PDA

View Full Version : Linux Systems

Pages : [1] 2 3

B.M.
06-09-2016, 06:20 AM
Ok, like many others I am tiring of Microsoft’s intrusion into everything you do and their collection of data, so the question is: “Which is the best Linux system available today”?

Years ago I tried a couple but gave up when I couldn’t get any to work with a Soft Modem but I guess they’ve come a long way since then and Soft Modems are a thing of the past.

Anyway, I think we have some Linux Users on this forum so what’s the consensus of opinion?

:thanks

wainuitech
06-09-2016, 08:18 AM
“Which is the best Linux system available today”?

:thanks That's going to cause debate :D There are so many different Distros that its sometimes impossible to select "which is best". A lot depends on the persons skill level in understanding Linux, and what you want to do with it. Also depends in if you want to go through a whole learning curve again and learn something new, or have something that's very similar to Windows.

Driftwood
06-09-2016, 08:39 AM
I use both windows & linux.
They both have their place.
I find Mint to be the closest to windows.
Currently using version 18.

Chilling_Silence
06-09-2016, 08:58 AM
so the question is: “Which is the best Linux system available today”?

Rookie mistake... That's like asking "Which band makes the best music" :P It's just not gonna end well.

However if you're asking about a distro that would be suited for somebody starting out, perhaps with minimal effort to go to get codecs working etc, then try Linux Mint, which is ubuntu / debian-based.

If you're after Linux for your Cellphone, I would suggest Android.

If you want something that looks similar to Windows, try Zorin OS
If you want something that looks similar to OSX, try Elementary OS.

No but really, Mint is a good place to start :) When prompted to choose between Cinnamon or Mate, choose Cinnamon.

B.M.
06-09-2016, 09:20 AM
That's going to cause debate :D There are so many different Distros that its sometimes impossible to select "which is best". A lot depends on the persons skill level in understanding Linux, and what you want to do with it. Also depends in if you want to go through a whole learning curve again and learn something new, or have something that's very similar to Windows.

Ok, let’s expand a bit here.

My first computer ran DOS 3.1, and with the exception of Win8 and Win8.1 I’ve run every operating system since. I’m typing this on Win10 Laptop which I run under Classic Shell.

So to clarify, I’m not really interested in going back to a Command Line System, unless it’s a “one Off” for something like setting up a Modem, and I’m not interested in Tapes and Charms etc.

Something along the lines of 98se or XP would be fine.

Then there is the matter of programmes like Ccleaner, VLC Media Player, Media Monkey, Open Office etc. Will they run on Linux or is there an equivalent?

Thanks Driftwood, that’s one vote for Mint.

PS: Thanks Chill that's two for Mint.

06-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Simple :dont want/like Win10, then downgrade to Win7 . All the programs you want will run on it, and you wont have to learn a new OS
:-)

annoyed about MS's "collection of data" , then why arnt you worried about every other entities collecting data ?
ISP's, google, email host's(by law they have to) , TV(yes some TV's) , sky , android (your ph) , many websiites, banks, govt depts, ....the list never ends.

The data MS collect is nothing compared to all the above .

06-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Would an option be a Lin Live CD(or usb) , where Linux runs off the CD , so BM can try it out ?
or are the live CD's just too slow for a pleasant experience ?

Driftwood
06-09-2016, 10:10 AM
If you have room on the Hard Drive of your laptop.
Download Mint ISO, write it to a DVD or flash drive.
Then install it as a dual boot system.
Then you can try it & still have Win 10.

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2016, 10:13 AM
Well you may have to find something else to use besides Open office soon. Because there are no volunteers to update it, that maybe the end of it

dugimodo
06-09-2016, 10:24 AM
+1 for mint, also I think it even includes some of the software you mentioned.

Most distros including Mint now have some form of package manager which lets you search for and install software easily. Unfortunately if what you want isn't in there you may have to use the command line to add repositories and download and install software, you can usually find clear instructions from google but it still feels like a giant step backwards to me as primarily a windows user.

I'm very impressed with how good current versions of linux are but still personally don't recommend it as the sole OS for an average user. I consider it more of an enthusiast OS for more advanced users. It does all the basic stuff you want from a computer "out of the box" but can rapidly get frustrating for some tasks. And personally I don't like still using command lines for anything.

B.M.
06-09-2016, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys, I think I’m getting the picture.

However, just to tidy up some loose ends.

@1101, Win10 is running fine under "Classic Shell" so no need to downgrade to Win7.
I am concerned about what the others are up to but at least they don’t stuff your system with prying upgrades.
If Toyota ever choose to continuously swap around the controls on different models and then install tracking devices to check what I’m doing I'll be looking for a different car manufacture too. :)

@Driftwood, 300GB free on Laptop, how much does Mint use?

@ Speedy, does Open Office run on Mint?

@dugimodo, I hear you loud and clear, so it might be a case of try it and see. ;)

Driftwood
06-09-2016, 12:40 PM
300 should be heaps.
Libre Office 5 comes with mint.
Probably could add Open office if you prefer it.

Lawrence
06-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Mint contains Libre Office
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=84652

B.M.
06-09-2016, 01:07 PM
Ahh, that raises a point.

Will Libre and/or Open Office, open doc, docx, xls, and xlsx files and handle Macro’s in the odd spreadsheet?

Might be asking a bit much, but not the end of the world.

Driftwood
06-09-2016, 04:59 PM
Sorry, don't use all that fancy stuff, but I know Libre is compatible with Word & XL.

gary67
06-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Ahh, that raises a point.

Will Libre and/or Open Office, open doc, docx, xls, and xlsx files and handle Macro’s in the odd spreadsheet?

Might be asking a bit much, but not the end of the world.

Yes it will

B.M.
06-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Thought I’d give Open Office 4/Apache a real workout, but as expected the Macro’s in XL caused a problem.

Mind you, it may not be that hard to fix?

Lets call it work in progress. :)

Bryan
06-09-2016, 08:45 PM
I tried a Linux installation and found it "not for me". I also had loaded it as dual boot. What a disaster when I decided to remove it, not at all easy so make sure you check out how to do it before you install Linux as a dual boot. By far much better to have a DVD made from an ISO so you can load it separately to your main O/S. Just be careful is all I can say!

Rod J
07-09-2016, 02:25 AM
I have used Kubuntu Linux as my everyday OS for the last six years or so. I don't use Windows at all. Mint (with Cinnamon) is OK but I prefer the KDE desktop (Kubuntu is Ubuntu with KDE rather than the Unity desktop). I have bought several ex-lease business grade laptops and put Kubuntu or Xubuntu on them for people who are not that into computers and they are quite happy with them. So, I don't believe you need to be a computer whizz to run Linux and do basic stuff. Most people don't have to resort to the Terminal (command line) nowadays. If you're an old DOS head like me the terminal isn't such a problem anyway.

LibreOffice is fine for me but I don't really need macro compatibility. Of course, LibreOffice has it's own macro language but converting MS Office macros to LibreOffice might be fiddly. There are also other Office suites available that are more MS Office compatible (SoftMaker Office (http://www.softmaker.com/en/softmaker-office-linux-textmaker) for example, but the full version is not free). I have Skype (native Linux version). Valve's Steam for games, and Wine (Windows compatibility layer) run a few Windows apps I use extremely well.

Here is a screenshot of my current Kubuntu 14.04 system to give you an idea what it looks like:

B.M.
07-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Ok, at this stage I’m leaning towards having both Windows & Linux installed which would allow me to revert back to Windows in the case of old spreadsheets that use Microsoft Office Macros or other unsupported functions.

This raises a few more questions.

1: Should I make a separate Partition to install Linux in?

2: Does a boot loader come with Linux or does that become a separate issue?

And yes Bryan I know where you’re coming from because the last time I tried Linux and removed it because it wouldn’t run a Soft Modem I too wound up with a hell of a shambles.

