PDA

View Full Version : EVGA FTW vs Gigabyte Xtreme - Which 1080?

Chilling_Silence
14-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Hi all,

Presuming there's not going to be a major difference between the two but I note that the Gigabyte Xtreme has a decently higher clock speed than the EVGA FTW (1607 vs 1759).

Gigabyte: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGAGBV11088/
EVGA: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGAEVG6284/

Thoughts on if it's worth spending a few extra bucks on the Gigabyte?

Cheers

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
14-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Aaaaactually turns out those EVGA 1080 FTW's are some of the ones that were catching fire. **** that I'm going the Gigabyte, that makes that decision REAL easy :D

Driftwood
14-11-2016, 10:13 AM
I would be looking hard at reviews on each, before parting with that much.

Chilling_Silence
14-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Yeah, which was how I found it was the EVGA's catching fire.

The general consensus was that the EVGA was the one to go for because EVGA have better customers support, even though it had a slightly slower clock speed, nobody seemed to have any comparison benchmarks / reviews etc

Sale today for Cyber Monday, so thinking the Gigabyte one is probably the way to go.

dugimodo
14-11-2016, 11:49 AM
If you are gaming at 4K or across multiple screens you want every scrap of performance you can get, if not it probably doesn't matter. I have a slight preference for gigabyte myself but both are respected brands.

I'm sticking with my Gigabyte reference design 980 and 1080P/60 hz until either it struggles with a game or better monitors get more affordable. more than 18 months so far without a single game failing to be playable at it's highest settings :)

Chilling_Silence
14-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Yeah well I've been playing on my R9 290X now since Feb 2014, and I'm getting good overall performance across the board at 1080p, but now I have a 144Hz monitor I'm bouncing between 100-110 most of the time in DotA2, getting down to around 90fps during big fights etc, so really hoping this will improve things enough and that I'm not being CPU-bound currently...

dugimodo
14-11-2016, 02:11 PM
I don't play DOTA2 and I only have a 60 hz monitor so maybe I just don't get it, but what is the point of more FPS when you already are getting a minimum of 90? If you turn off the software telling you the framerate can you honestly tell the difference? I struggle to believe that. It's an ancient game now but I still play a lot of WoW and the frame rate varies from the low 40s to 200+ and I never notice it in actual gameplay.

30 fps is smooth but marginal and prone to occasional frame drops and stutter but by the time you reach 60 fps games appear perfectly smooth. I know higher refresh rates can help to reduce things like motion blur in fast paced games but I don't find that particularly noticeable, maybe it's just me.

I do want a higher refresh rate Gsync monitor one of these days, but mainly so I don't have to choose between Vsync for image quality or no Vsync for more FPS etc at the cost of visual quality. Mainly I leave it off but some games look terrible without Vsync.
Gsync and Freesync though seem most useful when you can't maintain a minimum of 60 fps for Vsync to work properly, I don't really care about frame rates in the hundreds. The human eye just does not respond that fast.

wratterus
15-11-2016, 09:39 AM
I personally only get Asus or Gigabyte cards/boards now.

wratterus
15-11-2016, 11:39 AM
I don't really care about frame rates in the hundreds. The human eye just does not respond that fast.

Have you ever used a 144Hz monitor?

Chilling_Silence
15-11-2016, 01:03 PM
So let me tell you a bit of a funny story, coz I'm a muppet and didn't know any better :p

It was a few months back now, I saw the Asus 144hz 1080p monitor on sale for a real good price, and I'd seen 144hz previously and liked how it looked, plus I'd been reading some stuff about certain Pros insisting that 144hz is the "baseline" for all the PC's that they do their tournaments on and whatnot, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Unplug my old 1080p monitor from the HDMI cable and took it off my desk (Left my 4K monitor where it was, plugged in via DisplayPort), then plugged the new 144hz monitor in!
Fired it up, comes up no issues, load up DotA2... aaaand my first reaction was "Ummm this looks exactly the same as before?"
I was sitting around 90fps minimum during big team-fights with lots of action happening, so it's not perfect but still should have been ~50% better... Nup, nothing!
I was mad!

So I did some searching, apparently HDMI isn't the best for that, and I should use DVI. Grabbed a spare DVI cable, plugged it in and put the HDMI to one side, booted up, fired up DotA2... Still looked the same as before.
Got really pissed off for a few days, stopped playing for almost a week I was so annoyed I'd spent like $500 on a monitor that was no different from my old one.

Talking with a friend who came over and he suggested I have another crack at it, so I do a bit more hunting around and it turns out I hadn't changed the monitor refresh rate in the Display Adapter settings, so it was still stuck at 60hz.
FAIL!

As soon as I changed it to 144hz, even the mouse movement on my desktop was "crisper", smoother. Fired up the game, IMMEDIATELY noticed a massive difference!
What a muppet I was, feeling so disappointed in it, turns out it was my own damn fault all along.

I will say though there's a fair bit less of a difference going from 90fps to 120fps... But, that said, that's kinda why I've gone for the GTX1080, so that I can get those higher framerates steadily.

Plus, playing DOOM on the 4K monitor has gone from ~25 -> 30fps to 75 -> 90fps!! (60hz monitor @ 4K)
It looks absolutely incredible now!!

