PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive recommendations.

05-01-2002, 11:11 PM
Just wondering what HDD's you peoples would recommend. 20-40GB.

Ciao
JM

05-01-2002, 11:35 PM
brand wise any of the major makers. just be wary of oem drives as some manafactures will not warranty them.

it all comes down to individual models and how you intend on useing it.

i've had a good with seagates and western digtals while a mate prefers figitsu.

06-01-2002, 11:18 PM
I have a Seagate Barracuda 40Gb 7200rpm on my new machine which i paid $303 for in mid Dec and is now down to $278.

I have had no probs with it, it keeps up with my PC easy.

So i stoked with my choice and i think it is a good price for it.

07-01-2002, 12:05 AM
This vastly depends on your application, and current system. There are new drives emerging offering high speed data access etc. It is a matter of balancing your requirement and current system ie CPU, M/Board, that is not cabable of supporting the drives capabilities.ie Although the drive may have the output, the bottleneck will be with the other components. The thing is a ensuring a good balance. Eg A new HDD with 100UDMA output - motherboard only capable of UDMA 33 or 66 - instant performance degrade

Hope this is of some use

This vastly depends on your application, and current system. There are new drives emerging offering high speed data access etc. It is a matter of balancing your requirement and current system ie CPU, M/Board, that is not cabable of supporting the drives capabilities.ie Although the drive may have the output, the bottleneck will be with the other components. The thing is a ensuring a good balance. Eg A new HDD with 100UDMA output - motherboard only capable of UDMA 33 or 66 - instant performance degrade

Hope this is of some use

Hope this is of some use

07-01-2002, 12:06 AM

Hope this is of some use

07-01-2002, 12:06 AM

Hope this is of some use

07-01-2002, 12:07 AM

Hope this is of some use

07-01-2002, 12:07 AM

Hope this is of some use

07-01-2002, 11:22 AM
not quite P J. the harddrive is almost always a bottle neck.

very few ata hardrives have a 66MB/s or higher sustained speed so there will be very little if any drop in performance when connected to an ata66 motherboard.

i tested a mates new one a few months ago, it only ran at 30MB/s. cheapo drives for ya.(ata100 on a ata100 card)

for those with only ata33 motherboards its easy enough to get an ata100 controller card to go with your new ultra fast hardrive ;-)

in the days of GHZ cpu's you simply can not find fast enough hardrives, hence the popularty of raid0 setups.

08-01-2002, 12:24 AM
Maxtor have done me well, they have real nice silent hard drives, But I think the new fujitsu's are probably best. Get a proper ata100 as tweak says, and the new liquid bearing thingy on the new ones. (fujitsu neways)

cu