What I’ll do this time is Image the drive before the installation of Linux and if it all turns to custard I’ll just drop the image back in. (Well I hope that will work) :D

B.M.
07-09-2016, 09:37 AM
I have used Kubuntu Linux as my everyday OS for the last six years or so. I don't use Windows at all. Mint (with Cinnamon) is OK but I prefer the KDE desktop (Kubuntu is Ubuntu with KDE rather than the Unity desktop). I have bought several ex-lease business grade laptops and put Kubuntu or Xubuntu on them for people who are not that into computers and they are quite happy with them. So, I don't believe you need to be a computer whizz to run Linux and do basic stuff. Most people don't have to resort to the Terminal (command line) nowadays. If you're an old DOS head like me the terminal isn't such a problem anyway.

LibreOffice is fine for me but I don't really need macro compatibility. Of course, LibreOffice has it's own macro language but converting MS Office macros to LibreOffice might be fiddly. There are also other Office suites available that are more MS Office compatible (SoftMaker Office (http://www.softmaker.com/en/softmaker-office-linux-textmaker) for example, but the full version is not free). I have Skype (native Linux version). Valve's Steam for games, and Wine (Windows compatibility layer) run a few Windows apps I use extremely well.

Here is a screenshot of my current Kubuntu 14.04 system to give you an idea what it looks like:

Thanks for that Rod. I’d forgotten all about Skype which raises another question. What’s the position on browsers? Do you have a choice, or are they part of the OS you choose?

Kame
07-09-2016, 09:54 AM
B.M.

I recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon, you will get more help if needed with this one. I however like the look of KDE myself.

I also suggest, just running it from live media to try it out before you commit to installing. Just dont base it on speed but top end systems run smoothly usually. Not sure why you aren't doing it now so you can get a feel of the OS.

I have not ran Windows fully since XP and have ran Linux for around 20 years. I was into terminal/command line methods but over the years, I needed to spend less time configuring. Linux Mint saved me more time by just working straight from the get go.

With dual booting, I usually recommend seperate hard drives, one to hold Windows the other to hold Linux. If you rather resize your hard drive then your minimal size is 30GB and you may need to rely on your Windows partition for your personal storage. Which introduces risks (never experienced it myself, but have to believe it may happen).

The bootloader for Linux will take over all your booting needs, it will replace Windows one and allow you to boot either OS.

I remember the winmodem days, they eventually created a wrapper that allowed you to use windows drivers to run your modem. I just bought an external modem at that time and had better reliability than the internal soft modems anyways and when broadband was mainstream, softmodems were a thing of the past.

However, if you keep at it. You can do away with Windows.

I am not sure what level you are at with MS Excel and VBA macros but translating it for LibreOffice Calc may require some work or may not. It has VBA support and compatibility and its trial and error really to see if it just works or requires fixing.

Just saw the browser question, comes with Firefox but you can choose others. I am using chromium (open source chrome) because of better Flash support and chrome is bloated.

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2016, 10:37 AM
1: Should I make a separate Partition to install Linux in?
Yes and no. It's best if you just shrink your windows partition and leave some "Free space" on the drive that's unallocated.
There's a Linux Live CD (Or bootable USB) that you can use to do this non-destructively, it's "safest" to do it pre-install. GParted Live CD.

2: Does a boot loader come with Linux or does that become a separate issue?
Yep, you always wanna install Windows first (Which you've already got), and then install Linux.
The Linux bootloader will overwrite the Windows one and allow you to boot both Windows and Linux (It'll give you the options, usually with a 30 second timeout).

Also, browsers, I ran Chrome last time I was using Mint, zero issues. Firefox etc all naturally work just fine :)

Kames advice of trying the Live CD is good advice, you don't have to go balls deep right from the get-go if you don't want to.

Finally, don't forget that you can always grab yourself Crossover Office and run full-blown MS Office inside of Linux if you _really_ don't feel like rebooting in to Windows to run your Office.

B.M.
07-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Thanks Kame.

I like your thinking of using two different Hard Drives. :thumbs:

I'll start on a desktop machine so have plenty of room for an additional HDD and avoid any Partition adjustment dramas.

So now I'll go and dig out a HDD just for Linux. :)

B.M.
08-09-2016, 07:33 AM
Thanks Chill. :thumbs:

Update:

I’ve Taken the advice of the majority and downloaded Mint - Ver 18 – Cinnamon – 64bit iso and burnt it to a disk.

Found, formatted and installed 40gig Hard Disk.

So now it is just a matter of installing Mint on the blank HDD.

Is there any tricks or traps I should be aware of before proceeding?

Win7 already exists on C: Drive and Mint will hopefully go on the blank F: drive.

Bryan
08-09-2016, 08:23 AM
Before you jump in the deep end, why not firstly boot your computer from the disk and see if you like it.

wainuitech
08-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Thanks Chill. :thumbs:

Is there any tricks or traps I should be aware of before proceeding?

Win7 already exists on C: Drive and Mint will hopefully go on the blank F: drive. Suggest you disconnect the C drive with W7, as Linux will still see it, and more than likely create a dual boot, which should you decide to remove Linux later will cause problems.

I got a PC here that had Linux on one drive W8.1 on another, was simply a case of changing over the sata cable, ok took a few moments longer but worked, keep in mind none of my workshop PC's have one side on, they are all open.

Chilling_Silence
08-09-2016, 11:29 AM
Only suggestion I'd make is to wipe that disk / delete the partition inside of Windows (Not just formatted, but actually nuke the partition with Windows Disk Management), so that you don't accidentally do it later during Mint install.

If there's "Free space" that's not partitioned / allocated, Mint will notice that and go "Oooooh is this for me?! THANKS!" and it'll leave your Windows stuff alone. Nice and easy :)

If you ever wanna pull the linux HDD out, you'll need to boot from your Windows installation medium, bring up the command line and run:
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

And that'll restore the Windows bootloader and you're back to linux-free (Worst-case scenario here of course)

B.M.
08-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Well running Mint from the CD is far too slow.

So moved onto install, but I can’t see for the life of me how to install on the formatted empty drive whilst still being able to have the choice of Windows on the C drive.

It seems hell bent on placing it on the same disk as Windows, just in a separate Partition.

Must be lunch time.

Rod J
08-09-2016, 02:37 PM
Did you try the "Something else" option in the "Installation Type" dialog? I'm looking through the installation wiki here: http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Linux-Mint to see how it works. It looks similar to most Ubuntu based installs. I have a VirtualBox virtual machine of Mint 17.2 installed some time ago.

Rod J
08-09-2016, 02:39 PM
The devices (hard drives) will normally be seen as /dev/sda (probably your Windows drive) and the other drive you added should be /dev/sdb.

So if you choose /dev/sdb you should be good to go.

Only problem you are going to run into is where to install the boot loader (Grub2). If you choose to install it into /dev/sdb when you reboot the Windows boot loader won't see the Mint install (it is possible to make the Windows boot loader 'see' the Mint install using another software tool I forget the name of just now. Another thing is if the PC you are installing on is newish using UEFI or older using BIOS/MBR?

KarameaDave
08-09-2016, 02:58 PM
Well running Mint from the CD is far too slow.

So moved onto install, but I can’t see for the life of me how to install on the formatted empty drive whilst still being able to have the choice of Windows on the C drive.

It seems hell bent on placing it on the same disk as Windows, just in a separate Partition.

Must be lunch time.

Disconnect the C drive temporarily, install Linux to the desired drive.
At next boot reconnect C drive, but boot to Linux drive by adjusting BIOS
Once in Linux, open the dreaded terminal and type ‘sudo update-grub’
(Without the quotation marks of course) then press enter and type in your password and enter again,
this will detect the Windows installation and add it to the GRUB boot list.
This will mean that you can dual-boot the two, but if you get sick of Linux, you simply disconnect its drive and change BIOS to boot back to C directly.

Driftwood
08-09-2016, 03:48 PM
I always choose the "install alongside windows" option.
Then it will sort itself out with the dual boot.

B.M.
08-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Not winning here.

Get the following message all the time: "No Root File System id Defined".

Don't know how it will turn out but I'll add a photo of the screen.

Rod J
08-09-2016, 05:06 PM
OK, you seem to be wanting to install on the 40Gb /dev/sda drive. Correct?

