PDA

View Full Version : W10 updates

eggshell
20-11-2016, 11:09 AM
Last update on this pc was 10 Nov. 16.

Edge has gone off taskbar and we can't find it in Windows ?.

What has caused all this New c r a p on start menu button?.

Thanks,

lurking for eggshell

wainuitech
20-11-2016, 12:22 PM
That New start Menu has been like that since August.

To Get Edge Back, in Search (Next to the Start Button -See Pic) Type in Edge, in the result, right click it, Pin to Taskbar.

Extra Info:

The Edge location in Windows is not where you think it is, its actually in C:\Users\UseYourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Mi crosoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

You can also make a desktop shortcut if you want.

Right click the desktop /New - Shortcut - In the location enter( or copy/paste the following) %windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8 bbwe!MicrosoftEdge Call it Edge (or what ever you want) Then if you want to make it look like Edge, (shortcut) get a Icon ( google it) and change the Icon to what ever you want.

Lurking
20-11-2016, 12:52 PM
That New start Menu has been like that since August.

To Get Edge Back, in Search (Next to the Start Button -See Pic) Type in Edge, in the result, right click it, Pin to Taskbar.

Extra Info:

The Edge location in Windows is not where you think it is, its actually in C:\Users\UseYourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Mi crosoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

You can also make a desktop shortcut if you want.

Right click the desktop /New - Shortcut - In the location enter( or copy/paste the following) %windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8 bbwe!MicrosoftEdge Call it Edge (or what ever you want) Then if you want to make it look like Edge, (shortcut) get a Icon ( google it) and change the Icon to what ever you want.

wai, that's correct, buutt !!! eggshell now has the word "new" under each item on drip down, see pic enlarged.

Edge is history, nowhere and I mean nowhere to be found with the search icon, have tried downloading it for her from MS, it won't download it.

She really enjoyed the speed of the big "e". I had put IE on her machine meantime. FF, Bing and Opera are also in there, so there's no conflict involved.

Have printed this off on a good pc running XP SP3. Dare I start-up the laptop, haven't used it for a day or two, hope it's not WIFI through out that's playing up, we did lose internet last week for over 5 hours, cable comes ashore at North Beach and was probably stretched by the Kaikoura quakes.

Hope this doesn't become BM problem, rofl.

lurking for eggshell

eggshell
20-11-2016, 01:11 PM
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8 bbwe!MicrosoftEdge

Sorry wai the above shortcut brings up "this pc > documents".

tks

lurks.

wainuitech
20-11-2016, 01:33 PM
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8 bbwe!MicrosoftEdge

Sorry wai the above shortcut brings up "this pc > documents".

tks

lurks.I see the problem you have a space where there's not meant to be one. Theres a space after 3d8 and bbew.

using the code you posted it Yes opened Documents It cant have any gaps.

It does work:Quick video creating opening edge (http://www.screencast.com/t/SC8g7vXb) <-Here

wainuitech
20-11-2016, 01:49 PM
OK Whose mucking about with PF1, it went off line.

Anyway, it appears the site for some reason is putting a gap in the posted codes / Address to make the Edge shortcut.

As posted into this forum without the space:

eggshell
20-11-2016, 03:49 PM
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge _8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge

Thanks wai, typed exactly as it shows on that website: space between "explorer.exe and shell" and an underscore between "edge and 8wek".

Still get the same result as previous "This PC Documents".

Not the only thing wrong, as I typed the address into Microsoft Word, a half screen, wtf, all docs come up the same way.

eggshell has been given a 10" note book, which will need to be looked at, it's W7 , so her pcguru friend can do both jobs.

Not too keen on turning my laptop on, if this is the result of updates.

Thanks again wai for your time.

lurks. for eggshell

wainuitech
20-11-2016, 04:39 PM
The desktop Shortcut is only a secondary option. Going to Search /Pin to Taskbar is the default.

As shown in the linked video, that code does work, its copied directly off a notepad file, even tried it with the code posted and removed the gap, still worked. So yep, looks like with whats been described, could be other problems as well.

One thing I learnt really quick, if a upgrade has gone wrong don't muck about to much, wipe the drive ( after saving any data etc) and install from fresh, often quicker than trying to fix it as well. Saves hassles later on.

BTW- the word "New" often does show after a upgrade, its new to that install. Later on when installing anything it will also show the word New

Lurking
25-11-2016, 09:47 AM
wai, all sorted by our pc guru, he also took a lot of MS crap off and fixed up the auto updates, on both pc and laptop.

Did not watch over his shoulder either,lol.

This tech is worth his money and a long time friend, we are on the coast and he shifted way out west after the quakes.

Miss Speedy and his team-viewer help.

lurking.

Ps. thks again for being available and at no charge rate !.

lurks.

wainuitech
25-11-2016, 11:21 AM
Being on hand / Having a computer in front of you is ALWAYS easier to fix, as you can see other things that don't get mentioned.

Just did one yesterday, I knew what the problem and fix was but trying to talk the person through was :waughh: logged in via the New W10 remote control, and fixed it in a few seconds, wasn't worth a hour long trip for a few seconds work. Noticed one other problem while remote connected and fixed that at the same time. :)