PDA

View Full Version : Spark modem failure

bazmeister
06-01-2017, 10:57 AM
On moving to fiber 15 months ago I was supplied with a new modem. It has crashed and the replacement is to cost me $99.50. (Would have been $200 but because I am a longstanding customer..etc etc.). I am thinking about opposing this quoting the Consumer Quarantee Act, the warranty was only for 12 months, but think I may be "pushing it uphill." Is 15 months a reasonable lifetime for this type of gear, considering I was obliged to take a 2 year term out.

user
06-01-2017, 11:51 AM
I would be upset if I had to buy a new modem every 15 months. I would expect them to last upwards of 3 years or more. I have only had to replace one modem since connecting to broadband many years ago. Ring them up and go for it.

Jedsdad
06-01-2017, 11:54 AM
I would have thought the Consumer Guarantees Act would apply, modems dont go faulty that quickly.
I would ask to speak to a Supervisor, also get them to send you an email setting out what they expect you to pay in case you have to take it further

PeterE
06-01-2017, 12:37 PM
My 15-month old ADSL Spark HG531s V1 modem died on Tuesday. After being on-line tested by Spark I was offered a replacement @ half price too, $49.50. for the ADSL modem.
Took the old one into the local Spark and was sold the new replacement modem. How long should a modem be expected to last for?
P.

wainuitech
06-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Modems can fail at any time, could be a week or Years. But that a side, ring them back and point them to their own Web Site, 24 Month Replacement Warranty - (last entry /bullet point under Tech Details)

https://www.spark.co.nz/shop/internet/modems/spark-hg659b/

Edited:
Same for the Spark HG531s - 24 Month Replacement Warranty

https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-data/equipment/spark-modems/spark-hg531s/

bk T
06-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Never have to pay for Spark Modems. They always give it FREE..

Just have to phone and talk to them nicely and a brand new one will be at your door steps 2~3 working days. Yup, that easy.

I even get FREE spare one every year when my contract expires. All I have to do is pick up the phone and talk to them, although I am not a Philipino. :D

PeterE
06-01-2017, 02:15 PM
Thanks Wainui, you are a star, again.
I phoned Spark and they told me my (old) modem only came with a 12-month warrantee. I explained the website stated 24-month. "Oh that is for ones that are sold now". I reminded her that I have been with Spark "for ever" (long before Spark was dreamed of).
After 'consultation' with a supervisor, it was agreed I would be credited the $49.50 for my account.
Thank you Wainui and Press F1. Happy New Year to everyone.
P.

wainuitech
06-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Good you got a refund peter :)

Had that excuse a couple of times when talking to Spark on a customers behalf (some people feel intimidated talking to help desks) . Was kind of funny when they used the similar wording, That was the previous version, but when asking ( politely) so whats the difference between model <insert Model > and the same model now ? :confused:

Usually followed by um- um -ummmmm one moment I Need to consult my supervisor ---- and the rest as per others own experiences, as mentioned ;)

Chilling_Silence
07-01-2017, 09:35 AM
For what it's worth, those routers only cost Spark around $14 a pop, so don't feel bad pushing them under the CGA to get it free.

bevy121
07-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Same with Vodafone - I've never paid for one yet, and I've had quite a few over the years :)

You just need to be a bit "firm" as well as nice when you talk to them

bk T
07-01-2017, 10:59 AM
Same with Vodafone - I've never paid for one yet, and I've had quite a few over the years :)

You just need to be a bit "firm" as well as nice when you talk to them

Effective communication skill comes into play. :D

bazmeister
07-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Effective communication skill comes into play. :D

Thanks for the advice guys. A "firm" letter/email has been forwarded in order to "get it in writing." Now waiting
breathlessly for the response.....will advise.

bazmeister
11-01-2017, 12:22 PM
Have now received email advising that there will be no charge due to my loyalty etc etc...

PeterE
11-01-2017, 12:55 PM
Well worth the cost of an email for a good result.
Well done.

Chilling_Silence
12-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Have now received email advising that there will be no charge due to my loyalty etc etc...

So it should be! Good stuff :)

16-01-2017, 08:50 AM
...... Is 15 months a reasonable lifetime for this type of gear, considering I was obliged to take a 2 year term out.

Some modems have a 3 year factory warranty. They should last 3years at least . Things can fail, but the importers should factor that into the cost , given NZ CGA laws
15months is not acceptable for most electronic devices (with a few exceptions)

bk T
16-01-2017, 09:03 AM
You can have a brand new one every year for FREE.