It would be safer to shut down the system as recommended by KarameaDave and disconnect the other drives just to avoid damaging anything else on the other drives ... also as it does compartmentalise things a bit (not a bad idea). If you do disconnect the other drives (temporarily) you could just choose the easiest option in the Mint install ... see my attachment.

That screenshot is from the install tutorial I mentioned before: http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Linux-Mint

Kame
08-09-2016, 05:32 PM
What are your system specs?

I was thinking you may have quite an updated machine, which is where Cinammon would have been suitable, but if specs are a bit low, maybe Mate or XFCE would have been a better choice. Sometimes, if you want extremely fast then a high end system running these desktops is blazing.

Live CD is going to run slower than if you were running it from Live USB, also, when running Live, RAM is the essential hardware, as it creates a RAM drive to run the OS. This is how they avoid messing with your hard drives and rebooting clears the RAM along with the OS. I normally wait till the OS stops chugging away when running Live, this ensures its done its tasks in the background and is only left with wanting to take your orders.

Remember you are still inside Linux Mint when you are installing so you can perform screenshots of the window you are seeing by pressing Alt+Print Scr to save the screenshot and can hopefully show us where your problem lies. I believe it stores it either to Desktop or Pictures by default.

The only time your Windows drive would be touched is when it installs the bootloader to /dev/sda overwriting Windows bootloader.

Kame
08-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Thanks for that screenshot. Your drives are out of order. There's 3 drives, a 40GB drive, a TB drive and a 500GB drive.

/dev/sda is your 40GB drive, which appears to be the first drive detected in the BIOS or motherboard cable position. Its formatted as NTFS, it needs to be unallocated. Exit installation, go into Menu | Accessories | Disks, click on /dev/sda and then format it as a DOS/MBR drive, its a button in the top left that has that option. Now go back and try installing.

mzee
08-09-2016, 07:28 PM
I have two laptops dual booting Puppy Linux/Windows 8.1 ( the Windows version changes from time to time from 7, 8.1 & 10, all have backup images).
Puppy runs Open Office and several others, plus all the Browsers. Easy to install:-
Download 'Puppy 2015' iso and burn to CD or USB drv. Boot with the CD/USB and have a play.
Use 'partedit' to create a Linux partition.
Select install, you will have the option of 'standard' or 'frugal', choose frugal, and select the Linux partition, this will place the whole of Linux in one folder which will make backups simple.
Install loader, select 'Grub 4', just follow the instructions.
I use Puppy for Browsing and Email, no bother with antivirus, and constant updates. I use Windows for my Web work.
Some of the Linux fonts are not the best, but you can install Windows fonts.

Kame
09-09-2016, 12:34 AM
I'm in front of my system now so I can give a more complete and safe answer. No more replying from my phone.

When you are running the Live CD, go:

Menu | Accessories | Disks or just click Menu and type Disks and press Enter.

This is the partition manager used with Mint. On the left hand side are your Hard Drives, select your 40GB drive and press Ctrl+F or navigate to the left top where there is the Hamburger menu, 3 lines stacked on top of one another, then click Format Disk...

You should select Erase: Don't override existing data (Quick) and Partitioning: Compatible with all systems and devices (MBR / DOS) then click format.

This gives you an absolutely blank drive with a DOS partitioning table. You could use GPT but there are no benefits when your drives are smaller than 2TB.

So now you should be ready to install Mint or are you?

Because your drives are in a weird ordering, it looks like /dev/sdc is your Windows system, partition /dev/sdc1 seems to be where the boot information is for Windows. So the question is, is your BIOS setup to boot from your 3rd hard dive?

I would actually open up the system, switch the drives around so that the 500GB drive is first, the 1TB drive is second and the 40GB drive is last if that is possible. Then I would change the BIOS to boot from the 500GB drive as it seems to be doing. To achieve this, just swap the 40GB cable with the 500GB cable and then make sure the BIOS boots from the 500GB drive.

Now lets see if you can get through the installation, it usually is a lot simpler than this but you went a step too far in formatting to NTFS with the 40GB drive, you should have removed all partitions on it to achieve what you needed.

B.M.
09-09-2016, 07:13 AM
Thanks guys for your patience, character building stuff this installing Linux. :D

Well I’ve followed all your instructions and now have Mint installed on the 40gig Drive. :clap

My not knowing that Mint doesn’t use the NTFS file system was the problem. :blush:

Once I disconnected the other drives and let it reformat and install it was away. I didn’t get a chance to write it down, but it used two types of formatting, one type for the boot sector and one for the rest, neither of which I’d ever heard of.

Now there is just the matter of getting the other drives to play nicely. :rolleyes:

Kane, your summing up of the Drive order is correct and I think I can explain it. The 40gig Mint drive is IDE and the BIOS checks for IDE’s before SATA’s (which the others are) and I don’t think I can do much about that.

As for the computer specs, it’s just run of the mill, Duel Core on Gigabyte Motherboard with 4 gig Ram. Nothing special but I’ll screenshot them if you like.

So, I’ll have some breakfast and see if I can get the rest working.

B.M.
09-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Hold the phone, posting this from Mint/Firefox.

Jeeeez, where did all those Adds come from. :eek:

Anyway, I'm going to try and insert a Screen-shot of the HDD details.

dugimodo
09-09-2016, 10:58 AM
You can use addons for FF on linux, I think adblock+ is available

zqwerty
09-09-2016, 11:36 AM
Just grab all the contents from your Windows Firefox Profile folder and drop them into the Linux Firefox Profile folder, I've done it about 8 times, works well and saves a lot of messing around adding and setting up addons the way you like them, you just have to set up any things you may have changed like proxies on Windows or download folder.

B.M.
09-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Excellent, Adblock Plus to the Rescue, normal transmission restored. :D

Now I just thought I'd have a little play with this before I tried to reintroduce the other two HDD's so what version of Skype do I use?

There isn't any designated for Mint, but there are Two for Ubuntu. I did a Screen Shot of what was offered but the drop down selection didn't show up.

So far I quite like what's working, but the designers really should include a Read Me file with the Download to save all the research.

KarameaDave
09-09-2016, 12:20 PM
This link explains how to access the synaptic package manager
which is the way to install software such as Skype

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1266

Although you should probably update the system before installing anything.

That is the little shield shaped icon near time on bottom right you click it and put in your password
and go from there, I think there are a fair few for it.

dugimodo
09-09-2016, 01:39 PM
For future reference Mint is based on Ubuntu so if you can't find a Mint version the Ubuntu one should be fine. The package manager is definitely the easiest way to add software though.
Think of Mint as Ubuntu where someone else has made some decisions and customisations for you.

We have an old Pentium D machine here at work that is not on our main network, it was changed from XP to Ubuntu when XP support ended and has been rock solid ever since. Nobody much like Unity so we installed KDE on it and now you can choose which GUI you want on boot up. That's one of the great things about Linux, you can have multiple GUI options installed if you want to. It stays running for months on end on that machine no trouble at all.

Rod J
09-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Nobody much like Unity so we installed KDE on it ...
Yes, I agree too about Unity :groan: I was a fan of Ubuntu up until they changed to Unity (2011) but although I tried, I just didn't like Unity at all. That's when I switched to Kubuntu with KDE and I haven't looked back since.

@B.M. glad you've got Mint installed OK. I thought isolating the drives would simplify the process. As Dugimodo said Mint is based on Ubuntu (also Kubuntu and many other distros are) so, basically you can install anything that is for Ubuntu and it should run fine in Mint.

I'm just working out how to install Skype for you now.

Rod J
09-09-2016, 02:19 PM
Skype: Right let's see, I just fired up my Mint VirtualBox machine and it looks like a piece of cake to install. Just start up your "Software Manager" and search for "Skype". Then click the install button. Once installed you just need to set it up with your account details.

Rod J
09-09-2016, 02:40 PM
@B.M: Just reading between the lines of what you posted before I guess you went to this page: https://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-linux/ which is OK, but generally in Linux it's best to install stuff from the repository (similar to how Android and iPhone works). Just use the Software Manager or as KarameaDave suggested Synaptic. The Software Manager is mainly aimed at newbies, but Synaptic gives you more technical info and control when you're ready for that.

