PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - how to remove failed Windows 10 upgrade from Windows Update

wratterus
16-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Hi all....

I've seen this a bunch of times now, and haven't been able to solve it.

This seems to occur when a Win10 upgrade was scheduled through windows update, (seen it on Win7 and Win8) but for some reason failed. Windows Update still works good as gold when 'check for updates' is clicked, but every time it's opened fresh, that error is still there.

I've tried all the usual windows update reset stuff incl wiping out software distribution, but all the normal resets don't seem to remove that error. I'm sure that an upgrade install would, but as it doesn't actually cause any trouble, I've never gone that far.

Anyone else come across this and been able to sort it out easily?

Thanks.

wainuitech
16-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Have you tried:

Go into the C drive, look for the Hidden Folder it creates when downlaoding and installing and delete it. Folder $WINDOWS.~BT

Being lazy :D I was going to write this out, but hey quicker to copy paste 2nd part is important part.

Click Start and search for Disk Cleanup. Right-click the application that appears, and select Run as administrator. Select the drive you want to clean up --this should be your system drive --and click OK.
Click on Clean up system files, and select the drive again. In the list you’ll see Temporary Windows installation files. If this contains a sizable number of files, select it and click OK to remove the contents.

What resets did you try -- Were these any of them. https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html Option 3 may be the best one.

wratterus
16-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Thanks for that Wainui - that machine is now gone, but next time I get one I'll try deleting the $windows.... folder and see if that makes a difference. I had done disk cleanup, and while I hadn't run that exact #3 bat file through, I'd pretty much done everything that it does.

16-02-2017, 04:50 PM
download & run GWX_control_panel

It will remove all the 10 leftovers & block/remove it from Winupdate
There should have been a Win7 update that in fact removed it regardless

wratterus
17-02-2017, 09:00 AM
That's a good idea.

Yes, I think 'should' is the operative word there haha.

linw
17-02-2017, 11:44 AM
"Should" is the techo's most used word!!

CYaBro
17-02-2017, 11:56 AM
"Should" is the techo's most used word!!

Same with doctors!

linw
18-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Same with the snakeoil/"health" product suppliers!

wratterus
15-03-2017, 11:03 AM
So I had another computer with a similar issue - this time windows update was saying the update was ready to install, however the computer would just reboot normally when the restart button was pressed. I went through the full list of suggestions in this thread, incl never10 and GWX control panel. No joy! it's not possible to run windows update manually in this situation, unlike the previous ones I've seen where you can.

Any other ideas? Haha.

wainuitech
15-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Have you tried THIS HERE (http://www.infoworld.com/article/2974479/microsoft-windows/how-to-get-rid-of-the-your-upgrade-to-windows-10-is-ready-lock-on-windows-update-in-win7-and-8-1.html) -- Ignore all the pre woffle and go down to the steps.

wratterus
15-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Excellent - again, I don't have the computer here anymore, but I'll try that next time. That is the first thing I've seen that is actually talking about this specific issue. I found it very hard to sift through the thousands of 'windows update not working' posts and find something relevant, so thanks heaps! :D

wainuitech
15-03-2017, 04:03 PM
I found it very hard to sift through the thousands of 'windows update not working' Yeah aint it "fun", for most searches so many replies and working out whats going to work or not. Biggest thing I find is change the wording in the searchs can bring up many different answers. :)