PDA

View Full Version : Last minute advice for clean install of Windows 10 Pro

R.M.
07-10-2016, 05:40 PM
For the last while I have been mumbling to myself about getting on with this. So - as all wise and thoughtful people do, I have been doing some preparatory work today, and plan to start at first light tomorrow...

I plan to do this with an ISO on a Cd (downloaded). Have all of my personal files in places other tha C Drive )2 copies), have my Outlook.pst files sorted. Have again worked out how to get into BIOS and change the boot order.

Any last words of wisdom/advice? I seem to remember some advice about not accepting the default options (and yes, I did a Windows 10 upgrade in time). I can't remember the detail, but it seemed useful and pertinent at the time.

So, as always, TIA of all help and advice. I appreciate it all. :)

wainuitech
07-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Make sure where ever you have the copies of your data, that the drive is not connected. Only have the one drive that holds the OS. Reason being sometimes if you have two drives the boot section ( simple terms) will install on the second drive.
Triple check you have everything, including bookmarks/Favorites, and files you may have downloaded that you want to reinstall. What wouldn't be a bad idea, is make a complete backup image of the current drive to your backup location, that way "if" after all the checking you do forget something at least you can get it back again.

When installing windows -- Since W10 has been on this before--When you install, sometimes it will ask for the product key, other times it wont, in case it does, select I don't have a Product key ( similar wording) You will get an option which version to install, make sure you select the correct one, in this case you say you have Pro, so select Pro. Once the computer goes online it will automatically activate as the motherboard tattoo (unique code) will already be registered with MS.

After its installed, install any drivers from the manufactures site, even if they load by default, often the ones you download will have all the features of the manufactures software, not just the basic.

Make sure you run updates manually until everything is through.

Extra/Optional task: Once you all the drivers and updates in, make an Image of the Drive (without any data or programs) that way in the event you ever decide to reload later its a lot less work to drop back a plain Image than reinstall.

Then after lunch - put back in data /Programs.

Speedy Gonzales
07-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Dont forget to burn the ISO to the dvd or use rufus and use a flash drive. Since an ISO isnt bootable

R.M.
07-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Then after lunch - put back in data /Programs.

The last time I did that, it took me about three days....

Nerdy son suggests that I get the Network Drivers from the manufacturer - so found that and have them in a safe place. Which others should I look for?

I think I have thought about most of that, but didn't think of making a current backup image of the current C Drive. Makes sense though...

Spare me a thought in your busy day tomorrow. Some extra blood pressure medication for me might be in order. :)

R.M.
07-10-2016, 06:38 PM
I have both the ISO on a cd and a USB option. But, I'm showing my ignorance here - what is Rufus?

wainuitech
07-10-2016, 06:40 PM
Rufus is a program that loads (correctly) the ISO image to a USB drive. https://rufus.akeo.ie/ (the ISO should be about 3.5GB - round figures)

Note: not all Motherboards will boot from a USB Drive.

Nerdy son suggests that I get the Network Drivers from the manufacturer - so found that and have them in a safe place. Which others should I look for?
All hardware drivers ( motherboard and Graphic Card if you have one) & printer from manufactures if available for W10. Some of MS drivers may not be the latest even though they are meant to be.

R.M.
07-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Ok - thanks for that. I'll do some looking. Something was said once about belt and braces...

wainuitech
07-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Something was said once about belt and braces...

Hmmmmmmmm :illogical

Yeah - Nah

R.M.
07-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Very sexy...

Lawrence
07-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Doing a clean install you will need to pick the custom option which gives you the option to delete partitions you want to get rid of or merge

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Oh,and another thing make sure you picked the correct architecture (32bit /64bit if comp can run it) when you downloaded the ISO

R.M.
07-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Oh,and another thing make sure you picked the correct architecture (32bit /64bit if comp can run it) when you downloaded the ISO

Did that. I think I am going to delete everything else on C Drive, and re-partition later. Have got two backups of the other partition on C Drive (all my precious pics and Camera Club data for the last two years - but I have two copies in other places).

Again - thanks for your helpful comments. Makes me feel like I'm not wandering into the wilderness totally unsupported!

