PDA

View Full Version : What are most virus attachment extensions

04-01-2002, 01:13 PM
So far I have INK, PIF, SCR. as in 'readme.doc.pif' , I am sure there are more

04-01-2002, 01:40 PM
well those are usually associated with 'sircam'...however be VERY wary of any attatchement with TWO extensions and run it past a virus checker.... ALSO .....be extremely wary of any extension '.exe'....they are VERY often viruses.....
Bit of advice......if you dont use hotmail or similar with automatic virus check......then run ANY attatchement past yoru virus checker BEFORE you 'double click' the attatchement...

04-01-2002, 01:53 PM
To add to Perry's comments, I wouldn't say that .exe files are very often viruses - BUT they can contain viruses. .exe files are executable files, or programs. These are what are run when you start a program. A few years ago, before worms became popular, most viruses would 'infect' a program file (.exe) and so the virus was executed every time that program was started. This didn't mean that the program was a virus, very often they were normal every day programs, just the virus had added itself to the program so that it ran at the same time.

Still be wary of them if you get one in the email, and always check all attachments with your virus checker before you open them. And if in doubt, don't open it.

04-01-2002, 10:20 PM
I suggest going to www.symantec.com this is the site of norton anti virus and they have a very complete and understandable explanation on viruses etc including ones to watch out for and simple steps to take to protect yourself.
Dont rely on hotmail etc anti virus as many have slipped through their systems before and I say will again. I got several emails from different people at both my hotmail and netscape addresses which had the badtrans virus attached. These also came from both hotmail and xtra email addresses.
Even just opening emails from trusted friends and family doesnt work as most viruses these days seem to launch from their address books and appear to be normal messages from them. Once again this is from experience and the best defense I have found is to have a good virus scanner and to update it regularly...ie often. This is the only thing that has saved my puter many a time.

05-01-2002, 04:59 AM
Argh!! that was it VBS, I woke up this moaning and remembered, stick around I will teach you something, IloveYou.txt.vbs came along as VBS

06-01-2002, 11:36 PM
Why not install a free anti-virus program that will check incoming email. An excellent chice would be AVG from www.grisoft.com