PDA

View Full Version : Strange Folders

B.M.
26-12-2016, 07:16 AM
Iíve two folders sitting straight on my ďCĒ drive which I canít associate with any particular programme. One is 6MB and the other 18MB.

As you can see they have the queerest names which I wonít bother to type out.

Anyone shed any light on where they come from and where they belong?

CliveM
26-12-2016, 07:57 AM
Right Click on them BM and select 'Properties" that may tell you a bit more about them.

B.M.
26-12-2016, 08:33 AM
Tried that Clive but no luck.

Here's some more screenshots of what's inside.

7769 7770 7771

CliveM
26-12-2016, 09:06 AM
They look like temporary installation files to me BM. One of our resident experts will not doubt be able to shed some light on them before to long. (they must be still sleeping off Christmas dinners)

dugimodo
26-12-2016, 09:20 AM
Just delete them, left over folders from an install of windows NET framework or something like that. You could try reading the user agreement text files for more hints as to what it is if you want (Eula.txt etc) but I'd just delete them personally. Not a fan of installers that leave stuff behind myself.

wainuitech
26-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Clives spot on :)

They are temp files / folders created when something has been installed.

The first one --- are installation files for the Visual C++ Redistributable.

The Second one is Microsoft .NET Framework.

At some stage a program was installed that required them. ( eg: Cam Software, Drawing / paint programs etc)

If you look at the dates they have been there for some time. Created on 15/6/2015 then modified 17/6/2015 & 19/4/2011

B.M.
26-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Just delete them, left over folders from an install of windows NET framework or something like that. You could try reading the user agreement text files for more hints as to what it is if you want (Eula.txt etc) but I'd just delete them personally. Not a fan of installers that leave stuff behind myself.

Interesting the text files won't open. some help those. :D

Anyway, thanks all, I'll rename them and see if anything stops and if not delete them. :thumbs:

CliveM
26-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Run 'Disk Cleanup'

bevy121
26-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Thought you were no longer using windows?

Driftwood
26-12-2016, 01:29 PM
Oh, don't wind him up.

B.M.
28-12-2016, 06:49 AM
Thought you were no longer using windows?

Oh Bevy Dear, how nice to hear from you again. :wub

Yes I have swapped to Mint Cinnamon on my two desktops as the prime Operating System for all Internet activity. The Windows Disks have been tidied up and relegated to a secondary Boot option but with no access to the Internet. Hopefully, that will stop Updates stuffing everything up and leaving a trail of Junk Files.

So now Iím onto my Win 10 Laptop and cleaning up the mess Win 10 updates have left there, the idea being to Partition the drive, install Linux as the primary OS and isolate Win 10 from the Internet to avoid further update problems.

So there you are Bevy Dear, I hope that explains the position to your satisfaction. I know how you girls like to know everything. :wub

bevy121
28-12-2016, 10:52 AM
So nice of you to explain - I know how you high school kids like to say things that make them feel important at this time of year when you have very little else to occupy such a tiny brain

wainuitech
28-12-2016, 11:48 AM
In Relation to this thread, the "strange Folders" you asked about, were created before W10 even was available. The oldest being 2011, so how do you explain W10 updates being the cause ?

FYI - The ones displayed are not related to W10 updates, they are related to some program you installed. The oldest being on 19/4/2011 (or was it Mr nobody again) ;)

Lawrence
28-12-2016, 02:04 PM
A clean install makes a big difference,no wonder that Microsoft recommends it

Did a upgrade during the qualifying period but they did not want a clean install after upgrading because they did not want to loose anything,recently their Laptop has been slow to start and run and advised them a clean install was needed after running the usual checks

B.M.
28-12-2016, 03:31 PM
In Relation to this thread, the "strange Folders" you asked about, were created before W10 even was available. The oldest being 2011, so how do you explain W10 updates being the cause ?

FYI - The ones displayed are not related to W10 updates, they are related to some program you installed. The oldest being on 19/4/2011 (or was it Mr nobody again) ;)

Well frankly, I have no idea how they got there, but I sure as hell never put them there with such crazy names.

