PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft and 'funny' phone calls

MPG
24-03-2017, 04:28 PM
Hi,

My wife has received 5 phone calls in the last 2 days which seem very suspicious. The 1st phone call sounded as if it was from a call centre and the voice was of a male, possibly Indian. He indicated he was from Microsoft (red flag goes up). She terminated the call quite quickly. The second call seemed to be from the same person and this time she gave him a piece of her mind (politely but firmly). Since then we have had 3 further phone calls which we didn't answer as we were out.

I have just checked our phone log expecting to see that either the number was withheld or originated from overseas. But no! 3 of the calls are associated with a NZ number and a name and initials. I have searched for the name and this person is not in Whitepages. I did a reverse lookup and I know where the call supposedly comes from. I have checked local businesses in the area and the exchange number is not quite right. The other 2 calls came from a different city but bear similar hallmarks. In this case a name is not associated with the number.

Is or has anyone on the forum had similar experiences? I have refrained, so far, from calling the 2 numbers. I suspect the phone numbers, and in one case the name, is spoofed. Is anyone aware if this is possible? From what my wife has told me it sounds very much like a MS scam. If that is so, I can't understand why they would spoof a local NZ number.

Any advice gratefully received.

Michael

linw
24-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Friend got a couple of similar sounding calls. The nice Indian gentleman said he was in Auckland!

Terry Porritt
24-03-2017, 05:01 PM
Don't even bother to waste your time with them. Just put the phone down on them, don't give them time of day.

All telemarketers/surveys/scammers/"Microsoft Technical Department"/charities/6 oclock callers/etc etc have the phone cut off on them as soon as someone replies to me giving my name with "and how are you...?" :banana

Geek4414
24-03-2017, 05:01 PM
Friend got a couple of similar sounding calls. The nice Indian gentleman said he was in Auckland!

Yes, the MS scam calls have been rampant in the past few weeks. I had one that sounded like he made the call in the middle of a VERY busy and noisy New Deli market, I gave him a piece of my mind and hung up.

There has been loads of pop up scams as well. I know of 3 people who have fallen victim to these pop up scams, unfortunately they caved and called the number on the screen, allowed them to remote into their PC and gave them credit card number! Luckily they did call me (even after the fact), then I told them to immediately call the bank to cancel their credit card, apparently the bank told them that there have been loads of cases since January.

The fourth one contacted me before she got stung, I logged into her PC and saw that "Call Microsoft Toll Free ..." but it has a 09 number, 09 isn't toll free, so SCAM!

The scam was not particularly clever, it did block Ctrl-Alt-Del, so you can't easily bring up Task Manager to kill the browser. But it did not lock the rest of the computer, I can still run task manager manually from the run dialog box and killed the browser that way.

Please spread the word and let every one know about these scams.

pctek
25-03-2017, 07:12 AM
The 1st phone call sounded as if it was from a call centre and the voice was of a male, possibly Indian. He indicated he was from Microsoft (red flag goes up).

They have been doing this for years now. Amazing you haven't had them before.
Yes, it's a scam.
Yes they come from India.

No, nothing to do with Microsoft.
Damn annoying they are.......

Zippity
25-03-2017, 08:42 AM
I had a call from an "Indian" sounding gentleman a couple of days ago, asking for the computer owner, claiming to be from MS and advising me that my Windows PC had been hacked and was full of spam.

After I quite rudely gave him his pedigree and told him where to stick his unwanted advise, the referred to me by name and told me that I should not speak to him in such a manner.

What really pissed me off, was that he knew my name and my address :(

Brucem
25-03-2017, 08:50 AM
Some time ago we had some calls asking that we turn the computer on, our reply is "What computer, we don't have one", The caller is incredulous but rapidly loses interest.

dugimodo
25-03-2017, 08:52 AM
Part of the reason I don't have a land line, I was getting more calls from telemarketers and scammers than people I know.

Some make a game out of it, seeing how long they can string them along acting confused etc.

linw
25-03-2017, 09:06 AM
Yea, some of the string along records are hilarious! A nice simple one is to say, "Can you hang on a minute as someone is at the door" then leave the receiver off the hook. Wastes their time if nothing else.

b....
25-03-2017, 09:14 AM
We have never had any of the MS etc spam calls.
Possibly because we have had an unlisted phone number for over 30 years?