B.M.
09-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Yes Rod, now have Skype installed but can't find the USB Webcam which in turn contains the Microphone.

What's the best way to track these?

Driftwood
09-09-2016, 06:12 PM
What happens when you plug it in.

Rod J
09-09-2016, 07:12 PM
OK, not sure about this in Mint ... in Kubuntu it's a little different. Plug the webcam/mic in and start Skype. Right mouse click on the Skype icon in the System Tray and choose Options, Sound Devices. What do you see there? Here in Kubuntu it shows everything as "PulseAudio server (local)". If that is the case you will need to use the audio settings in Mint to sort it out I think. Go into the System Settings, Sound section and see if Skype is in the Applications tab. Not sure what to do from there as I can't replicate exactly what you might see in your 'bare metal' install of Mint.

B.M.
09-09-2016, 07:37 PM
What happens when you plug it in.

Absolutely nothing. No Bings or Bongs and I've tried every USB Port.

Rod J
09-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Mint might not make a sound when something is plugged in (Kubuntu doesn't by default). Is your system making any sound at all?

Driftwood
09-09-2016, 07:44 PM
What happens if you plug in a flash drive.

rumpty
09-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Running LinuxMint 17, Mate desktop here. I have my webcam unplugged normally, so here is what I do to get it appearing in Skype, and to use its mic.

This is what I do B.M. In the Linux menu, go to Sound and video - Sound. You will get a window called Sound Preferences, and in that go to the Input tab. Now plug in the webcam, and immediately in the Choose a Device for Sound Input box, the webcam will appear as another item. Select it with the radio button. If you now speak into the mic on the webcam, the audio level indicator will respond, and the level can be adjusted if need be.

Close the Sound Prefs window. The webcam audio should work in Skype now.

jcr1
10-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Simple :dont want/like Win10, then downgrade to Win7 . All the programs you want will run on it, and you wont have to learn a new OS
:-)

annoyed about MS's "collection of data" , then why arnt you worried about every other entities collecting data ?
ISP's, google, email host's(by law they have to) , TV(yes some TV's) , sky , android (your ph) , many websiites, banks, govt depts, ....the list never ends.

The data MS collect is nothing compared to all the above .

So true, if anything I consider MS to be quite a bit less "evil" :devil (but not entirely so), than the others.

B.M.
10-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Ok guys, another update.

Last night I got a little pop-up advising I had Updates waiting so I figured I’d best install them.

Well, an hour later they were still going and watching them load, most, but not all, seemed to refer to AMD64 which is the CPU.

Anyway, the upshot of all this was I now have the Camera working but not the Microphone.

Unfortunately, firefox keeps loosing the server whilst browsing now.

On this site if I change between pages it sits there with the little spinning wheel and eventually pops up the message “Cant Find Server” - “Try Again”. Unfortunately trying again just repeats the whole sequence.

If it ain’t one thing it’s another. :rolleyes:

Anyway, to answer the outstanding questions:

@ Rod, Yep get "PulseAudio server (local)" & do have sound from other programmes.

@ driftwood, Plugged in random flash drive and all files were visible, even played a little mp4 clip. Good picture and sound.

@ Rod & Rumpty, Found the Sound setup but no matter which setting I chose there was nothing on the red level line no matter how loud I sang. I’ll try and attach a screenshot.

Looks to me like a driver problem for this particular webcam????

Anyway, I’ll struggle on and see what else doesn’t work.

All input very much appreciated. :thumbs:

P.S. When Firefox looses the server I have to reboot the computer not just restart Firefox.

Rod J
10-09-2016, 12:53 PM
Regarding the updates the AMD64 is referring to the architecture of the Mint install. I guess you have a 64bit CPU (Intel or AMD) both are seen as AMD64. Unless you had a huge number of updates (unlikely for a freshly installed recent version of Mint) I'm guessing the internet isn't working 100% especially considering the other Firefox problem. How are you connected to the internet?

Maybe a driver issue with the webcam. Most of the drivers in Linux are included in the Linux kernel but it is possible to install other Linux drivers from hardware manufacturers (if they are kind enough to have some Linux support) if necessary. Maybe do a Google search for Linux Mint and your webcam make/model to see if there are problems/solutions with that particular webcam. So, I guess you tried all those audio inputs and none of them worked with the webcam microphone? Do any of them identify with the webcam you have? In the Applications tab did you see Skype there?

Kame
10-09-2016, 03:24 PM
You have a lot of input choices and again the GUI does no justice for me, they really did dumb it down extremely. All I can assume is you have a tv tuner card with audio input, a front and rear mic input and a line in.

So your cam/mic is the iLuv iCM10, you need to tinker with that mic, probably unmute it.

B.M.
10-09-2016, 05:25 PM
You have a lot of input choices and again the GUI does no justice for me, they really did dumb it down extremely. All I can assume is you have a tv tuner card with audio input, a front and rear mic input and a line in.

So your cam/mic is the iLuv iCM10, you need to tinker with that mic, probably unmute it.

Dead right again Kame. :thumbs:

Yep, the Camera/Mike is an iLuv and there is a Hauppauge TV card sitting in a pci slot not connected to anything.

It works fine with Win 7 using Media Centre, but Media Centre is not supported by Win 10 which is why I want to be able to switch back to Win 7.

Anyway, inbetween other matters I figured not knowing what I’m doing might have screwed things properly so I formatted and reinstalled. Alas I fixed nothing.

So the imediate problems are:

Firefox is as slow as a wet week and sites time out or can’t be found.

To this end I wondered if there might be a WiFi problem so I thought I’d do a Speed Test but nope.
Speed Tests require Flash or Shockwave and it’s not installed even though I saw it mentioned during the installation.

I also saw Skype mentioned during installation but cant find it installed either.

I’ve searched for the Camera and for the Sound, thinking also that the Mic may be muted but damed if I can find where they’re hidden.

The problem is that so many things rely on others where do you start?

Personally, I’d like to check the internet speed to make sure that’s not what is stuffing Firefox, but that it seems requires Flash.

Get that out of the way and move onto Skype are my thoughts.

What’s your thoughts? :)

rumpty
10-09-2016, 08:41 PM
Try testmy.net for your speedtest. Select the server in Sydney - the closest one to us.

Rod J
10-09-2016, 11:19 PM
OK, we need to find out more about your hardware, especially the wifi adapter you're using. You haven't said how you are connecting to the internet, USB adapter possibly? If so, what make/model is it? Or are you connected to the router via ethernet? There are some USB wifi adapters that don't work very well in Linux.

I'm going to assume you have a USB wifi adapter. Oh dear, here comes the dreaded command line! :eek:

Open a terminal prompt (click on the Menu button and type terminal). Click on the link on the right to start the terminal.

Type lsusb on the command line and press enter. Copy and paste the output here in your reply.

Rod J
11-09-2016, 01:06 AM
Also, the output of inxi -Ai might tell us more about your audio and network hardware.

KarameaDave
11-09-2016, 10:19 AM
The iLUV mic is the first entry in your screenshot not the one highlighted in green.

Have found this utility that may help with the camera side of things
https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/v4l2ucp

B.M.
11-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Sorry about the delay getting back guys but I had to transfer the screen shots to a flash drive and reply from my laptop as I couldn't upload more than one screenshot to here without it locking up.

rumpty an Rod first:

7419 Note the typo's :)

Dave, I take a look at that link and be back.

B.M.
11-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Should have confirmed, yes Wireless to Fibre Rod.

B.M.
11-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Whilst trying to sort this machine out I was reading all sorts of stuff on Google and came across the correct way to install Skype.

What the hell give it a go.

Well, epic fail, but here is a screenshot of the outcome for those of you who understand these things.

Just thought there might be a clue there as to the other problems?

Rod J
11-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Actually sudo apt-get install skype is the correct way to install skype from the terminal, so kudos to you for getting that right. :thumbs: It may have failed though because I think your internet connection isn't working correctly. I'm just now having a look see at problems there might be with the Realtek RTL8188CUS USB adapter. The internet speed test you posted before is showing the Upload speed (very impressive BTW), but I think your problem may be the download speed.

