PDA

View Full Version : Audio Tapes to MP3

05-01-2002, 07:51 PM
Hi
Is there any way I can possibly upload my audio cassette numbers to my computer hard drive and than turn them into MP3? If so, and if its too technical, please explain in detail.
Thanks

06-01-2002, 12:25 AM
The theory is simple, but it will most likely require some fiddling.

Firstly you will need a semi-decent soundcard that has a line-in socket (not microphone). Then just connect the line-out on a tapeplayer to the line in on the soundcard and play the tape while recording on your computer, then convert the .wav to a .mp3.

You will likely have to toy around with the recording options, so that you can select the correct recording source - most likely 'What you hear' or 'line in' - for your new files.

06-01-2002, 09:02 AM
Many Thanks for the help, Iain. One other question, when I play the tape how is my computer gonna catch and save the songs on its hard drive? Should there be a software to do that? If so, please let me know.
Regards
Hari Bhakt

06-01-2002, 09:33 AM
Hello Hari,

Firtly run a stereo lead from your auxuillary on your stereo, to your line in on your computer.
the two popular programs that will convert tapes to mp3 are musicmatch, or mediajukebox. download either one from www.download.com. Musicmatch is free although you will need to pay if you want it to give faster burning speeds, and mediajukebox has a 30 day trial.You will find it takes a bit of fiddling to get the best result, so it pays to read the help section of these programs, before attempting to record. While some really good results can be achieved, ultimatly, the quality of the mp3, will be determined by the quality of your tapes, and you may need to a music editor to clean the music up a bit. Both musicmatch and mediajukebox, have editors attached.
good luck,
Bob

06-01-2002, 09:49 AM
Many Thanks Bob, Great Info that. Regards.

06-01-2002, 12:10 PM
Hi Hari
I have been useing a Syntrillium Software Co package 'Cooledit2000' <Cooledit.com>. There was a recent post here regarding converting 33rpm records. Do a search. The info was first published in NZ PC World some time ago. If you wish I could email you the article, so long as I don't infringe any copyright!
Perhaps PC World could re-publish the item soon?
Peter.

06-01-2002, 03:17 PM
For that article, use the Search window at top of this page. search for 'from vinyl to digital'. Gets an article by Steve Bass, published on 7 August 2001 in PC World.

08-01-2002, 08:41 AM
Hi again Hari,
For the PC World item I was refering to : Search from the top of this page for 'matt lake'.
The article is dated 1st Aug 1999. 'Create Your Own Music CDs'.
For 'CoolEdit 96' substitute 'CoolEdit 2000'. And it's free!
Have fun.
Peter.

08-01-2002, 12:40 PM
Many Thanks for all your help Peter and Graham. It has been most helpful.