PDA

View Full Version : Draytek 2760 - how to assign static addresses to devices on the LAN?

Tony
12-03-2017, 04:43 PM
I currently assign static IP addresses to a PC by going to the adapter properties and assigning the address there. I have been told that is "old school" and I should be doing it via my router configuration. I'm generally OK with old school :) but I thought I'd give it a go. I can't see how to do it via the router web interface. Unfortunately the manual is not super-comprehensible. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

TIA

dugimodo
12-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Stick with how you're doing it I say. The only setting In my router I can think of is the lease time, which is not static but does tend to keep the same IP as long as you log on before the lease time expires and can be set quite long.
Personally I use DHCP but set it to start from 100 so I can set a few static IP addresses in the <100 range and not get conflicts. I stay away from the 1-50 range as a rule, habit from my days going to LAN parties because every man and his dog uses the first few.

MushHead
13-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Not sure about the Draytek configuration interface, but in the general case, you'd go to your router's DHCP settings & set up reservations for the devices you want to assign a static IP to. This just gets the DHCP server to make a link between a particular device's ethernet MAC address and a chosen (known) IP address.

wratterus
13-03-2017, 08:57 AM
I definitely agree - recommend use reservations rather than static addresses. On the Drayteks I've used, under 'LAN' there is a 'Bind IP to MAC' submenu. That is where you setup reservations. I've got a DV130 here and it's very easy to add reservations. :)

Tony
13-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Is this what we are talking about?

wratterus
13-03-2017, 02:41 PM
Nope....on my DV130 it looks like this.7928

Tony
13-03-2017, 04:30 PM
OK, gotcha. This is what I see:

The only manual I have is totally silent on this panel - doesn't mention it at all. I'm not sure whether the column on the left is showing actual bindings or potential bindings. Do I now have to add them via the ADD button or are they already done?

wratterus
13-03-2017, 04:47 PM
Column on the left is the ARP table - so yes, potential bindings if you like.

You can just select one of those, click 'add', name it if you want, then click OK. You can change the IP manually if you want, you could also manually enter a MAC address if you want to do that for any reason.

You'll also need to enable binding up the top left. :)

Tony
13-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Thanks for that. I've now managed to find an up to date manual that is telling me the same thing - but not in such comprehensible English.