PDA

View Full Version : Networking question - any chance of Netcomm client bridge pairing with D-Link AP

BBCmicro
10-09-2016, 03:55 PM
For the last 5 years I've been using a Netcomm wireless bridge NP121 to replace a Cat5 cable across the living room. It's worked really well. But the unit nearest the router has just died

Since the router (D-Link DI-524) has a wireless access point (which was turned off while the bridge was operating) I'm wondering if it can be turned on and paired with the unit at the other end?

Professional-types might say "try it and see" but for me it might be easier to try fixing the power supply inside the faulty unit :( (Both of the AC adapters work fine.) What I want is an opinion on whether pairing is likely to work

wainuitech
10-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Should work, ( famous last words) :p

Have a read of the setup for the D-Link wds-on-d-link-routers-connecting-dlink.html (http://sgoncharenko.blogspot.co.nz/2011/01/wds-on-d-link-routers-connecting-dlink.html) as well as bridging setup for the np121-client-bridge-setup-guide (http://support.netcommwireless.com/sm/videos/np121/np121-client-bridge-setup-guide).

Some places say the D-link needs a firmware upgrade to work, so (cant resist) "try it and see" :p (ducks out the way).

These days I personally don't bother with twin Routers, I use EOP (some with Wireless options some without), saves a heap of problems and works fine, no restrictions on walls, blocking signals, and its portable from room to room if required etc. The other I use is running cables if its an option /requirement.

BBCmicro
10-09-2016, 05:58 PM
The Russian link is very interesting. It shows how a cast-off DI-524 might be used to link a lot of wired devices together and give them wireless access to another router across the room. Don't know about the firmware upgrade but could test that with the html trick perhaps

Using the DI-524 unit at the remote end is a bit different from what I had in mind - but could be the right way to go. Just about everything these days has wifi connectivity so it doesn't make sense to buy a new bridge to support legacy wired devices. (I have 3 of them - a WD TV Live HD media player, used everyday for TuneIn internet radio, a 2010 Sony TV with Ethernet, and an analogue video capture device also with Ethernet. None of them have Wifi.)

I should invest in a modern router and use the old one to convert the legacy devices to wireless. I remember when I bought the Netcomm bridge the scornful comments about my DI-524 router. "You're still using THAT? Everybody's using 'n' these days..." And we've even moved on from 'n'

I wonder what router I should consider? I don't do gaming but might have to consider VPNs depending on how TV develops. Since I'm connected to cable I wouldn't want ADSL. And I'm not competent to roll-your-own with Tomato (or whatever the open source thing is called)