Lawrence
07-10-2016, 07:20 PM
I back up folders on another drive that is not attached which include downloads(software) which I update prior changeover eg latest antivirus build,browser build(if not using the default ones) and any key/passwords for software
More or less just copy all folders on the old build and save to another hard drive

I just copy/paste into the new build and run or just install when required

R.M.
08-10-2016, 10:52 AM
Right - lunchtime, and Windows 10 has failed to install. I was unable to boot from either the USB or cd rom. Then I tried directly from the Rufus USB and that failed twice.

So - now what? I've run out of ideas :(

CliveM
08-10-2016, 12:01 PM
You have set the Boot order in BIOS correctly?

R.M.
08-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Yes, but it doesn't seem to work, either with cd rom, or the Rufus USB. Everything I have done, we just boot up as normal.

Lawrence
08-10-2016, 12:19 PM
Did you use the Windows Media Creation Tool? and did you burn the ISO to DVD?

R.M.
08-10-2016, 12:22 PM
I used the Windows Media Creation Tool in both cases.

Lawrence
08-10-2016, 12:26 PM
You tried running it by just opening it and running the Windows exe ?(opening the CDRom and running while comp is going)

R.M.
08-10-2016, 12:31 PM
I think so! I've tried so many things I've got to the bewildered state. :)

I'll try that again specifically.

Bryan
08-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Just by chance, check your downloads folder and see if your download may have made it to there. Look for today's date. Probably not there but then again........

R.M.
08-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Last update is Windows ver 1607 on 30 Sept. (KB3194496)

wainuitech
08-10-2016, 12:46 PM
The problem will more than likely be the UEFI Settings. (secure boot)

If the Media will open like Lawrence posted, then the DVD or USB will boot OK.

You have several options:

Depending on the motherboard or name brand PC, there is often a key you can press to access the boot menu (often F12) then select DVD or USB drive, BUT as mentioned early on, not all Motherboards will boot from a USB drive, and some wont boot from USB unless you turn that option on in the BIOS.

You can go into the BIOS and turn off UEFI and activate Legacy boots, but then you'll have problems later.

What I do when doing a fresh install is boot from a CD and using partitioning software, completely wipe ALL partitions. Sometimes you have boot in Legacy first, boot from the CD, wipe the drive, then reboot back into the BIOS and restore defaults.

Note: if you want a free partition software I can provide you with a Pro version that windowsdeal gave away. I can PM you a link ( when I get back from some spending the Mrs wants to do)

THEN boot from your Windows DVD or USB drive, it will boot and carry on as normal. AGAIN though depending on the motherboard you may have to change the boot order or go into the Boot menu if using a USB drive, DVD generally you don't.

R.M.
08-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Ok - I'll have to think about this. My putter is a custom built by Computer Lounge - a few years ago. DEL gets me into BIOS.
I see no sign of UEFI or for that matter Legacy in BIOS.

Now I see on the screen that it installing Windows (but I think I have been here before and it failed). Watch this space...

R.M.
08-10-2016, 01:12 PM
51 per cent and continuing... This is nerve wracking - and I haven't had extra BP meds!

R.M.
08-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Right - Windows 10 is installed, not the way I would have preferred, but I will live with it and fiddle around the edges.

What a waste of nearly 5 hours! Well, I will get on with the rest of the stuff. Thanks for the support, guys.

Speedy Gonzales
08-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Actually the last update was KB3197356. It doesnt come thru Windowsupdate. You have to use IE and get it from the Windows catalog site. It came out 6/10

R.M.
08-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Ok-thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
08-10-2016, 01:52 PM
The update I posted will take it 14393.223. It's meant to fix some prob with Edge (even tho I dont use it), or something

R.M.
08-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Right - I seem to have a major 'Stuff-up'. When I look at C Drive now, I have a 199 GB capacity, with 189 GB used!

Suggestions?

Lawrence
08-10-2016, 04:47 PM
When you installed was your hard partitioned? as you may have put it into another partition

wainuitech
08-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Right - I seem to have a major 'Stuff-up'. When I look at C Drive now, I have a 199 GB capacity, with 189 GB used!

Suggestions? First thought - Its installed beside the original not as fresh.

Open the C drive so it shows all the folder icons and post back a readable screen shot.

Also in search - Type in "disk Management" (without the ""), This is what you'll get:

click it, it will take a few moments to open, again post a screen shot showing all the partitions.

To take a screen shot you can use the Snipping tool - type in Snip in the search to open it.