Rod J
11-09-2016, 01:43 PM
I was going to suggest, as the terminal output above suggested, try updating/upgrading first. BUT, the terminal output says 415 packages to upgrade??? Something is wrong, there's no way you should be needing that many updates on a newly installed new release of Mint. I just now am upgrading my older Mint install (17.2 Cinnamon) which hasn't been updated in ages and it only needs 39 packages updated.

Which ISO did you download ... not a developer testing version I hope because they get zillions of updates.

Rod J
11-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Could you tell us what Menu: System Settings, Hardware section, System Info. What does that show? Also, in terminal: uname -a

B.M.
11-09-2016, 02:02 PM
Rod there is something seriously amiss as see my post #58 where there were hundreds of update files downloaded, none of which were of any help.

I don't mind starting again, so can you recommend a reliable download site and I'll burn another disk from a different iso and we'll see what happens then.

B.M.
11-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Could you tell us what Menu: System Settings, Hardware section, System Info. What does that show? Also, in terminal: uname -a

B.M.
11-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Could you tell us what Menu: System Settings, Hardware section, System Info. What does that show?[/B]

Kame
11-09-2016, 02:25 PM
We need to sort your network out. Are you able to connect via ethernet? Since, the adapter is unreliable.

You will need to read this RTL8188CUS fix for buggy driver (https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/reserve-7#TOC-Realtek-RTL8188CUS-and-RTL8192CU-chipsets-0bda:8176-and-0bda:8178-). Keep this link handy, if you ever update the kernel you will need to go through these steps again, possibly.

Once you get that sorted and have a stable connection. Then you want to change your mirrors for updates to servers that are lot closer. In Menu type Software Sources type your root password, in the Official Repositories, click the Mirror main link to find your fastest server, use it and do the same for base. Update the computer if you have not done so.

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get -y upgrade

Then just install skype:

sudo apt-get install skype

Rod J
11-09-2016, 02:35 PM
@BM: Well, that looks OK I think. Not sure why there should be so many updates though?

@Kame: I found that page about a possible buggy USB adapter in B.M.'s PC but it's a bit of a pain to fix and then you can't update the kernel or redo the whole process if you do update the kernel? I'd rather go and buy another USB wireless adapter that doesn't have problems.

B.M.
11-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Good work guys.

Changing the wireless adapter is the easiest option by the look of it and I have an elderly Dynalink DYWUK54 in my faithful old XP Machine that works fine.

Maybe swap them a see what happens?

Any thoughts on that?

If it's all go any instructions, or is it just a matter of plugging it in?

Oh, no ethernet connection Kame

Rod J
11-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Yeah, just try swapping the adapters. The system should pick it up immediately just like Windows would. Might work better than the current one, worth trying it anyway.

Rod J
12-09-2016, 01:01 AM
If you still think there may be a problem with the install you could download the ISO again from here: https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=217 Is that where you downloaded it before? I always use torrents to download new ISO's these days as I find it more reliable and it also takes the load off the servers. You should also verify the downloaded ISO before installing it too (link on the download page).

B.M.
12-09-2016, 07:31 AM
You’re up early this morning Rod. :)

Got side tracked yesterday when a couple of mates claiming they were Quality Control Officers
popped in and wanted to check the contents of my Liquor Cabinet. They were very thorough.

Anyway, back to the job at hand.

I’ve got the old Dynalink USB Wireless adapter going and getting the same speedtests up and down as my other computers. My plan is 100/20 but I’ve never got better than 20/20, which has been well covered in another thread.

Last night I updated everything which took about the same time as previously, got the big tick, so I’ll try and add a couple of screenshots of the Speedtest and see what happens.

KarameaDave
12-09-2016, 09:51 AM
Good that you have sorted the network issues.

There are one or two other things that I would do:
1. Open administration/driver manager and enable AMD microcode.
2. Install drivers for any AMD or Nvidia graphics with the same utility.

You could also:

3. Install preload (adaptive read-ahead process) via synaptic or via apt
4. hardinfo is useful for system information and can be installed via synaptic or via apt.

Rod J
12-09-2016, 10:57 AM
You’re up early this morning Rod. :)

Yeah, what can I say, I'm a night person and usually don't go to bed until 1 - 2 a.m. (or later). :D

Great, glad you have it working well now. Wow! I must say that is seriously fast internet you have there. :thumbs:

B.M.
12-09-2016, 11:41 AM
Good that you have sorted the network issues.

There are one or two other things that I would do:
1. Open administration/driver manager and enable AMD microcode.
2. Install drivers for any AMD or Nvidia graphics with the same utility.

You could also:

3. Install preload (adaptive read-ahead process) via synaptic or via apt
4. hardinfo is useful for system information and can be installed via synaptic or via apt.

Thanks Dave.

I'm keeping track of all the suggestions and applying them one at a time in case I have a problem. That way I might have a clue as to what went wrong.

AMD microcode is now activated so we'll see what happens, if anything noticeable.

KarameaDave
12-09-2016, 12:42 PM
I doubt you will notice much difference, but your CPU will.

B.M.
12-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Another Update:

Well the Computer has been rock solid Internet wise since the change to the old Dynalink Adapter. :clap

I installed that v4l2ucp “Errant Camera” update you found Dave but that is purely Camera adjustment like brightness, contrast, gamma etc. No Sound.

Anyway, the Video side of the camera is working fine on Skype but still no sound regardless of which source selection I make.

I tried setting it to iCM10 and restarting the computer but it just returned to Microphone / Microphone 1 Built-in Audio.

I can’t find anywhere where you can Mute or Unmute the Microphone but that looks to be the problem one way or other.

If there’s no further Suggestions I’ll dig out another Webcam and see if we can get lucky again.

In the meantime, is there any way to stop this continuous input of password every time you want to adjust something? :rolleyes:

B.M.
12-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Great, glad you have it working well now. Wow! I must say that is seriously fast internet you have there. :thumbs:

You mean my old home town hasn't got fibre yet? :lol:

The problem is probably in the exchange as I was in the construction team that installed the original equipment when it cut over from manual all those years ago. :D

Driftwood
12-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Yeah that password thing is a pain.

Chilling_Silence
12-09-2016, 04:14 PM
It's intentional that it asks you for the root password. It's not like Windows where UAC does it every time you open a program. If this is happening, it's because you're making a change and you NEED to be an Administrator, and you should be taking caution with what you're doing.

Rod J
12-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Oh, there's fibre here all right but I just don't have access to it myself. :( Maybe one day :cool:

With the webcam issue it's hard to know ... you get used to Googling continuously when setting up new hardware on Linux. The hardware manufacturers understandably fall over themselves to support Windows with drivers and to some extant Apple, but Linux ... not so much. :groan: You just get used to living with the fact that some peripheral hardware will never work as well in Linux as it does in Windows. But, occasionally things actually work better in Linux than in Windows. Example: My old TV card was a right royal pain in WinXP (BSOD's, etc) and I never found an app that made it work all that well. Then when I first tried Ubuntu years ago the TV card worked so much better and more stable in Ubuntu using the TVTime app compared to how it was in WinXP. Some games actually perform better in Linux via Wine than they did in Windows. Some quite good games have Linux native versions. I also have Steam installed here and Half Life 2 and Portal work perfectly. In any case I'm a very casual gamer so gaming was never a big obstacle for me to switch to Linux. So, it's swings and roundabouts to some extent and of course, no viruses, more security and stability (mostly) with Linux.

Some manufacturers do have good Linux support: HP and Brother printers, for example.

The password thing is by design, you do get used to it and know that it's helping keep the system from being compromised. Especially if you're a single user of the PC make the admin password short and easy to type so it's less of a hassle.

B.M.
12-09-2016, 05:17 PM
It's intentional that it asks you for the root password. It's not like Windows where UAC does it every time you open a program. If this is happening, it's because you're making a change and you NEED to be an Administrator, and you should be taking caution with what you're doing.

