app store (repository). In Mint Cinnamon you can use the already available apps "Software Manager" (very easy to use and installed by default) or the "Synaptic Package Manager" (more technical to use, not sure if it is installed by default). Just type "Software Manager" in the start menu search box.

As far as changing the boot order, this might be helpful: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=219825

Kame
29-03-2017, 10:13 PM
I looked at that forum thread, first answer is not correct, so do not follow it.

Also, gedit is not the default graphical text editor for Cinnamon, it's xed and there's no need to use gksu. sudo is fine for any need of higher privileges.

If you search Software Manager for grub you will come across tools that make it easier for you. grub-customizer possibly still works.

Rod J
29-03-2017, 10:59 PM
I looked at that forum thread, first answer is not correct, so do not follow it.

Actually the first answer was correct, if you had read further down the page the original poster had misunderstood that you have to boot into the other OS first to make it the default from then on (until another OS is chosen then it becomes the default). This method works perfectly and I have used it myself in the past.

... there's no need to use gksu. sudo is fine for any need of higher privileges.

I must disagree with that statement. You are just asking for trouble if you run gui apps with sudo. There's a reason why gksu and gksudo exist. This is a good explanation why you should always use gksu or gksudo with graphical (gui) programs: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=228412

Kame
29-03-2017, 11:29 PM
Rod we went down this track before and explained that gksu was deprecated in favour of pkexec I think. I am not even sure its included in Mint 18 now or the main repository, maybe it got shifted to universe but year old issues usually get fixed and it is no longer suggested.