PDA

View Full Version : Autorun Program when Inserting CD

04-01-2002, 09:27 AM
Can you use the [autorun] script to run a non 'exe' file when loading a CD. I specifically want to run a Powerpoint Viewer show (.pps)but the following autorun.inf does not work:
[autorun]
open=testshow.pps

Autorun.inf was copied to the root dircetory of the CD drive

04-01-2002, 10:52 AM
I think you need exe files. The files that aren't exe usually come with another program autorun.exe which runs the program you specify.

There are programs out there that help you create that autorun file.

I've downloaded the demo Autoplay Studio but I haven't tested it out yet as I haven't compiled my CD yet.

04-01-2002, 04:14 PM
Its been a while but you could probably write a 1 line .bat file that runs your presentation.

Just use notepad:
enter fullpath of presentation ie.
'C:\Program Files\testshow.pps'

then save it, be sure to call blahblah'.bat'

Then designate blahblah.bat for autorun.

Hope this helps

05-01-2002, 12:44 AM
If you know for sure that each person who will be viewing the Powerpoint show has Powerpoint or the Powerpoint viewer installed on there computer, or that they are willing to install the viewer first from the CD you provide, then it is simply a matter of copying your presentation file(s), sub-directories and the PPTviewer and 'autorun.inf' file from your staging directory (described later) to your CD-R. The 'autorun.inf' should contain the following text: (you can use Notepad to make this file)

[autorun]
open=PPVIEW32.EXE show\present.lst
icon=PPVIEW32.EXE

Then make a text file called 'present.lst' (as in lower case .'L' st) that contains:

your_presentation.ppt

All images/photos etc. will have to be included in your show if it is to be viewed on another machine otherwise, if your directory structure is not perfectly recreated on the CD, your links will 'break' and it will be too late to do anything about it! This won't be necessary if you are only going to run it on your owm machine. Also make sure you have embedded the True-Type fonts into the presentation.

Copy all needed files and directories to a 'practice' directory on your hard disk first. Test your presentation from the staging directory before burning the CD.

\practice
autorun.inf
\show
present.lst
any_linked.files
your_presentation.ppt (pps)
\viewer
PPView97.exe

Then burn the *contents* of your staging folder to the CD-R in one session and close the disk.

It's a good idea to practice with a CR-RW re-recordable first.

If it doesn't work give me a yell.

BC

10-01-2002, 11:59 AM
Thanks, I'll give it a go

Nigel