I’m sure that it has its uses Chill, but it should be able to be turned off.

Imagine if you were driving down the road and wanted to turn and the car brings up a notice:

"You are about to turn Right, please enter your password."

Or you’re driving a digger: "You’re about to crowd the bucket, please enter your password."

It’s a load of Hogwash and it’s my computer and I wish to do what I like with it.

"Oh, you’re about to chuck me in the tide, please enter your password." :D

Driftwood
12-09-2016, 05:59 PM
At least in Windows you can disable the uac.

wainuitech
12-09-2016, 06:14 PM
If you google how, theres several articles onhow to disable Linux asking for a password with everything that required it.

I wont post links as the articles are a couple of years old (mint14) and I don't know enough about Linux.

But what I will share is one comment a user made:

Windows assumes you're an idiot.
Linux demands proof of it.

:lol::lol:

Bit like a wallpaper I have -- I'm tempted to put it on some peoples computers :devil (nothing rude)

fred_fish
12-09-2016, 06:53 PM
Imagine if you were driving down the road and wanted to turn and the car brings up a notice:

"You are about to turn Right, please enter your password."

It's more like "You're driving down the road and try to open the bonnet ..." - "please enter your password" is to be expected!

There is a clear separation between using (with your <user> - with files in /home/<user> ) and administering the system (root user).

B.M.
12-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Windows assumes you're an idiot.
Linux demands proof of it.

:lol::lol:

Bit like a wallpaper I have -- I'm tempted to put it on some peoples computers :devil (nothing rude)

Brilliant! :thumbs:

Send me the Wallpaper, I'll try and get permission to install it.

B.M.
12-09-2016, 07:27 PM
It's more like "You're driving down the road and try to open the bonnet ..." - "please enter your password" is to be expected!

There is a clear separation between using (with your <user> - with files in /home/<user> ) and administering the system (root user).

Well frankly Fred, if you are going to undertake that maneuver it is better for all of us if you aren't told. :D

Why bother to save them? :rolleyes:

wainuitech
12-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Brilliant! :thumbs:

Send me the Wallpaper, I'll try and get permission to install it.

Its not a lot to it but made me smile - Heres a preview

You can get the original from https://abstract.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/1285702/ Just click on the Picture it enlarges to what ever screen size you have, right click and save image/download/what ever option then set as desktop.

KarameaDave
13-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Nice and secure.

jcr1
13-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Ok, like many others I am tiring of Microsoft’s intrusion into everything you do and their collection of data, so the question is: “Which is the best Linux system available today”?

Years ago I tried a couple but gave up when I couldn’t get any to work with a Soft Modem but I guess they’ve come a long way since then and Soft Modems are a thing of the past.

Anyway, I think we have some Linux Users on this forum so what’s the consensus of opinion?

I just found this.

https://www.reactos.org/

I wonder if it's worth a try?

B.M.
13-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Yet another Update.

Well I found another WebCam and whilst it used USB Video it used a Mic In TRS plug for the Mic.

Well that didn’t really work either as if I wound the gain out to 150%, and did a test call to Skype Echo Call Testing service, I can just hear my test message but the Woman that does the test would blow you out of the room.

So I guess there is an internal Microphone problem regardless whether the input is USB ot TRS. :confused:

B.M.
13-09-2016, 10:59 AM
I just found this.

First I've heard of it.

Interesting.

B.M.
13-09-2016, 11:00 AM
I just found this.

First I've heard of it.

Interesting.

KarameaDave
13-09-2016, 12:00 PM
ReactoS has been around for years, still in alpha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

You could also look at other Linux and BSD distributions.

Rod J
13-09-2016, 01:20 PM
@B.M. If your interested in trying other distros I would certainly recommend Kubuntu. KDE is the best, most configurable desktop available in Linux. You can make it look like just about anything. I have mine looking a lot like Windows 7 which I think is the prettiest OS Microsoft have ever made. We have a really friendly and helpful forum too: Kubuntu Forums (https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum.php). That's where I mostly hang out nowadays. Kubuntu can be dowloaded from here: http://www.kubuntu.org/ I'd recommend the LTS (Long Term Support) versions as they are the most stable.

Rod J
13-09-2016, 01:35 PM
I just took a screenshot of my Kubuntu 16.04 Plasma5 desktop just now. I'm experimenting with this new install getting it looking how I want.

Driftwood
13-09-2016, 02:48 PM
I think I'll have a look at that, got a spare system here.
I find Linux excellent for downloading game files.
A lot of them come with unwanted attachments that don't seem to stick to the Linux like they would in Windows.

B.M.
13-09-2016, 02:57 PM
@B.M. If your interested in trying other distros I would certainly recommend Kubuntu. KDE is the best, most configurable desktop available in Linux. You can make it look like just about anything. I have mine looking a lot like Windows 7 which I think is the prettiest OS Microsoft have ever made. We have a really friendly and helpful forum too: Kubuntu Forums (https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum.php). That's where I mostly hang out nowadays. Kubuntu can be dowloaded from here: http://www.kubuntu.org/ I'd recommend the LTS (Long Term Support) versions as they are the most stable.

Sounds like a good idea to me Rod. :thumbs:

The good thing about playing with them on a completely separate drive is you can format and reinstall so easy.

If somebody works out what is going on with Mint then it's easy enough to do a reinstall and see what happens.

I'll burn a Kabuntu disk and get back one way or other.

Hold the phone. :D

Driftwood
13-09-2016, 03:15 PM
Use a flash drive its cheaper.

Kame
13-09-2016, 05:07 PM
I would install pavucontrol (pulseaudio volume control). To try and sort the microphone out.

B.M.
13-09-2016, 07:57 PM
I would install pavucontrol (pulseaudio volume control). To try and sort the microphone out.

Sounds good to me Kame. Is there somewhere special to download it from or is it already there and just needs to be installed?

Rod J
13-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Search for pavucontrol in the package manager (Software Manager or Synaptic). Or in the Terminal this should work: sudo apt install pavucontrol

It may already be installed (it is here in Kubuntu). It is a command line tool, try man pavucontrol to see how to use it.

Rod J
13-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Sorry, my mistake. It wasn't installed here and it's not a command line tool (nice gui interface).

KarameaDave
13-09-2016, 09:40 PM
No need to reinstall, you can change the desktop environment, or even convert from Mint to Kubuntu if you want.
http://www.tecmint.com/install-kde-plasma-5-in-linux/
http://www.howtogeek.com/193129/how-to-install-and-use-another-desktop-environment-on-linux/

The screen-shot shows the Kubuntu option in Mint 18 synaptic.

B.M.
14-09-2016, 09:17 AM

Right again Kame, installed pavucontrol as you suggested and the Microphone is now working perfectly. :thumbs:

Thanks to Rod and Dave too for their help in getting it installed via Synaptic.

I also have a Kabuntu disk to play with. Struth, that took 4 hours to download the 1.6 Gig and I don’t think I can blame Vodafone. :D

So, over that hurdle and next hurdle in sight.

How do we coax Mint to view Flash files? :confused:

Whilst it might be going out of fashion there is still an awful lot of sites using it.

Chilling_Silence
14-09-2016, 09:19 AM
I remember ReactOS, back around the year 2000 when it was "based" off imitating Windows NT4. Fun times...

Rod J
14-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Flash ... yuck! :groan:

I refuse to install Flash because of Adobe's attitude towards Linux (Flash has been stuck at v11 for years because Adobe dropped Linux support and it's a colander for security issues). I've been using HTML5 quite happily in Firefox for a couple of years now. If I strike a site using Flash only I'll either not bother with it or fire up Chrome which has it's own version of Flash to view the site.

Here in Min 17.2 Flash is installed by default I think. Not sure why it would not be installed in your Mint. Go here to test it: https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

B.M.
14-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Well this would take the cake.

Having inquired as to how to get Flash working, a pop-up appeared saying I had updates for Flash.

Pure coincidence? :confused:

Anyway, I installed them and tested on a site that required flash and wouldn’t work previously.

Viola, it works.

But the Internet is running like a dog and here’s my new speedtests.