So yeah, a really really nice, and pretty much completely unnecessary upgrade, but whatever :D

dugimodo
15-11-2016, 01:21 PM
No, but frame rates and monitor refresh rates are not exactly the same thing unless you are using some form of Vsync, Gsync, freesync
Maybe if I see it for myself I'll understand but it's difficult to believe that anyone can distinguish between 90fps and whatever frame rate a 1070 will give.

Sure I believe a 144hz monitor will look noticeably better and smoother than a 60 hz one, but at some point you will reach the limits of your own perception and I'm just not convinced the difference is significant at these high frame rates.

Chilling_Silence
15-11-2016, 01:41 PM
Yeah and that's what I'm saying, is I noticed it at 90fps on a 144hz monitor, but I've gone now and got a 1080 to see if there's a difference between the 90fps and 144fps...
I'm going to presume the returns are diminishing, as you say with perception, but doesn't mean it's not worth having a go and trying, and future-proofing myself for a few more years to come.

The R9 290X is ~3 years old now, is still probably a "Top 10" card, so it's served me well :)

dugimodo
15-11-2016, 01:48 PM
On the original question, seems the consensus is Gigabyte.

continuing on with monitor discussions...
So would you say Doom at 90 fps on a 4K/60hz monitor was better than it is on the 144hz 1080 monitor or have you not compared them?

I've been contemplating a monitor upgrade for some time but have been really struggling with which way to go.
There are so many cool options with various pro's and cons:
120-144hz gaming monitors and/or Gsync (I'm staying Nvidia which rules out freesync).
TN for fast response or IPS for nicer contrast & viewing angles
HD, QHD, UHD 16:9, or ultra wide 21:9 at 1080 or 1440 vertical

I've always cheaped out on monitors so I've probably missed out, went from an LG 1080/60 hz TN panel to a similar specced IPS one and wasn't impressed. Actually it was so dark in some games I ended up adjusting it to the point where it basically looks the same as the TN sitting beside it, contrast is great as long as you can still actually see what you're shooting at.

I've deliberately avoided 4K for now reasoning that video hardware and interfaces aren't really there yet and am dubious about how well windows scales to high res.

wratterus
15-11-2016, 04:13 PM
IMO 1440p 144hz is perfect for a gaming monitor. 4k is all well and good but refresh rate is lower, and you need a big $$$$ video card to run decent FPS.

Chilling_Silence
15-11-2016, 09:54 PM
Windows is fine at 4K
DOOM is gorgeous at 4K 60hz, but I still really like 1080p at 144hz and usually go with that...

Driftwood
23-11-2016, 08:49 AM
I'm Just comparing GTX1080 cards atm.
144hz monitor will be next.
Any recommendations?

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2016, 01:16 PM
EVGA had overheating problems. My mate has the Gigabyte G1 and the performance difference between his and my Gigabyte Extreme is negligible, maybe 1-2% at most, so don't go spending a buttload of extra on the Xtreme just for the sake of it.

I got the Xtreme purely because it was all that was in-stock at the time, and I got it for $1,220, down from $1499 (I had $$ for a limited time that I'd end up spending elsewhere so couldn't wait), but my mate got his 1080 G1 for just under the $1K mark!

Definitely the Gigabyte stuff :D

Problem is my CPU (i7-4771 @ 3.5Ghz) is too slow to sustain 144hz on DotA2 now from what I can see, I'm maxing out around the 130fps mark with little going on... Whereas my friend on his with a 6700K (i7 @ 4Ghz) gets well over 200fps
But DOOM, oh man it's amazing... Switching between either 90fps @ 4K (60hz refresh rate for the monitor), or 144hz 1080p... So so good!!

Driftwood
23-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Is this what you mean?

https://www.dtconline.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3452

I've got a i7-6700k on the way

Looking at these atm

https://www.dtconline.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2177

https://www.dtconline.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&path=34_92_111_131&product_id=2892

Any monitor recommendations?

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Yeah the GTX 1080 G1, that's it! :)

That's a lot to throw at a motherboard.
Does it do anything that, say, this one doesn't?
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MBDGBM3525/

Monitor, you've gotta ask yourself if you wanna be gaming at 144hz @ 1080p, or 60hz @ 4K, coz the 1080 will do either happily... Why not both? :D

dugimodo
23-11-2016, 05:16 PM
I tend to agree that gaming motherboards are overpriced and overkill, I'd go in between myself though like this one http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=25421
Mainly because it has an M.2 connection you can use for the OS drive which I'm really a fan of. I love that my C: drive has no cables to worry about and moves with my motherboard.

The only advantage high end boards have for most people is the power circuitry being more stable to allow for extreme overclocking which personally I avoid like the plague. My 6700K has a stable mild overclock to 4.4Ghz at stock voltage settings just because it seemed wrong to run a K at stock and that's as high as it's ever going, I have an Asus Z170M-Plus chosen for the mATX form factor, M.2 interface, and Z170 chipset http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=25026

Driftwood
24-11-2016, 10:32 AM
Good advice guys, thanks for that.
Choosing a motherboard is always the hardest part of an upgrade.
At a guess, I would say there would be around 30 different ones I could use.