PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Left sound channel

03-01-2002, 09:03 PM
After installing an openGL game and crashing my 900mhz Athlon system when trying to run it, I now find that the left sound channel (on board) has stopped working. I have uninstalled the game, re-installed all the right sound drivers, checked the speakers on another system, run sound diagnostic software and used up my 25 year PC skill base. I even re-installed Windowz ME over the top of itself as a second-to-last resort. If you have any sugestions, I will be all ears....must I really go down the FDISK road.

Kind regards to all.....Dean

03-01-2002, 10:07 PM
After all that.. ergo, the left channel could be kaput hardware-wise, a failed IC perhaps, or even just a socket with bad/broken connection. Pity you got ME, I was going to suggest instal DOS drivers if they exist and test the sound system independently of Windows.

04-01-2002, 02:29 PM
'Sound diagnostics' would override any mixers in the rest of the software? I mistrust cables & connectors, then software. Those 3.5 mm stereo sockets are not very rugged.

I hardly think that a game would take out one channel of a line-out buffer, and they're not really the sort of thing which 'burns out'. But concidences do happen.

05-01-2002, 01:35 PM
Thanx for the reply....it could be an IC...do you know of any software that might isolate such a failure?

05-01-2002, 01:37 PM
Thanx for the reply....well the sockets check out o.k....now i am totally stumped.