PDA

View Full Version : WLAN MAC Standards

Apteryx
08-12-2016, 12:47 PM
How do I find out which 802.11 standard my modem has; and which is the latest? Can they be updated? I have looked at the modem itself and the gateway with no info.

I received a Spark/Huawei HG659b modem in April with UFB installation and have had absolutely no speed increase.

Moreover, unlike my old one, it continuously times out and/or freezes. No response from server errors etc. I suspected the UFB-shoddy- installation was at fault and as I had line maintenance insurance asked Spark to check it- several times- with totally no response.

I now suspect Spark recycles old modems returned by their many disgruntled customers as mine is very different to a neighbour's with a recent instal. Is there someway to check the age of the modem and at what period the various standards updated?

psycik
08-12-2016, 01:54 PM
How do I find out which 802.11 standard my modem has; and which is the latest? Can they be updated? I have looked at the modem itself and the gateway with no info.

I received a Spark/Huawei HG659b modem in April with UFB installation and have had absolutely no speed increase.

Moreover, unlike my old one, it continuously times out and/or freezes. No response from server errors etc. I suspected the UFB-shoddy- installation was at fault and as I had line maintenance insurance asked Spark to check it- several times- with totally no response.

I now suspect Spark recycles old modems returned by their many disgruntled customers as mine is very different to a neighbour's with a recent instal. Is there someway to check the age of the modem and at what period the various standards updated?

It should have b/g/n

WLAN standards 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n (2.4
GHz)
Wireless transmission
rates
802.11b Up to 11 Mbit/s
802.11g Up to 54 Mbit/s
802.11n Up to 300 Mbit/s

Source: https://www.spark.co.nz/content/dam/kb/private/attachments/35269/35269%20-%20HG659b%20Home%20Gateway%20User%20Guide_9368.pdf

You might have to check your ISP is there's a newer firmware.

I had the HG630b from Spark rather than the 659. And I found the wireless was fixed at a maximum of 30 Mbit/s - YMMV