PDA

View Full Version : Phantom device randomly appearing on Network

dugimodo
14-03-2017, 04:47 PM
As per the title when I look at the network in windows 10 explorer I sometimes see a Huawei Y360-U72 listed. If I check the properties and get the MAC address it doesn't match anything that my router lists as connected though which is weird.
Making me a little paranoid so I added the MAC address to my blocked list but I'm baffled how something can show up in the windows network without showing on the router devices page - either as connected or otherwise.

The Router is a freebie Huawei and I've changed the admin password and don't give out my Wi-Fi password. Also whenever I notice this happen and check the properties it generally disappears out of the list pretty quickly.
Has happened on more than 1 PC one of which is a fresh install so it's not a ghost of a previous device, and nobody I know owns one of these (google suggests it's a smartphone).

Any Thoughts ?

wainuitech
14-03-2017, 05:16 PM
Someone may have tried to connect that was in range, and its a ghost detect.

Had that happen on my Network, a customers phone tried to auto connect but couldn't, stayed there for a day at least before it finally disappeared.

Driftwood
14-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Some smart arse looking for some free data.

15-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Win10 automatically shared your wifi password with contacts & acquaintances. :badpc:
Might be that ?

Not sure if that 'feature ' has been killed off yet , or what happens to contacts the wifi pass has allready been given to
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30/windows_10_wi_fi_sense/

dugimodo
15-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Nope, I disabled that feature. Also nobody in my contacts lives within several km of my house.
Hasn't appeared again since I added the MAC address to the blocked list, saw it 3 times since Friday before then.

CliveM
15-03-2017, 10:40 AM
One of your neighbors kids trying to be clever?
It seems that you have it sorted now anyway.
I have an app on my tablet that tells me exactly what is on my network and will let me know if anything trys to join it.