PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding And UFB

Slankydudl
26-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Hi there, I'm having a lot of trouble trying to port forward after getting a fiber connection. My Lan IP is static and set as DMZ, the port is forwarded and all firewalls and anti virus on my pc are disabled.... And yet the port remains closed, or at least filtered and all I can think of now is the ONT supplied for the fiber connecting is interfering. Any ideas would me much appreciated.

wainuitech
26-09-2016, 09:16 PM
What router are you using ?

The ONT generally wont have anything to do with it. If you are trying to use the "spare" ports in the ONT that will be your problems as most of them are actually disabled.

CYaBro
27-09-2016, 12:16 AM
Who's your ISP?
Some use cg-nat so you don't actually have a public IP address so no way to get accesss from the Internet.
You need to buy a static ip.

27-09-2016, 09:37 AM
On some of the ISP supplied routers, they simply cannot forward some ports , even DMZ wont 'forward' those particular ports .
Perhaps due to ISP's custom firmware in some routers
Not an issue for 99% of home users, so those ISP's dont care .

Chilling_Silence
27-09-2016, 02:07 PM
It's not your ONT. ONT doesn't work that way.
As others have mentioned, it's possibly you're on a private IP using CG-NAT (Say, like 2talk do), your router firmware is having issues, or you've not configured it correctly.

If you've DMZ'd it you shouldn't have to port-forward, so post your router make / model, along with who your ISP / Plan is, and we can give you a hand.

Slankydudl
28-09-2016, 01:23 AM
Thanks and sorry in hindsight that was obvious info. Router is a D-Link DIR-880L and i'm with bigpipe on their 200Mbit/s down and 20Mbit/s up plan.

CYaBro
28-09-2016, 08:31 AM
Bigpipe use cgnat so you would need to purchase a static ip from them for $45.

Slankydudl
28-09-2016, 09:34 AM
Thanks, I was hoping to be able to get away without having to spend $45 bucks but oh well. Especially weird is that I asked them about it a while go and they never even bothered to mention it.

wratterus
28-09-2016, 09:37 AM
$45 one off for a Static IP is very cheap from BigPipe. A lot of other providers will charge a lot more, or have an ongoing cost ($5 or $10 a month or something)

CYaBro
28-09-2016, 07:16 PM
$45 one off for a Static IP is very cheap from BigPipe. A lot of other providers will charge a lot more, or have an ongoing cost ($5 or $10 a month or something)

Yea agree, one off $45 is nothing really, when others charge an ongoing monthly fee.

Slankydudl
30-09-2016, 02:50 PM
A few years ago when I was with telecom all you had to do was request a static IP and it was free with most of their plans, but yeah I see that the one time payment is pretty cheap, but i'm moving house in about a month so ill leave it.

Chilling_Silence
30-09-2016, 08:43 PM
You can keep it if you keep the account with Bigpipe when you move house