PDA

View Full Version : WIFI range extender

Strommer
11-09-2016, 09:03 PM
Is there a unit that will extend the WIFI range when a house is connected with fibre? I have seen WIFI range extenders that plug into telephone jack points but with fibre copper wire is not used.

Chilling_Silence
11-09-2016, 10:26 PM
WiFi range extenders are less than ideal, in all scenarios. They repeat what's already a half-duplex connection, so it more than halves your throughput...

Yes, they'll work with Fibre, they just plug into the power and are connection agnostic (They don't care what's upstream, they just repeat the WiFi), but you'd be better off getting a better router and / or positioning your one better.

Chilling_Silence
11-09-2016, 10:27 PM
I should ask, what make / model router have you currently got ?

12-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Is there a unit that will extend the WIFI range when a house is connected with fibre? I have seen WIFI range extenders that plug into telephone jack points but with fibre copper wire is not used.

single unit boosters/extenders are usually a complete waste of time.

Powerline wifi kits work very well.
They plug into the power & send internet through the houses power cables to the slave unit at the other end of the house

CYaBro
12-09-2016, 12:45 PM
single unit boosters/extenders are usually a complete waste of time.

Powerline wifi kits work very well.
They plug into the power & send internet through the houses power cables to the slave unit at the other end of the house

Agree, if running a cable directly is not an option then Powerline adapters would be the best option.
Wifi boosters / range extenders never work that well.

wratterus
12-09-2016, 12:56 PM
I fourth that. Basically running a cable is always the best option, if that is not possible, then try powerline adapters, or if you want service to a different building, you want to setup a proper wireless point to point network with some Ubiquiti equipment, failing any of that a range extender is the very last option, they are flawed by design and never perform very well.

Strommer
12-09-2016, 05:10 PM
I should ask, what make / model router have you currently got ?

It is a NF4V, see here: http://www.netcommwireless.com/product/vdsladsl-wifi-gigabit-modem-router

It would be difficult to reposition it somewhere else. It does give good coverage everywhere inside of the house, in the front yard and most of the back yard. The only reason I am enquiring about a range extender is for our guestroom which is at the back of the house, separate from the main house; we will have family staying with us later this year and while the WIFI reaches to the guestroom it is not 100%. In other words, a range extender is not essential but if I could pick one up on eBay for a good price then I may get it.

Thanks everyone for the info regarding a unit that sends WIFI via a home's power lines. I have read about these but did not know they were available. Any idea of the cost? [Edit - Found them on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=powerline+wifi+extender&_sop=15) - around $40 to $50+]

12-09-2016, 08:43 PM
Found them on eBay - around $40 to $50+]

make sure you get a pair (they do come as addon singles) and 1 unit has wifi (some kits dont have wifi, etherent only on the slave end)
also, make sure it has a NZ plug (ha, ebay, as if) , not some US/UK plug with an adapter that makes it too dodgy for good results

The 1st one I saw in that ebay link, does NOT have wifi despite what the listing says

So, in other words, dont buy these from ebay. It MUST have a NZ plug, it will hang out from the wall too far to be reliable with a UK,US adaptor
Try PBTech

wratterus
13-09-2016, 09:11 AM
I've found the TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT to be good.

dugimodo
13-09-2016, 09:53 AM
The best option is always run an Ethernet cable if you can, if not then look into these other solutions. I'm using marginal Wi-Fi myself until I get around to running a cable after powerline adapters failed to work for me.

The trouble I have with powerline adapters is I need to use a multiboard and they don't work well plugged into those. They work best with a dedicated power point and that can be an issue.
Some have a pass through power point on them, might be the best option in many cases.

Also they require the 2 power points to be on the same phase and within a certain distance. I have a pair of Ethernet only TP-Link powerline adapters and they work ok to one bedroom, marginally out to the shed, and are incredibly slow and almost unusable to my main bedroom. I find Wi-Fi actually works better even though it's only on 2 bars. My main point is they aren't always a viable solution.

Chilling_Silence
14-09-2016, 10:13 AM
Use a Powerline adapter in to that guest house and give them their own Wireless AP. Infinitely better solution / speed / reliability than a WiFi repeater :)