Tried speedtest on my laptop and the Internet speed is normal.

So the only conclusion I can come to is the Flash Update/Installation has stuffed something.

What now, can the update be rolled back?

B.M.
14-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Well while scratching my head about what exactly Flash has done to the Internet I thought I would have a little play with Libre 5.

First up the Spell Check in the writer doesn’t work. :rolleyes:

Looking up the problem on Google indicated it rarely worked, and the fixes were many and varied, so has anyone here struck, and better still, fixed the problem?

Character building stuff this Linux. :D

Rod J
14-09-2016, 01:42 PM
When you say spell checking isn't working, do you mean not working at all or just the language is wrong? I usually have to install another dictionary to get NZ spelling working right.

Rod J
14-09-2016, 02:15 PM
You can download a New Zealand dictionary/thesaurus from here: http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/english-new-zealand-dictionary-hyphenation-thesaurus

This shows how to install the downloaded dictionary: http://www.libreoffice.org/assets/Uploads/EN_Documents/Installingextensions.pdf

B.M.
14-09-2016, 02:23 PM
Well it’s working now, but I’m not sure how I fixed it.

In the first instance I don’t think there was a Dictionary of any sort loaded in spite of being given the choice.

So I downloaded the NZ one and still nothing.

Anyway, I turned the machine off whilst I did a couple of other chores and when I came back I noticed I now had a Thesaurus. Checked and it worked so tried Spelling and it worked too.

I’m thinking they both loaded when I restarted the Computer but that is purely a guess.

Anyway another hurdle successfully negotiated somehow. :D

PS Posts crossed. Yep that is where I got it from.

Rod J
14-09-2016, 02:23 PM
It seems to be that LibreOffice is installed with the correct language (based on locale I guess) but it doesn't actually install the correct dictionary. Go figure? :confused:

B.M.
14-09-2016, 02:58 PM
It seems to be that LibreOffice is installed with the correct language (based on locale I guess) but it doesn't actually install the correct dictionary. Go figure? :confused:

Here was me thinking they couldn't be that silly. :groan:

B.M.
14-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Ahmmm, has Linux been taken over by Microsoft?

Just got some more updates and my Internet speed has fixed itself. :rolleyes:

Honestly, this business of putting out endless Updates to fix the previous ones is absolute bloody nonsense. :mad:

B.M.
15-09-2016, 08:55 AM
Well everything is running fine so far this morning so I thought I might install a couple of other programmes.

What I am interested in for a start is an equivalent programme to Speccy which tells you all about the computer including software keys and an equivalent to Ccleaner to clean up all the junk files.

There seems to be no shortage of both on Google so I thought I’d check with our resident experts to see if there are any favourites.

Chilling_Silence
15-09-2016, 10:51 AM
For specs I've always just done it from the command line:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

But something like GKrellM is probably what you're after, so if you apt-get install gkrellm or search for gkrellm from your distro's app store it'll do you well.
Screenshot here:
http://gkrellm.srcbox.net/

It's nice coz you can have it hover too, quite customizable, one of my favorite things about having a Linux Distro is gkrellm! :D

KarameaDave
15-09-2016, 11:36 AM
This article shows the three main hardware information utilities
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/07/how-to-get-hardware-information-in.html

As far as I know they don't list software keys.
to manage these you open start menu/preferences then select keyboard then choose shortcuts tab.

Instructions in this article on cleaning Mint safely.
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/4

hope this helps

Rod J
15-09-2016, 12:01 PM
It's nice coz you can have it hover too, quite customizable, one of my favorite things about having a Linux Distro is gkrellm! :D

I absolutely agree with you about GKrellM. If you look at my previous screenshots of Kubuntu in this thread you can see that I have GKrellM running in the lower left corner of the screen. It's getting on in age now but it still does the job and looks nice with many themes available. Conky is a similar type of app, still being actively developed. It's more tricky to set up than GKrellM though.

However, I think B.M. is meaning something different than GKrellM. The command line app called inxi gives comprehensive details of the hardware (try man inxi to get some more info on its use). Here in Kubuntu there is a gui app called KInfocenter which I think is more what B.M. was wanting. I'll fire up my Mint VirtualBox machine to see what is available in Mint.

As for something like CCleaner, I used to use an app in Ubuntu which I can't remember the name of just now, I'll get back to you about that one. But, honestly you don't need to do much cleaning out of junk in Linux as it doesn't accumulate rubbish so much as Windows does.

Rod J
15-09-2016, 12:14 PM
BleachBit was the app I was thinking of ... it's mentioned on the second page that Dave linked to. And it says that you shouldn't use it (I agree, it can be too aggressive and cause more harm than good. I haven't used it since my earliest days of using Ubuntu when I too thought such things were necessary in Linux ... they aren't).

B.M.
16-09-2016, 09:42 AM
Sorry to be so long getting back but I got another 3 updates early yesterday afternoon and promptly lost connection to the Internet. :rolleyes:

Can’t work it out. The network showed up OK and worked fine on my Win 10 Laptop but couldn’t connect on the Mint machine. Restarting produced a message that my update repository couldn’t be found but that was the only clue.

I tried connecting from the disk but that didn’t work either and I got the impression that the WiFi password was not being accepted. Yes I re-entered it numerous times but no luck.

However, this morning I turn the machine on and away it goes as good as gold. Beats me.

Anyway back to the job at hand.

Well, I’ve tried all the suggestions but none are quite what I was after. As far as information goes I was looking for a Speccy or Balarc Advisor equivalent, but can’t seem to find one.

Before you posted Rod I found and downloaded BleachBit but when I looked at what it might do I became gun-shy and never ran it. To me it looks like it’s for Very Advanced Users. I’ll follow the advice in the Link you posted Dave. ;)

Driftwood
16-09-2016, 10:16 AM
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but something that may be of interest.
With earlier versions of windows dual booted with linux it was possible to access windows from linux.
Not so with windows 10.

Rod J
16-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Well, yesterday I installed Hardinfo (System Profiler and Benchmark) from the repository here in Kubuntu and I must say it is more comprehensive than the default installed KInfoCenter. It strikes me as being close to what Speccy or Belarc Advisor would give you. Just what info are you trying to find out B.M.?

I don't know why you are having so many issues with the internet connection. As far as the updates are concerned I wonder if you are using the fastest repository? Try this: Start up Software Manager, Click on Edit, Software Sources, Official Repositories. What is selected there? It should be one of the NZ repositories (see my attachment).

Rod J
16-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Blast, I should have made the screenshot just of the open dialog. The forum keeps making the attachment or inline image too small. :(

The repository my Mint is set to is here: http://ucmirror.canterbury.ac.nz/linux/mint/packages If you click on the first two entries the system will automatically try to find the fastest repository server.

B.M.
17-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Got a bit tied up yesterday but back on the case today.

Yes Rod I downloaded Hardinfo (System Profiler and Benchmark) and whilst it seems to be the best there is, it’s still a fair way behind Speccy and Belarc Advisor.

Never mind, not the end of the world or a game-breaker.

As for the Wi-Fi crashes, I wondered if these USB Wi-Fi dongles might be the problem so I’ve dug out a PCI Wi-Fi Card and installed that. So far all good, but no updates either.

Getting back to the updates, here is the screen-shot you asked for.

Also, I can report that Libre opened a XLS spreadsheet with Macros no problem, once I had turned Macros on. :blush:

Now I’m looking for a Music Player like Media Monkey. Something that can sort by track name, artist, genre etc and play at random (shuffle).

Any suggestions anyone?

And finally I must say I’m very pleased with Linux so far, now that some of the Teething Problems are sorted.

dugimodo
17-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Check the menu, most linux packages come with several media players and you may already have one that does what you want.
Otherwise I think VLC is available and basically the same as the windows version http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

Rod J
17-09-2016, 01:50 PM
The repository my Mint is set to is here: http://ucmirror.canterbury.ac.nz/linux/mint/packages If you click on the first two entries the system will automatically try to find the fastest repository server.

I think you missed the part in bold. Your Mint is not getting its updates from the fastest update server (could be the main reason for the slow updates). If you click on the current update server in that dialog box you will find that it automatically looks for the fastest server and sets it to that.

