PDA

View Full Version : MKV file to .mp4 connundrum

Bryan
24-03-2017, 04:20 PM
I have a number of movie files that are .mp4 and play well on my Win10 Pro PC. However, I have copied some of my DVDs onto the PC using MKV (current version). The movie file ends with .mkv and do not play on the PC. This was not always so. The played quite happily up until about two upgrades of Win 10. I am not sure when they ceased to play.

I can associate he files to VLC and yes the do play then but I would much rather have them play without VLCs help.

It would seem that my media player may have altered. Anyone have any suggestions as to what player will play .mg4, .mkv and all the others?

I do have K-lite codex pack and wonder if I should see if there is an upgrade that might include .mk.

wratterus
24-03-2017, 04:54 PM
Any semi-recent media player should play .mkv. I know for a fact the built in Win10 player will play them. So if it's not, there's something else going on. What's wrong with using VLC?

Bryan
24-03-2017, 06:31 PM
My problem is that I can't put the files on an external drive and play it via the USB on my Sony Bravia. It only accepts .mp4 apparently. VLC doesn't help.

Lawrence
24-03-2017, 07:43 PM
Try Icecream Media converter http://icecreamapps.com/Media-Converter/

Never had a problem converting vid's with this

Bryan
24-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Thanks for that Lawrence. Looks like the thing I need but when trying to download I get the message "Download not available". I will try again later and see if it does become available.

Lawrence
24-03-2017, 09:18 PM
Looks like icecream media converter is not available at the moment

The other good one is Freemake Converter but you have to be careful installing as it add's unwanted crap if you not careful ,pays to run adwcleaner afterwards just to be certain

blanco
24-03-2017, 09:27 PM
Your Klite (MPC-HC) should play MKV if you select the formats in the options panel.
If you want to convert the video files, try Format Factory - free and easy to use for
both Video and Audio conversions: http://www.pcfreetime.com/

wainuitech
24-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Another oldie but good is Handbrake https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php Its very powerful and lots of custom settings if you want, its not as "pretty" to use as some of the others, but the documentation via Help is excellent.

EDITED: WARNING -- if you try format factory DONT use site 1 download link - its got an infection in it, Nod32 goes nuts blocking. Site 2 is not triggering. Again as above watch out what it installs.

blanco
24-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Wainui, Quote "if you try format factory DONT use site 1 download link - its got an infection in it,
There are a couple of add-ons - Norton and Picosmos image editing suite, both of which can be declined.
Maybe Nod32 is picking these pups up.
I just updated from version 3 to 4 using that link and all is working ok. Converted a sample MKV clip to
MPG which plays fine on my default player MPC-HC.

Bryan
25-03-2017, 06:50 AM
Thank you all. I managed to get a copy of Icecream from Softpedia, It worked just fine so thank you Lawrence. I also tried Handbrake and that too is great.

So, to copy my DVDs to the PC HDD I will continue to use MKV and to convert to .mp4 I will use initially either Icecream or Handbrake. Thank you for the other suggestions which I will Take on-board.

dugimodo
25-03-2017, 08:46 AM
It's not free but I rip with DVD fab direct to MP4, quick and easy.

wainuitech
25-03-2017, 09:18 AM
There are a couple of add-ons - Norton and Picosmos image editing suite, both of which can be declined.
Maybe Nod32 is picking these pups up.
I just updated from version 3 to 4 using that link and all is working ok. Converted a sample MKV clip to
MPG which plays fine on my default player MPC-HC.

This is what nod is picking up on Format Factory - it wont even allow you to download. Any site that allows that sort of "extra" software to be attached is asking for troubles.

As I mentioned its ONLY on Site 1 link, Site 2 allows the download.

micky
25-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Have you tried to cast the MKV file from win 10? It works on my LG smart tv! You have to have tv turned on then right click MKV in explorer cast to should have a list of devices on your network to cast to.