PDA

View Full Version : Annual clean out: What to keep, to throw out? Recommendations please...

03-01-2002, 10:44 PM
This should start some discussion...

I am running WinMe with 256 ram, Athlon 1.1 mhz.

In my 'PC Tools' folder I have 40 programs resident there. There are 22 that I have collected over the last year that I would like some feedback on to help me decide what to keep and what to throw out. I am interested in other users experinces of these. I have used them all at some stage with differing amounts of changes made to the system. Programs listed below:
Ashampoo WinOtimizer Suite
Cacheman
Clean Disk 3
Clone Master
jv16 Power Tools
KCPU Cooler
Motherboard Monitor (MBM5)
MIE55 Speed Up
MPower
MTU Speed
NetFast
Power Defrag
Rambooster
RegClean (Microsoft)
RegCleaner (jv16)
Speed Fan
System Mechanic
TweakMaster
Web Optimizer 3000
WinRamTurbo Pro
Win Tweak 2001 Gold
Xteq systems X-setup

All comments appreciated.

'When the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.'

03-01-2002, 11:28 PM
Everything except RegClean (microsoft) and maybe System Mechanic. Then run a cleaner such as Window Washer or Symantecs Cleansweep as most of the programs mentioned will leave a pile of junk behind especially the spyware!

03-01-2002, 11:35 PM
i would keep-

Cacheman, jv16 Power Tools, Motherboard Monitor (MBM5), Power Defrag, RegCleaner (jv16), Xteq systems X-setup, Win Tweak 2001 Gold, System Mechanic

and get rid of-

WinRamTurbo Pro, Rambooster, KCPU Cooler, Ashampoo WinOtimizer Suite.

the rest i'm not to sure of. it all depends on what you like to use. some of them double up but some have one or two neat thinks in them that are very usefull. a lot of these are shareware so check if they are still working first unless you have paid for them already.