PDA

View Full Version : facebook & scam security popups recently ?

27-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Has anyone here heard of very recent issues with security scam popups while on facebook
eg : a popup that cant be closed saying virus infection, MS alert, Police alert etc "call this number etc"

Ive had 2 calls re this today, both while on FB . Too much of a co-incidence ?

gary67
27-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Not me but a friend did.

wainuitech
27-03-2017, 03:19 PM
See them all the time - Can even give you a site that triggers them :D

To close simply bring up task manager ( ctrl+alt+del) Select the browser /End task -- (important bit) Run Ccleaner to remove the files from the temp internet files, if you don't the message will pop back again next time you open the browser.

wratterus
27-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Heard about plenty of them. Must be some advertising that's been compromised? How anyone falls for these still is a bit beyond me, when it's publicized so well. It's just a matter of closing the browser, or if you're not able to do that, just reboot the computer and wipe out temp files.

wainuitech
27-03-2017, 05:07 PM
A lot of people Fall for them because they use scare tactics. Red arrow in Picture threatens to delete the HDD + theres an audio some of the time that threatens certains things or beeps like an engaged signal.

As mentioned in earlier post - know a site that will trigger them :devil:devil

OH NO!!!!! Now what am I going to do :D :lol:

7972 7973

sarel
27-03-2017, 11:40 PM
Yep. Got them too. Just restart.

sarel

28-03-2017, 09:33 AM
I know plenty of sites that will trigger them, you naughty people shouldnt be browsing on those :)
Some of the cloud storage sites are particularly bad , you have to disable adblocker & ghostery to get access, then all hell breaks loose

Im specifically enquiring about facebook , not other random sites.
Just wondering if anyone else is hearing of issues with facebook .

Im guessing its another issue with rouge inline adverts . And people still say you should support the website owners and not use adblockers
Ablockers etc stop most of this crap .
Cheers

28-03-2017, 09:51 AM
One of the PC's I have here, the owner rang that popup helpline, gave CC details, gave them remote access (arrgh)

So now we have a PC that 'hackers' have had remote access to. No way of knowing what they may have done in that time they were on it.
Possibly will be OK, just no way to be sure. I removed the citrix client , but the scammers could have put anything on it in that time.

I know of someone who, after the popup they rang the ph number, signed up for a years 'support', then a year later signing up for another year :badpc:

Just too many are that gullible. There's money in this for the scammers

bevy121
28-03-2017, 12:16 PM
you can quite often close those windows by holding down the escape button while clicking the close "x" at the same time....

28-03-2017, 01:18 PM
you can quite often close those windows by holding down the escape button while clicking the close "x" at the same time....

carefull now
those popups can be coded so that the X actually does something different.
As per MS last year, they made their popup's "x" actually a "yes,agree,run"
Im carefull not to name that MS popup in case BM is watching :)