PDA

View Full Version : AGP + DOS + LCD monitors = no display, sometimes ??????

03-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Any one else had weird issues with some LCD monitors & DOS ?

old PC, Dos6 , AGP vid card (tried both VGA & DVI)
some LCD type monitors just will not work on this system. Nothing displayed (yet those monitors work 100% on modern PCs, even in Dos)
other LCD monitors work 100% on that system

any ideas whats going on ?
I dont want to supply a new monitor & connect it just to see its incompatible & unusable
AGP is so old not sure if I even have another 100% working AGP card to try, and there was more than 1 AGP spec with different card slots(voltages were different) :badpc:

There are very good reasons that they have to use such an old system, please dont say upgrade, they cant. :)

Anyone seen that sort of thing before ?

wainuitech
03-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Yep seen very similar. Had older PC's (windows 98, even some early XP's ) that simply wouldn't work on a LCD screen, no matter which one I attached. Drag out a heavy old CRT and away they go.

Kame
03-02-2017, 04:32 PM
It can be due to the monitor not being able to go at the lower resolution needed for DOS. 640x480? since it's below their supported resolution. However, running DOS within a Window can solve the issue with resolutions because the OS handles it.

You maybe able to change to an alternative DOS that may have improved the handling of monitors like FreeDOS, DR DOS and PC DOS. They should be MS DOS compatible.