PDA

View Full Version : DISCONNECTS!!!

06-01-2002, 03:45 PM
Okay, i get disconnected approximately twice every minute (no sh*t) sometimes its okay, most times its not, i only have one line that is used as the home phone line too, i have both call waiting which i put *52 into disbale call waiting thing and i have call minder (answer phone) which works okay when im connected, its REALLY annoying and seems to be getting worse as it never used to happen, im using ZFREE could that be the problem?

06-01-2002, 03:55 PM
At a quess it sounds like congestion and you arent the first person having the same sort of problem ....sounds like your Internet Provider

06-01-2002, 04:46 PM
It could be one of many things. The most common are noise on your phone line...extension cords for the phone/puter or your settings may need adjusting. If you search through the posts here and by catergory you will find some answers but I suggest your first step is to ring your ISP helpdesk and telk to them...if it is them they should be able to help with the problem. Try telecom...if thats who you are through next and then finally look at your phone/extensions etc...try disconnecting your phone to see if that is causing the problem and same for any extension leads in the house....especially ones running to your puter.

06-01-2002, 05:04 PM
Do you have a monitored home alarm? - these have a dialler in them which can interrupt your phone line. Even if the alarm is not activated, it may often ring data into the monitoring service. Not likely, but worth checking.

07-01-2002, 01:13 AM
Congestion doesnt cause disconnections. It causes slow data transfer, but not the sort of disconnections that are described here.
Pretty much the only thing that kicks you off the net is line noise, which could be caused by damn near anything, usually electric fences in rural areas, heavy electrical machinary in industrial areas, and in all other areas, goblins/rain/sun spots

07-01-2002, 03:52 PM
Well, there are power pylon things behind our house, we have an alarm, and also the phone cord from the computer is very long (10m i think...) and its plugged into a double phone plug adaptor with the portable phone plug. could it simple be these problems?, do you think it would affect like DSL or cable or jetstream too because im thinking of getting a faster connection soon.