PDA

View Full Version : McAfee PC Security

ianhnz
31-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Happy New Year, one and all.

I've been a customer of the NZ Post Office, Telecom and now Sparky for over 40 years and was thinking time to upgrade my Internet security for the new year.

What do you guys think of their McAfee PC Security?

I have used Comodo for years but have found with Windows 10 I have to upgrade it manually every few days.

So be interested in your thoughts?

Ian:banana:banana

Terry Porritt
31-12-2016, 08:19 AM
Well, according to John Mcafee ex CEO of Mcafee, he said "You have no idea how glad I am about that. Itís become the worst piece of SW on the planet. You cannot uninstall, scans all the time, slow as ****, Iíd have fired them, thank goodness Iíve freed from association with that."

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/09/03/john-mcafee-antivirus-is-dead/ :clap :punk

Laggard
31-12-2016, 08:49 AM
+1
Not rated well, do a google search.
Eset seems to be the most popular choice on F1.
It works well for me, and it has excellent local support.

ianhnz
31-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Well, according to John Mcafee ex CEO of Mcafee, he said "You have no idea how glad I am about that. Itís become the worst piece of SW on the planet. You cannot uninstall, scans all the time, slow as ****, Iíd have fired them, thank goodness Iíve freed from association with that."

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/09/03/john-mcafee-antivirus-is-dead/ :clap :punk

Wow Very Outspoken.
I too have a fliphone..

ianhnz
31-12-2016, 08:52 AM
+1
Not rated well, do a google search.
Eset seems to be the most popular choice on F1.
It works well for me, and it has excellent local support.

Any ideas on a good freeware one?
I'm very unwell and on Invalids so no spare cash???

dugimodo
31-12-2016, 09:24 AM
As far as free goes, there is no single solution that's particularly good but you can do ok by combining a few of them.
I use the inbuilt windows defender as my only full time anti-virus/malware then I add occasional scans with the free version of malwarebytes and NOD32s free online scan tool, should be regular but with me it's every 2-6 months when I think about it.

I've gotten away with this since windows 7 came out and not had any trouble BUT you have to be sensible as well, if anyone who can't be relied on not to click things they shouldn't uses your PC you should probably invest in a better solution (and try to educate them). For example any website or pop-up that ever offers to fix your computer or warns you about malware/viruses (Virii?) or out of drivers should be ignored and immediately closed, no E-mail attachment you weren't expecting or from an unknown source should ever be opened, and all the other usual safety precautions etc. Safe browsing & E-mail habits protect you at least as much and maybe more than any software can.

pctek
31-12-2016, 10:54 AM
the worst piece of SW on the planet.

+1

That and Nortons.

Lawrence
31-12-2016, 03:48 PM
It's becoming more important now to have a layered defence not only Antivirus but Anti Exploit and Anti Ramsomeware

Gone are the days when you get a added Toolbar or added AntiVirus when you download some Software

Try Adding some Ransomware stuff to your downloaded Software this will really spoil your day if your not protected

Some idea's https://malwaretips.com/forums/security-configuration-wizard.12/ (https://malwaretips.com/forums/security-configuration-wizard.12/page-2)

Jedsdad
31-12-2016, 08:12 PM
I was using Avira (Free Version) for quite some time, it seemed to find Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP) where others never seemed to.
I also recall it was having good reviews. The only thing that annoyed me was every so often they would try and exhort you to go to the paid version.

I am currently running Avast (Free Version) it seems to be OK, but unsure how good it is over the longer term

I have used McAfee as supplied by Telecom at the time as part of your package, but it wasn't the latest version so not impressed with it. I have also tried Windows Defender, it seems OK but unsure how good it really is but must admit I have it running on my wife's laptop (Ssssh!)
I tried the later version of McAfee (3 years ago) but found it very difficult to get rid of when I decided to try something else. I had to run a special program to get rid of some remnants hanging around

I am currently thinking about reinstalling Avira at least for a short while again to see if it finds anything that the others haven't.

PS, dont like Norton seemed to be using too much CPU at the time, 3 years ago but who knows may be ok now

Neil McC
01-01-2017, 08:09 AM
Going to try this one on my laptop.
Sophos Home
Eset used on my main PC.