PDA

View Full Version : Scanners

07-01-2002, 09:31 AM
I've been looking at scanners recently and would like some feedback. I want, among other things to scan film negatives.

I have looked at the Canoscan 660 and the HP 5470, plus I see on the web that both Epson and some others have scanners with this feature. I don't really want to have the negative scanner as a separate iten - would prefer it built in (tho not critical on that).

Does anyone else have one like this, and how does it perform?

08-01-2002, 06:56 PM
Good luck Ian, this is exactly what I was wanting to know a few months ago. As a freelance photographer, I was keen to get something which scanned negs as well as prints, but I was told to steer clear of scanners which do both by the guy in the local photo processing lab. He said he'd seen the quality of them and they were far inferior to dedicated neg scanners. At this stage I have gone for a basis scanner and get my negs burned off onto a CD which gives me the best of both worlds. Having said that, I am happy to be corrected if any of these dual scanners do the business. I was looking at the Canon 660U, 1240U (I think) and also a Hewlett Packard one. I didn't know enough about the resolution etc. to make an informed decision about which was the best (I take photos, I don't profess to know anything about the technical side of things!), and at the time, none of the shops locally had any of those models in stock so I was unable to see them in action. A shop called Bits and Bytes in Palmerston North has heaps of models of scanners so when (and if) I get around to upgrading, I will go there to have a look at the different models in action. If you can do this, a good test would be to take in a neg and a print you are happy with and get them to scan both - a print out would be awesome, but that may be pushing your luck! I hope you get plenty of posts on this subject - I didn't have much luck when I posted a similar request a few months ago - because I'd be interested in the answers myself.

08-01-2002, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Faye. I'm in Auckland but I come from PN originally and was down there over Christmas. I actually went into Big Byte (was that the store you meant??). I was appalled at the complete (and I mean COMPLETE) lack of knowledge the salesman had. I knew at least 3-4 times as much as he did and I'd only begun looking at scanners the day before! He didn't even know about their sale prices and was going to ask someone else when I pointed out the big signs all over the store. I seriously wondered whether he actually worked there!! My advice, stay clear of them!!!

09-01-2002, 12:47 AM
Hello Ian,

Have a look at the Acer scanners, model no's 620PT (parallel port model) or the 1240UT (USB larger res model)
both these scanners are very good and the 620PT is available at a bargain price, as it's a run out model (sub $280.00)performs very well, providing your printer runs off the USB port(would'nt really recommend sharing the parallel port between scanner and printer)the 1240UT is around $390.00 and like the 620 has received very good reviews.

Alan

10-01-2002, 08:09 PM
Hi Ian ,
I have a GENIUS COLORPAGE HR6.
Scanning 35mm slides and negs with great success.
Look at there web site at www.genius-kye.com or www.geniusnet.com.hk or www.kye.co.uk.
Using win98 + usb connection.
Hope this helps.