PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to buy a Computer

06-01-2002, 01:46 PM
It seems that everyone has a best and worst place they have brought a computer from with tales of different types of service etc....for a first time buyer this was a nightmare and took many weeks before deciding. Luckily I was steered clear of the mainstream retailers and have ended up with a good value for money system and a company that backs its product.
I got mine from a company in Auckland called PB Technologies and have been most impressed. Their back up is brilliant too... when my motherboard turned out to be faulty they replaced that and the ram and the processor just to be sure... all without asking.
Is there any other companies out there that you know of that are good to purchase from?? What about service and repairs??...or upgrading? Is there anything buyers should check/look for with the retailers?

06-01-2002, 03:20 PM
Most places dedicated to just PC stuff are the best because the people that work there always know what they're talking about and they have a much better range. Dont buy a comp from a electronic store like Noel lemming or Bond and Bond cuz there computers are always way behing in terms of speed/power and are usually way more expensive. Just make sure you've read the agreement on repairs/replacements before you buy.

06-01-2002, 10:54 PM
If in the Ackland area, dont go past TL Systems, Onehunga

They will build you a custom system to your requirements. They even provide the facility to spec which components you require. This way you know exactly what is inside the box - no generic noname stuff.

Maybe a little more expensive initially, but worth the xtra in the long run

Whole heartedly recommended

06-01-2002, 10:54 PM
If in the Ackland area, dont go past TL Systems, Onehunga

They will build you a custom system to your requirements. They even provide the facility to spec which components you require. This way you know exactly what is inside the box - no generic noname stuff.

Maybe a little more expensive initially, but worth the xtra in the long run

Whole heartedly recommended

07-01-2002, 01:49 AM
LolLOl.... there is going to be a massive amont of posts here. I brought my puter from Noel Leemings in Dunedin, and kudos to them.... they have been excellent.

If you are looking for an 'off the shelf' computer, I would highly recommend the Packard Bell brand. They are a very underated computer, and I have found their help desk, well, helpful LOL.

I think you just have to suss a dealer out yourself. You will always find someone who is being treated badly at the same shop that is giving others exemplary service to others..... If you are a first time buyer, I would go for something that Leemings, Harvey Normans stocks. I get the feeling you get better reliability. But then, I expect that this will be contradicted !!!!

Thats the fun of Computers

Regards, ALAN :-)

P/S: If this don't make sense, it is 1.50am LOL

07-01-2002, 09:52 AM
lol....go to bed alan....that was the idea of this post...lots of people shift or look at upgrading/buying fo the first time and end up spending days hunting through a confusing maze of information and advertising trying to get the best deal they can and quite often things dont live up to the promises so if we can give them a starting point in their search and a bit of simple info then that can hopefully save them many hours of anguish.... one person I speak to in chat just spent $3500 on a system that doesnt even come close to my $2500 one in terms of speed, ram and drive...he had been saving for about a year and is now very dissapointed to say the least. As for leemings and Harvey Norman both are great for Electrical goods however I worked for HN for 6 years and while their prices are competitive and service excellent there is better out there in computers.