Maybe they were files from Win 8 which were replaced by new ones on Win 10 and then left as Junk.

Iíve since found others in the Documents Folder too which I have also renamed without any ill effects so far.

However, I think there is a downside to Mint and that is itís boring! I must have had a 100 updates on my desktop machines and none have broken something that was previously working. :crying

But then I guess if I was relying on fixing computers for my beer money, Iíd be rooting for Microsoft too. :D

wainuitech
28-12-2016, 03:56 PM
The folders were put there during an install of some program YOU installed. Now obviously don't expect you to remember what programs you installed on that date, ( you cant remeber what you did the day before) but what ever they were they required those components.

As for the what I (and thousands of others do in the IT industry) do for a job, and what I spend money on, its none of your god damn business.

EVERY business needs repair people. Since you are so fond of comparing cars in many posts. WHY do we have a Auto repair industry. Oh that's right cars need repairs.

But since you wont be using windows 10 (YEAH RIGHT) then you really have no need to complain unless that's all you're capable of doing.

B.M.
28-12-2016, 04:17 PM
A clean install makes a big difference,no wonder that Microsoft recommends it

Did a upgrade during the qualifying period but they did not want a clean install after upgrading because they did not want to loose anything,recently their Laptop has been slow to start and run and advised them a clean install was needed after running the usual checks

You are probably right Lawrence but Iím too Gun-Shy now to go that way.

I can see me getting the whole thing sorted and along comes another update and back we go to square one. Given there is no way to turn the damn things off and another big one is on the way, I understand, Iíll be better off putting up with the reliability of Linux. :D

Shame really, because I was quite happy with my initial installation of Win 10 until the updates started to kill things and the Anniversary update completely stuffed things. :groan:

wainuitech
28-12-2016, 04:29 PM
I can see me getting the whole thing sorted and along comes another update and back we go to square one. Given there is no way to turn the damn things off and another big one is on the way Of course there is. There's been quite a few posts in this forum on how to disable W10 updates. As well as many articles if a person searched on google. Try looking for once and you'll find them.

Several Months ago, I made up a .bat file and put it on a guys laptop. COULDN"T be Simpler to use- All he has to do is double click it and it turns off the updates, and when he wants he can simply double click another to turn them back on.

Was speaking to him on Christmas eve, and he actually mentioned the updates and said his hasn't updated since I showed him how to disable.

Just remember ONE important thing -- When these companies like Microsoft, and others say something cant be done, some smart people will find a way. ;)

B.M.
28-12-2016, 04:44 PM
The folders were put there during an install of some program YOU installed. Now obviously don't expect you to remember what programs you installed on that date, ( you cant remeber what you did the day before) but what ever they were they required those components.

As for the what I (and thousands of others do in the IT industry) do for a job, and what I spend money on, its none of your god damn business.

Hang on, you said in Post #6 I Quote:

Clives spot on

They are temp files / folders created when something has been installed.

The first one --- are installation files for the Visual C++ Redistributable.

The Second one is Microsoft .NET Framework.

By your own admission they are Microsoft Files.

All those that know say just delete them, they are Junk, but you try and blame something else for redundant Microsoft files.

As for worrying about what you spend you money on, trust me, ;) I donít give a toss, but a Banner has flashed before my eyes as I type this: ďKeep our IT people living in the manner they are accustomed, buy MicrosoftĒ. :D

wainuitech
28-12-2016, 04:45 PM
To add to my above post -- BM Would you agree or disagree on the following:

That if you disabled windows updates and then manually tried and it came up with a error along the lines of they couldn't update due to a problem, are they actually disabled or not ?

Then by turning them back on they work. ?

B.M.
28-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Just remember ONE important thing -- When these companies like Microsoft, and others say something cant be done, some smart people will find a way. ;)

Great, so now we rely on Hackers to fix mainstream products. :rolleyes:

dugimodo
28-12-2016, 05:08 PM
All those that know say just delete them, they are Junk, but you try and blame something else for redundant Microsoft files.