R.M.
08-10-2016, 05:24 PM

When I look at the C Drive folders, I find that:

Windows Old - Size 53.5 GB, Size on disk 48.6GB
Windows - Size 13.7 GB Size on disk 8.88 GB
Windows10Upgrade - 15.3 MB

And then .... When I went to download my Photoshop CS6, the server has vanished, and the company is no longer there. It was a legitimate purchase on-line from a shop in Oz in 2014.

So - yes, I know - 2 questions, but I'm getting a little p... off!

And of course - your ready help is always appreciated. :)

Lawrence
08-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Did you save the EXE for Cs6 as well as the Key?

You do have options if you don't have backup for Cs6,you have Windows old which you can go back too

Don't know if you can get it for free as it was released 2012 may be someone here has Cs6 and could give you guidance

R.M.
08-10-2016, 06:07 PM
I've got the key, but not the .exe file (more fool me!) for CS6. At the moment, I am very tempted to go back to the backup copy of C Drive before I started all of this.

Lawrence
08-10-2016, 06:15 PM
You can download Cs6 and apply your key and should activate as long as there is not anything else to gain activation

R.M.
08-10-2016, 06:19 PM
I found it, I found it, and it is installing as we speak. That's about the only good that has happened today! Thanks for the prompts - caused me to think, and yes, there it was.

wainuitech
08-10-2016, 06:24 PM
I've got the key, but not the .exe file (more fool me!) for CS6. At the moment, I am very tempted to go back to the backup copy of C Drive before I started all of this. Going by the 1st picture, it looks like you installed a fresh copy beside the original, not a complete fresh install. Looks like you have a second drive plugged in as well, not a good idea when installing. (also mentioned)

That's why I mentioned earlier :nerd: - What I do is wipe the drive completely clean, no worries then :) We know the install media is OK at least.

You can download a fresh copy of CS6, all you need is your key. Looks like these are the install files, CS6 is a touch over 1GB Select your version /program.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cs6-product-downloads.html Click on your product to expand and get links.

Suggestion: Assuming you want to install from Fresh correctly, boot from a CD with partitioning software - wipe ALL partitions, boot from the Media you have and install again. (see offer from previous post)

Lawrence
08-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Once you know the pitfalls you have next weekend to do it all again :)

But all you need is to format the old Partition and merge them,if you think it is above your level someone here may be close to you to do it for you

R.M.
08-10-2016, 07:19 PM
Going by the 1st picture, it looks like you installed a fresh copy beside the original, not a complete fresh install.

It happened... Didn't know what I was doing... And certainly not what I intended!

Looks like you have a second drive plugged in as well, not a good idea when installing. (also mentioned)

That's the other drive 'in the box'. I couldn't easily unhitch it, but I DID unplug all the other drives - don't ask... Photography, you know!

I have found Photoshop - something Lawrence said rang a few bells. :)

At this stage, I have Outlook working, with emails coming and going, Photoshop on and activated, Eset people say they will contact me on the next working day (Monday), 2 out of 3 printers are functional. Mailwash Pro is on and activated, and I have ProShow Producer looking good as well. Soooo - I am much more cheerful than I was a couple of hours ago - when I was ready to throw the whole lot on the tip.

And now, I'm going to have a couple of whiskys and go to bed. Next installment tomorrow. :)

R.M.
08-10-2016, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=Lawrence;1251908]Once you know the pitfalls you have next weekend to do it all again :)/QUOTE]

You are all heart! I have already got rid of the old Windows - they offered me the choice, and yes, I know I have no patience. But I decided, go for gold, I had copies of most things in 'Another place'. It would force me to stick with it.

Thanks to all for your help, and the bad news is, I will be back tomorrow with more complaints. Oh joy and hallelujah :)

R.M.
09-10-2016, 05:11 PM
You've had a quiet day while I have been labouring mightily!

Almost all done & dusted, with only a couple of minor niggles left. I will leave using Macrium until I get the details from Eset (tomorrow I hope).

So - my temper is much better tonight - no major mishaps along the way, once Windows was actually installed. And I don't know why that happened. I read as much as I could and by and large got all the preparation done.

I will need to delve into an Active@Disk to find an .exe file, but will harass you about that perhaps tomorrow. :)

Again, thanks for the hand-holding.