PDA

View Full Version : Canon scanner not scanning after W10 update

Whenu
13-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Went to scan some photos in Windows photo gallery on Wed, got as far as the window that lets you set preferences, ie, dpi, grayscale, etc.
Press scan or preview and the panel disappears, same thing happens in Paint and Gimp. Can download from the camera ok.
Have gone through Device Manager and deleted the scanner, then re-installed the drivers to best available, but no luck.

wainuitech
13-01-2017, 09:33 PM
You may need to reinstall the older Photo Viewer. By default its not available in W10, but simple to put back.

Download the Reg entry, simply run it and merge the file back. Direct download Link - https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/87052d1467040726-windows-photo-viewer-restore-windows-10-a-restore_windows_photo_viewer_current_user.reg

Allow the reg change.

Or under option one on the site: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/14312-windows-photo-viewer-restore-windows-10-a.html

Its one of the first options I put back in a fresh W10 install. Many people hate the new photo viewer App. :)

Note: you then also have the option to open photos in the older viewer , right click open with -- etc etc

Failing that -- What model of canon Scanner is it ?

Whenu
13-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Did that, but no change.

Speedy Gonzales
14-01-2017, 07:36 AM
Same thing happened here. With the MX436. Used to work. MP Navigator still works. I can scan wirelessly, but Paint doesnt work.

It's not the first time an update has done this

wainuitech
14-01-2017, 11:17 AM
To repeat the question: "What model of canon Scanner is it ? "

John H
14-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Strange coincidence. I have an HP Photosmart C6180 All in One that similarly refuses to scan. It will print and fax (not that I ever fax...) but the error message on scanning is to the effect that another programme or computer is using the networked HP imaging device - try again later...

I have tried:
1. rebooting the computer
2. rebooting the printer (then rebooting both simultaneously)
3. uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software from a fresh downloaded latest version
4. turning off eset NOD32 temporarily, and searching without result for any eset rule I may have set inadvertently that is interfering with the scanner operation.

Nothing has worked. HP Solution Centre still claims that "another programme or computer is using the networked HP imaging device - try again later."

I am not saying that this fault is analogous to what is going on with the Canon of the OP, but I am stumped at present so thought I would post in case there is a common solution. Win10.

Whenu
14-01-2017, 12:49 PM
To repeat the question: "What model of canon Scanner is it ? "

It's a MG 2460

CliveM
14-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Are you using the drivers from Canon or just letting Windows install what they have automatically.

I had the same problem with my Brother multifunction printer and getting the drivers from the Brother support site fixed it.

Whenu
14-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Just the Windows choice, will have a look at Canon's site.

wainuitech
14-01-2017, 01:48 PM
Are you using the drivers from Canon or just letting Windows install what they have automatically.

I had the same problem with my Brother multifunction printer and getting the drivers from the Brother support site fixed it.

Yep, had similar the other week, the persons Printer would print fine, but the scanner actually had separate drivers. Reinstalled the drivers and away it went.

Looking at Canons site https://www.canon.co.nz/printers/pixma-mg2460/support?option=drivers They have a full package which should contain printer and scanner.

Have you got installed the Scanner App that Windows can Supply ? Its a separate App you get from the Store, simply open the Store, search for "Scan" (without the "") and select it. Still needs the Actual Scanner drivers from the manufacture.

Whenu
14-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Downloaded from here, the complete works, will try the Windows App.

http://www.canondriversoftware.com/canon-pixma-mg2460-driver/

Windows App does the same thing.
From here Wainui?
MG2400 series Full Driver & Software Package (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP)
For Windows Updated

Stupid question, but does the ink level affect the scanning ability? Out of black and low on colour.

Speedy Gonzales
14-01-2017, 03:16 PM
Nope the ink wont affect it. My ink is low too. But it still scans if I use the Android Canon app

wainuitech
14-01-2017, 05:49 PM
The Windows App is only another option to scan. Still needs the actual Scanner drivers to be installed.

To check if the Scanner drivers are working, open Devices and Printers. Single click on the printer to select it ( highlight ) , look up the top, if the Scanner is detected there will be the option to start a scan, if not then its not detected.

Speedy Gonzales
14-01-2017, 06:53 PM
Hmm odd. Somehow I managed to get scanning to work in Paint now. Dont know if it's because I ran MP Navigator and ticked the use the scanner driver option in it or what

But what was missing in devices and printers before has now reappeared (Canon MX430 series Printer WS).

This printer HAS to appear in devices and printers, so you can scan from within a program, like Paint

There is a setup file in one of the folders (MX430SC.inf) that I installed. Wondered if that did something. If it did, it took its time lol.

This is in in the CanonBJ/UPrinter/Canon MX 430 Series folder in Program files folder (the 64 bit folder)

Whenu
14-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Scanner is detected click on "start scan", go through the settings, click preview and nothing happens, click scan and the panel disappears, no scan.