PDA

View Full Version : PC Build for Battlefield 1

mikeD52
22-10-2016, 09:28 AM
Hi,

First post here, so please bear with me!

I'm looking at purchasing / building a new PC to run Battlefield 1. I've seen that PBTech are having a sale this weekend and offering a prebuilt special (https://www.pbtech.co.nz/products/WKSPB60000_WKSPB60001?v=g&qr=ec_1021_Labour-day-A_22) with either an NVidia GTX 1060 3GB or RX 470 for $1150. Question is, do I purchase the prebuilt option or look to build my own? Based on the lack description given on the pre-built options, it seems they've put the money in CPU/GPU and are likely to include cheaper brand RAM, SSD, PSU & motherboard. Is it worth pricing and building my own with more expensive / reputable brand components and slightly improved CPU/GPU? I've priced up the below with similar specs and included the RX480 4GB model instead, and i5-6500 CPU along with a larger SSD (labour weekend special).

I'd be interested in some feedback on the build vs the pre-built, or if there are any ways I could cut back on the component price. I.e is it worth including the i5-6500 over the 6400 for an additional $50? Can I include Apacer Ram rather than Kingston or another more expensive brand in my build, or is there benefits to going with more reputable and better reviewed brands? I'd rather keep the motherboard I've selected as it's got the option for a 2nd card in Crossfire if I go with the RX470 or RX480. Building my own means I can likely get a cheap/free version of windows as I'm still a student, so that's more money saved or to spend on other components.

I've also read some reviews and benchmarks on the cheaper 1060 3GB vs the RX470 4GB and it seems they perform similar enough FPS wise for BF1, but the general consensus is that the RX470 performs better on average with the extra 1GB of memory. Anyone have any experience with either these cards or the RX480 4GB?

Build here - http://imgur.com/a/Oi0kg

Thanks!

pctek
22-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Hi,
.... either an NVidia GTX 1060 3GB or RX 470

The 1060 outperforms the 470.
Build it yourself, I would never buy something that didn't specify brand of parts plus it says 1 yr warranty. Bollocks, manufacturer warranty is longer than that.

Stick with Gigabyte or ASUS for the board and GPU and Antec or similar for the PSU.

Chilling_Silence
22-10-2016, 03:28 PM
Not for $50, the 6400 is probably sufficient and the 25% cost increase for ~10% performance is simply not worth it.
Spend that $50 on your PSU or GPU.

Cheap RAM doesn't matter, it'll basically never be the bottleneck for gaming.

Can't say I've compared the two GPU's, but that's where you *want* to spend as much as you can possibly afford, to the point I'd suggest even forgoing the SSD in favor of just a HDD to start you off with, if you could get the 1070 over the 1060. It depends on how much you wanna spend ongoing I suppose though, coz let's be honest the 1060 is still a really solid card and will do it at 1080p just fine (Detail levels / Antialiasing varying naturally).

dugimodo
22-10-2016, 04:39 PM
Well, looking at the official minimum requirements none of those options will cut it https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/tech

Most importantly they list a 6600K as the minimum CPU requirement. Chances are it'll run on a 6500 or 6400, but no guarantees it'll be a fun experience and you would be getting something brand new that is already struggling to do what you want.
PBtech will build to order if you buy the parts from them, and at least at my local branch they don't charge for that. Computerlounge is another great supplier for custom gaming PCs. Choose your own parts and have them build it - best of both worlds and less chance of a warranty issue.

Personally if you are buying it specifically for that game I'd shoot for the recommended specs to avoid dissappointment

RECOMMENDED SPECS

Processor (AMD): AMD FX 8350 Wraith
Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 4790 or equivalent
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ RX 480 4GB
Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForceŽ GTX 1060 3GB
DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
Available Disk Space: 50GB

Mirddes
01-11-2016, 12:26 AM
120GB ssd can be had for as little as $60, definitely don't forego getting an SSD, forego getting a harddrive and be happy with 240GB ssd for ~$90. its just for gaming, right?

since i started deleting as i watch stuff, my 6TB has mostly sat empty.

if you don't have an sdd you'll always load last unless someone has a woodenpc

dugi and chiiling's advice was spot on as always

my advice other than all important ssd (replacing literally the slowest component in a computer)

Get either an 8 or 16GB stick of ram, a single stick will be fine. whatever small gains will be had running in dual channel can be appreciated when you need more ram.