PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 mail embedded pictures

Tbird650
25-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Hi

I've been battling for some weeks with pictures not showing for the recipient when I send an email from Windows 10 mail. If I embed them in the body of the email, one or two might show only. (Note: "attachments" of pictures does work). I've studied the topic soaking up some hours over the time but not found the solution. Been using the method of picture embedding for years.
This is the "image" I get if I view the sent email..

Tbird650
25-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Have been doing some more study on the problem and trying a few things.

I have 2 accounts under 10-mail so am able to send from 1 to the other. The issue can easily be reproduced. I thought it might have something to do with the size of pictures because I noticed my new Galaxy camera can take pics up to 5MB on occasion. I set up a test by embedding 4 pics. The total MB was about 3.5. The first 2 came through but the 2nd 2 gave the error graphic above. Interesting from what I've seen, it's typical the 1st pic or 2 that gets sent OK, while subsequent ones don't.

I was wondering how it looks for a recipient and I got this response:
Your pics still are not loading correctly but appear as a tag under your email. It opens ok though.

The problem appears to be at my end but as yet I haven't been able to put my finger on the cause. There's lots of chatter on www about the issue. Sometimes embedding is referred to as inserting inline images into the body of email

Off to do some more research.

Tbird650
25-09-2016, 09:19 PM
In an effort to isolate causes, I emailed 3 very small embedded pictures totaling only 79.3KB.
Only 1 showed and the other 2 had the error graphic. This appears to prove it has nothing to do with size. These were tiny, signature pictures.

Interestingly, the error graphic can be selected and copied to clipboard. When I tried to paste it, a red "X" with the word "loading..." appears. No pic ever turns up.

I went to my chrome browser and logged into Outlook.com. It's the same behaviour whether I go to or from 10-mail.

Mr.Google made the suggestion to uninstall/reinstall 10-mail. It sounded very complicated. Maybe as a last option.

I don't seem to be any closer to finding the fault. Anyone??

Tbird650
25-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Short on options I found a good tutorial to uninstall/reinstall using Windows Powershell.
Made absolute no difference

zqwerty
26-09-2016, 10:06 AM
I don't use Win10 mail or even Win10 for that matter but my immediate reaction to this problem is to ask if you have looked for an "Import" picture option rather than copy/pasting the picture into the email page.

Tbird650
26-09-2016, 12:27 PM
I don't use Win10 mail or even Win10 for that matter but my immediate reaction to this problem is to ask if you have looked for an "Import" picture option rather than copy/pasting the picture into the email page.Thanks for the thought. In these cases I have been using the import facility, it's titled Insert with submenu Pictures. Copy/paste adds the pic as an attachment which is working fine.

Note: can receive embedded pictures sent by others perfectly well.

It's as though 10-mail can't lift the images out of my PC with a further twist to the puzzle is why can it embed 1 or 2 OK but not the subsequent ones?

Lots of chatter on answers.microsoft.com about same/similar problem but I haven't been able to find the correct needle in the haystack.

Thanks!

26-09-2016, 12:50 PM
Lots of chatter on answers.microsoft.com about same/similar problem but I haven't been able to find the correct needle in the haystack.

Thanks!

I would just use a better email program instead. Outlook or Thunderbird

or try using the snipping tool to add an image . Not the best but at least it should work.

Tbird650
27-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Almost identical problem if I send to or from Outlook.com.
Snipping tool has the same result.

Also I discovered sendto is missing from the right click menu but is there in the folder where it lives.

Is there some way I can freshen up mail, defaults, associations etc? Else I might have to reset 10.

wainuitech
27-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Is this computer been upgraded from a previous version or fresh install ? Sounds a lot like there are some software corruption some place.

Also what version of W10 ? (winver from search)

There are several commands that can be run to repair /restore any damaged programs.

Tbird650
27-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Is this computer been upgraded from a previous version or fresh install ? Sounds a lot like there are some software corruption some place.

Also what version of W10 ? (winver from search)

There are several commands that can be run to repair /restore any damaged programs.When I did the switch to 10 it was an upgrade but I think it has been reset and fresh installed since.

Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.589)

I have run sfc /scannow and ../restore health at cmd.

Meantime I uninstalled 10 mail. Run ccleaner. Reboot.

I run a mapimail reg file from here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html
This got the sendto menu showing "Mail recipient" however it subsequently errors saying there is no email program.

Moving on I tested Outlook.com via Chrome browser. I sent 4 inline embedded pics to myself using same email address. They successfully showed up.

What I don't like about Outlook.com is I can't have both my email accounts live and open at the same time... or is there a workaround?

wainuitech
27-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Where you mentioned uninstalled 10 Mail, Assuming you are referring to the W10 Mail App, did you reinstall it again from the store ?

Not to sure which version you are actually talking about. The actual Mail App or outlook.com from web mail, two different processes but same location.?

Out of interest how did you remove the mail app ? To do it correctly you have to do it Via Powershell ( which has not been mentioned)

Tbird650
27-09-2016, 09:46 PM
This is rather confusing isn't it?

I uninstalled Windows 10 Built-In Mail App with Powershell with help from http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/
I have not reinstalled it again. (I did an uninstall/reinstall a couple days ago but the original problem remained)

Outlook,
This is in the Chrome browser, I think its called web-based email... Not an installed program(isnt that part of Office?)

At this moment to get sendto to work, I'd have to install a PC based email program?? Is that right?

I'd migrated from WLM to W10-mail a year or so ago. The only issue I've had was cured by turning off fast startup, otherwise the app has been running like a champ.

wainuitech
28-09-2016, 04:16 PM
The only safe way to remove the mail app, is Via powershell. To reinstall it after its been removed, it pays to go to the store and in search type Mail. Its a purple Icon/App Mail and calendar. This downloads the latest clean version.

The way Via Powershell reinstalls from the files on the computer already, so if there's some sort of problem you are reinstalling the problem.

The Picture Shown is the web based version, running directly from Microsofts Servers.

The mail app you normally access from Start / App list or if its pinned to the start menu.

Then of course theres Outlook, which is part of Office 365 or 2016 (current version)

Just to add confusion, there is also Windows Live mail (installed) but now discontinued.

All different versions.

For the Send to you need some sort of program installed. Not to sure if the inbuilt Mail app will do or not as all the computers here that use mail have Outlook 2016 installed.