PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to worry about cooling VRAM modules (note - NOT VRMs) on a GPU

skeptile2
07-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Hi people,

As sort of a practice run I'm going to watercool my Asus 770 DCUII 2GB model. To do this I'm using a Kraken G10 and an H55 closed loop.

I'm testing it out on this older card before I do it to a newer one just in case I **** it up. My question is should I worry about cooling the VRAM modules?

The VRMs already have a heatsink attached to them and they will be cooled sufficiently, but on the card the VRAM chips don't have any heatsinks (or thermal tape attaching them to the Asus heatsink). My case will have just fine airflow, and there will still be a fan on the G10, so the airflow over the chips should be fine but should I put little heatsinks on each of them anyway?

Thanks,
Skeptile

Chilling_Silence
07-12-2016, 12:44 PM
It varies between cards. Some do, some don't. If it doesn't, I wouldn't stress. I replaced my Radeon 7970 fan a while back and it came with some additional heatsinks for that, but again I never bothered with it and it was completely fine, no cooling issues.

skeptile2
07-12-2016, 01:39 PM
OK Cheers.

I think I might put some really small ones one, like half a cm in height. It can't hurt and it'll only cost a couple of dollars.

Thanks Chill

Chilling_Silence
07-12-2016, 06:25 PM
Yeah that's what came with my GPU, really tiny ones :D Dunno how they were supposed to stick to it, but they apparently do.