PDA

View Full Version : Sabertooth X58 Gigabit LAN

bk T
26-02-2017, 09:33 AM
My brother from Singapore emailed me for help:

Motherboard: Asus Saberthooth X58

The LAN card could not connect to speed above 100 Mbps whereas other PCs in the family could connect up to between 600 ~850 Mbps.

He has swapped LAN cables with other PCs but still couldn't connect to higher speeds, clearly shows that it's not a cable issue.

He has also updated the MB's BIOS to the latest i.e. ver 1402

He has done a clean reinstall of Win 10 yesterday, just to rule out it's not Windows issue.

User Manual clearly says it supports Gigabit LAN 7888

What could be the problem ?

linw
26-02-2017, 10:06 AM
You don't mention checking on the LAN controller setting for "Speed and Duplex". Wonder if it is set to 100mbs?

dugimodo
26-02-2017, 10:45 AM
The clean install should have sorted any speed settings in theory, a bit of a Nuclear option but it discounts most software issues. Another way would be to use a Linux Live CD.
Could be a the LAN driver, particularly if the same one was used both times. Also are there any devices between the PC and the router that could be causing it?

The Curious thing to me is the 600-850 statement, you connect at 100 or 1000 not in between, is he perhaps talking about speed test results which is a different kind of problem?
The router isn't limiting him maybe? someone could have set rules in the router if it's firmware supports that and it could be port specific or based on MAC address which would prevent swapping ports or cables fixing it.

Easiest option is to try a different LAN card or USB to LAN adapter, they are fairly cheap

bk T
26-02-2017, 11:06 AM
The Curious thing to me is the 600-850 statement, you connect at 100 or 1000 not in between, is he perhaps talking about speed test results which is a different kind of problem?

Yes, he is talking about speed tests with Speedtest.net.

He also bought another NIC, plugged in produced same results.

Google search produces quite a few people with similar issues.

Motherboard issue?

bk T
26-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Linux Live CD is rocket science to him, he is 70+

He doesn't want to go the the moon. LOL

dugimodo
26-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Doesn't seem like a motherboard issue, but I have no real new suggestions either. Have to wait for someone better at networking to reply to the thread I guess, it is one of my weaker areas.

100M will work over 2 pairs of wires and 1G needs all 4 pairs in a cat 5/6 cable but normally if the device at both ends is capable of 1G it will auto detect that and try to use 1G regardless of the cable and fail to work if any pairs are missing.
I know this because the LAN wiring to my Lounge used to be split into 2 x 100M connections with 1 cable and to get it to connect with 1G equipment I had to put a 100M switch at one end so it would auto negotiate to that speed.

So unless there's a 100M device somewhere in the circuit from the PC to the router or the router is deliberately set to limit the connection to 100M (or only has 100M ports) then I'm stumped.

chiefnz
26-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Yes, he is talking about speed tests with Speedtest.net.

Speedtest is router to internet speed not LAN?

1) Are the latest drivers installed? Make sure you're using the manufacturer's drivers rather than a out of the box Windows 10 driver.
2) Definitely check the speed settings on the card and make sure the card isn't "throttled" at half-duplex.
3) I would definitely try a live Linux CD as well. That will tell you for sure if its hardware related or a driver/OS issue.
4) Is it possible to get another router or a gigabit switch? That will rule out the router as the issue?
5) Has he swapped the port used on the router... so a PC plugged into a port which is reporting a 1Gb connection swap that for the Sabretooth rig and see if the result "follows" the Sabretooth box?

cheers,

bk T
26-02-2017, 03:56 PM
Swapped the PCs (3 + this one, in the house) around and this is the only one having problem. It's not the router.

dugimodo
28-02-2017, 06:31 PM
It most probably isn't the router but just swapping it doesn't prove that, some routers can have rules based on MAC address which will follow the PC. Somebody would have to have deliberately set that limit though so it does seem unlikely.

bk T
28-02-2017, 07:40 PM
OK -- will email him to get someone to reset the router (probably it's beyond his capability) and see how it goes, Thanks

01-03-2017, 09:44 AM
The LAN card could not connect to speed above 100 Mbps whereas other PCs in the family could connect up to between 600 ~850 Mbps.

You need to be very clear about terminology, if you want usefull replies :)
is the 100mbs actual connect speed or speedtest speed, or both
600-800 is a internet speedtest speed (?)
Are you mixing up MBs & Mbs , that alone could a/c for the difference

Go into Win network settings, see what the connect actually is .Turn off, unplug,plug in, Restart & see what connect speed is
Make sure all power save settings for the lan card are turned off (in device manager)

It could just be some weird incompatibility between LAN card & router, dropping the connect down to 100.
Easiest fix is to replace the LAN card (or router/switch)

01-03-2017, 10:00 AM
It seems through bad design, that board will never get Gb throughput. It will max out at around 700Mbs (googled it)
Still should be more than fast enough though and alot better than 100