PDA

View Full Version : Philips 42" Monitor

Bryden
17-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Last week I bought a new computer (NUC), along with a Philips 42" monitor..... I am running W10 . For some reason the icons on the desktop shift.... I place them all where I want them, and within a short time they have moved - I realised this morning that they are now positioning for a much smaller monitor so it seems that the computer is not recognising the size of this gadget.... any suggestions please?

TIA

Bryden

PS I have also moved over to Thunderbird.... I got tired of Windows Live Mail shutting down on me.... so far so good.... one thing is I cannot seem to choose formats I would like and have them stored, so I have to adjust every time I write another email....

BTW I love the new computer - so tiny.... my son's face was a study when he came home from work and looked for the computer - it is tucked under the monitor..... grin

KarameaDave
18-02-2017, 07:11 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=set+default+font+in+thunderbird

pctek
18-02-2017, 08:30 AM
For some reason the icons on the desktop shift.... I place them all where I want them, and within a short time they have moved - I realised this morning that they are now positioning for a much smaller monitor

Untick AutoArrange Icons.

Lawrence
18-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Last week I bought a new computer (NUC), along with a Philips 42" monitor.....

Was the NUC a Intel?
They look very interesting but not cheap especially the higher spec'd ones

Guess for every day use and not gaming they would suit most who did not want a desktop

wainuitech
18-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Was the NUC a Intel?
They look very interesting but not cheap especially the higher spec'd ones

Guess for every day use and not gaming they would suit most who did not want a desktop

you wouldn't use one for a gaming option, well not serious gaming, maybe online games.

But price wise, they are not really any more expensive than a std desktop PC, just priced out a NUC from my suppliers, i3, 4GB memory, 1TB drive under $700.

Lawrence
18-02-2017, 05:45 PM
See you can get replacement boards as they would be no diff to any other comp but more expensive considering the board comes complete with CPU

Desktop the board goes around $130/150,the NUC $300+ if you can get your particular model

dugimodo
19-02-2017, 01:28 AM
I use one as a media PC in the lounge and if you are a Steam customer you can stream games to it, works really well and has no appreciable Lag. Great for full screen gaming on the Big TV :) Mines only an i3 and I play driving and fighting games on it with a wireless controller. It uses the horsepower of my gaming PC so all the NUC needs to do is provide the interface. They also come with a bracket to mount them to the back of the monitor but I find it inconvenient in practice.

As to the question at hand, maybe it's not detecting the monitor correctly on startup and setting the resolution low? that'd cause the icons to all rearrange to fit and they don't always move back when the resolution rights itself.
I know for mine I need to make sure the monitor is on before I turn on the PC or it has no sound (I use the HDMI out via a receiver to the TV) but I haven't had the issues you mention.

Video drivers all installed correctly?, set to the native resolution of the screen ?

Richard
19-02-2017, 11:01 AM
The icons probably get lost in that much real estate. Don't you have to sit about 10 feet back from a screen that size?

Bryden
20-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Thanks for your replies.... Untick Auto Arrange icons - where do I find that command please?

The NUC was $869 (PB Tech) it is Intel Core i7-6770HQ up to 3.5 GHz - 2 x DDR4
SODIMM.2 x M.2 SSD slot. I don't want it for gaming.... The monitor was 999 and has USB etc. in the back. One of the USB ports on the NUC can be used for charging phones etc. I am running W10 Home - which was installed by PB Tech.

autechre
21-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Thanks for your replies.... Untick Auto Arrange icons - where do I find that command please?

In Win10, right click on the desktop, go to View, untick auto arrange icons.

wainuitech
21-02-2017, 08:51 AM

The NUC was $869 (PB Tech) it is Intel Core i7-6770HQ up to 3.5 GHz - 2 x DDR4
SODIMM.2 x M.2 SSD slot. I don't want it for gaming.... The monitor was 999 and has USB etc. in the back. One of the USB ports on the NUC can be used for charging phones etc. I am running W10 Home - which was installed by PB Tech.

You sure that is what they actually charged you ?? :illogical

That's Well under wholesale price and still needs GST added, + then you need to add in a HDD, as well as the OS. NO ONE else in NZ is selling a complete unit that cheap. ( not legally anyway)

The cheapest PBTech have in those specs is $1033 + all the above required.

Bryden
23-02-2017, 08:27 AM
I did the Untick AutoArrange Icons but they still have a mind of their own.... they line up down the left side of the monitor in alphabetical order.... sigh.... I tried Desklock but that didn't help either.... maybe I just have to get used to this arrangement.

Also, even though I have Lock Taskbar ticked, during the day the Taskbar gets wider and I have to untick Lock Taskbar, shrink it down to the smaller size, and re tick Lock Taskbar and that survives until the next time.....