Here's the thing, I know you don't like Windows 10 so I just avoid mentioning it in your threads :) We said delete them, we didn't say they were a windows 10 thing.

One attempt to explain but I won't be pursuing it if you are determined to blame Microsoft, no point.

Windows .Net framework and Visual C++ Redistributable files are components in many programs, basically they are tools MS provide to software developers to allow them to quickly and easily create windows applications. They do not get installed as part of windows by default and although they can be installed manually you'd have to have done that on purpose separately from installing windows.

When you see them on your drive like in this case they most likely came as an included part of the installer for another program. It's safe to delete those folders because they are just where the install files were expanded to as part of the installation process of whatever programs they came with. Although they came from MS at least in part they are not the ones who put those folders there. They have been created as part of a software installation for something other than windows. Like I sort of said in my first post, sloppy installers leave stuff behind.

Even Nvidia and AMD are guilty of leaving the entire redundant install folder on your C: drive for no good reason for example when you install their graphics drivers, if you see those folders you can delete them too.
Nvidia even create sub directories for each version you install and keep them all.

wainuitech
28-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Great, so now we rely on Hackers to fix mainstream products. :rolleyes: Who mentioned anything about hackers ?

Ok, so Linux is just as bad, you can disable functions, or change settings that are not in the "best interest" of the user - So does that make it a Hackers OS as well ?

Still waiting for you to answer the questioned asked. #22

mzee
28-12-2016, 06:39 PM
So... what is B.M.'s problem? Just go to Group Policy and turn auto update off. You can still update manually if you so wish. BTY the anniversary update didn't 'stuff things up', it made several improvements, and just needed a bit of pruning afterwards, overall it made an improvement.

B.M.
28-12-2016, 06:46 PM
To add to my above post -- BM Would you agree or disagree on the following:

That if you disabled windows updates and then manually tried and it came up with a error along the lines of they couldn't update due to a problem, are they actually disabled or not ?

Then by turning them back on they work. ?

No problem there, if I disabled Windows Updates, I wouldnít bother looking for them, because I wouldnít expect to find them.

Then by turning them back on they work.

That leaves me in a position of not bothering trying to turn them on, because everything is working, because I havenít installed them, and I therefore have no use for them.

Now thatís simple enough isnít it? :D

B.M.
28-12-2016, 06:59 PM
So... what is B.M.'s problem? Just go to Group Policy and turn auto update off. You can still update manually if you so wish. BTY the anniversary update didn't 'stuff things up', it made several improvements, and just needed a bit of pruning afterwards, overall it made an improvement.

"In Windows 8.1 and before, Microsoft allowed users to turn off auto updates completely. Unfortunately in Windows 10, Microsoft does not offer any option for general consumers to turn off automatic updates." HERE (https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/) and then we move onto Hacking a Mainstream Product to get around the situation. :D

wainuitech
28-12-2016, 07:44 PM
"In Windows 8.1 and before, Microsoft allowed users to turn off auto updates completely. Unfortunately in Windows 10, Microsoft does not offer any option for general consumers to turn off automatic updates." HERE (https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/) and then we move onto Hacking a Mainstream Product to get around the situation. :D A High percentage of "general Users" didn't turn off updates, so sorry but your theory AGAIN is wrong.

ALSO your previous statement saying they cant be turned of ? Then you post a link that tells you how, kind of contradicts each other.

"Hacking" a Computer is totally different to going into settings and changing something. Suggest you learn the meanings of some words before posting false statements.

A hacker is someone who seeks to breach defenses and exploit weaknesses in a computer system or network. At NO time when changing the settings is a person breaching closed / locked security or locked system settings.

FYI-- Some of the Updates are patches to close security holes in a OS, so Hackers cant exploit them. EVERY OS has them as well as the majority of Programs.

So going back to the previous statement about not being able to disable updates, What's Stopping you -- You have linked instructions ???

The .bat file I created is even easier, simply double click it and its disabled.