My favourite music player in Linux is Clementine. You should be able to find it in the repository. It's easy to set up and as long as your music has imbedded mp3 tags it will categorize your music as you want.

B.M.
17-09-2016, 03:17 PM
Ok found Banshee and VLC already installed.

Banshee is much like Media Monkey but leaves quite big gaps between songs, and VLC seems little, if any, different to the Windows Version which is good.

I can live with Banshee, but if there is something better, beauty.

In the meantime, I’ve a couple of .swf Movie files of holidays which neither of the above play, but, different sites on Google recommended downloading “gnash” as a standalone player.

“Synaptic Package Manager” found the player and installed it but I’m dammed if I can find it.

Anybody point me in the right direction?

If I just double click on the file a media player of some sort opens but I get the following message.

Got you now Rod. :thumbs:

Off to check out Clementine. :)

Rod J
17-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Try the following which I grabbed from this webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-cinnamon-first

"Install full multimedia support

1.3.2. You've probably installed full multimedia support during the installation of Linux Mint, by ticking the checkbox for Install third-party software for graphics and Wi-Fi hardware, Flash, MP3 and other media. But if you didn't, you can do it now:

Menu button - Sound & Video - Install Multimedia Codecs

Note: this menu entry is only present when you haven't installed full multimedia support (mint-meta-codecs) yet. After installing it, this menu entry will disappear."

B.M.
17-09-2016, 04:33 PM
Looks like I did tick them on installation.

Rod J
17-09-2016, 04:55 PM
I installed gnash in Mint 17.2 here. Don't know why it doesn't appear in the menu, must be some quirk/bug or other. Maybe restarting system may work. Anyway, you can get it to run from the Terminal this way: gnash-gtk-launcher

BTW, one of the nice things about the terminal is that if you're not sure of a commands exact name, just type part of the name and press the Tab key twice ... it will magically suggest several commands starting with what you typed in. It's quite a handy feature and saves some typing and time.

B.M.
17-09-2016, 05:36 PM
Thanks Rod, Clementine will do me. :D

I was a bit worried when she hit off with the “’Stones” and 19th Nervous Breakdown but got Buddy Holly “Thinking it Over” now.

Struth, wonder if she can count, she has put in an invoice for 1083 tracks over 2 days, 9 hours, 25 minutes and 30 seconds playing. :eek:

Think I’ll pour myself another Gin and deal with .swf files tomorrow.

And thanks again to all those who have helped in this thread. :thumbs:

B.M.
18-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Got the Splash Screen for gnash launching it from the Terminal as you suggested Rod, but also got a lot of errors that mean nothing to me. :waughh:

Rod J
18-09-2016, 04:37 PM
I'm guessing that the gui started up OK and then you tried to load the .swf file you wanted to look at (which then produced more errors apparently).

I'm drawing a blank with this one ... maybe someone else has a solution?

KarameaDave
18-09-2016, 04:57 PM
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

will install the flash plug-in for Firefox
Chrome has it's own built-in.

B.M.
18-09-2016, 05:36 PM
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

will install the flash plug-in for Firefox
Chrome has it's own built-in.

Looks like it needs more detail Dave???

KarameaDave
18-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Sorry that should be:

sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin

This installs the flash browser plug-in
it does not allow media players to play .swf files though.

but Firefox should play them if you open them with it.

B.M.
19-09-2016, 06:25 AM
Hmmmm, seems it's already installed? :confused:

B.M.
19-09-2016, 06:55 AM
Don’t know if this will work or not, but I have an old, but neat little Windows programme, (see HERE (http://www.eolsoft.com/freeware/flash_movie_player/)) written just for swf files and I’m wondering if it would run with “Wine”?

It was written for Win95 and still works on Win10. :clap

Any thoughts?

KarameaDave
19-09-2016, 09:02 AM
So, did you try opening the file with Firefox?

B.M.
19-09-2016, 10:38 AM
So, did you try opening the file with Firefox?

Well double clicking the file just produces the errors already reported and opening Firefox first the cursor just turns to a fist when hovered over open file. Clicking or double clicking Open File does nothing.

Must be doing something wrong.

B.M.
19-09-2016, 10:46 AM
Ahh, found, I was probably in wrong place. :blush:

Had a Menu Bar missing.

However, trying to open from the new menu bar produces exactly the same message as double clicking the file. :badpc:

KarameaDave
19-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Try right clicking on the .swf/click on properties/ click on open with tab/ scroll down to Firefox/ select it so it highlights in green/ click on Set as default/ then click close.

Once all that is done, you should only need to double click your .swf and it should play in Firefox.

B.M.
19-09-2016, 12:32 PM
Try right clicking on the .swf/click on properties/ click on open with tab/ scroll down to Firefox/ select it so it highlights in green/ click on Set as default/ then click close.

Once all that is done, you should only need to double click your .swf and it should play in Firefox.

Nooop, just wind up with a black screen.

Can you post a link to a swf that you can open please Dave and we'll see what happens then.

Rod J
19-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if the "Hervey Bay.swf" file is damaged in some way. Did you try opening it from vlc media player?

If you want to know if some Windows apps will work in Linux via Wine, you can look them up here: http://appdb.winehq.org/

I couldn't find an entry for that "Flash Movie Player" in the database but it might work. Though I think you'd be better off using a Linux native player if possible.

B.M.
19-09-2016, 01:11 PM
I don't know about it being damaged because it plays fine on the Windows machines, XP - Win7 and Win10.

How do you associate and install Flash Movie Player? This is all foreign to me.

It's a .exe file.

B.M.
19-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Sorry Rod, yes tried VLC but no luck there either. Vlc just sits on opening screen.

Rod J
19-09-2016, 01:58 PM
OK, I guess it's time to install Wine (Windows compatibility layer). Start up Software Manager or Synaptic and search for "wine" and install it.

Then you should just double click on the flash_movie_player.exe in your Downloads folder and it should then proceed to install just like it would in Windows. :)

19-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Sorry Rod, yes tried VLC but no luck there either. Vlc just sits on opening screen.

try here
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

pick linux in the drop down box

or
http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html

Use with caution , flash has a looooong history of security issues & never ending patches .Sort of defeats the whole point of Linux ?
:)

or even better, see if you can open the swf in Chrome

bevy121
19-09-2016, 02:41 PM
convert it to html5...
less and less use for horrible flash player anyway as HTML5 becomes default more and more

B.M.
19-09-2016, 02:53 PM
OK, I guess it's time to install Wine (Windows compatibility layer). Start up Software Manager or Synaptic and search for "wine" and install it.

Then you should just double click on the flash_movie_player.exe in your Downloads folder and it should then proceed to install just like it would in Windows. :)

Right, got all that done and Flash Movie Player seemed to install itself OK but it cant find the Shockwave Plug-in.

Fine, so we try and install it, but get advised that the latest version is already installed.

Around we go in circles. :waughh:

Rod J
19-09-2016, 03:32 PM
Yes, but as you're running a Windows app now it's looking for the Windows version of Flash which it can't find. Honestly, it would make more sense to abandon Flash which is on the way out (especially in Linux) and convert the .swf file(s) to something more universal like .mp4.

But, maybe this will work as it appears that the problem is really that the .swf file isn't recognised properly as a video file. I got this solution here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/478169/why-cant-firefox-run-local-swf-files

The second answer on that page is simpler and doesn't involve root access:

"Another option is to create ~/.mime.types in the home directory with following content:

application/x-shockwave-flash swf swfl

This way it will not get overwritten on system upgrade."

Basically, it translates to: Create a text file in your home folder (/home/bob) named ".mime.types" (note the leading "." which means it's a hidden file in Linux. The contents of the file is the one line (copy and paste):
application/x-shockwave-flash swf swfl

Just use the standard text editor "Gedit".

Maybe, just maybe, the file will then open in Firefox. :)

B.M.
19-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Thanks Rod.

Yes we may well have two different situations which is why I would like to check on a Internet .swf file that others following this thread can open.

If I can open an Internet .swf file then we have pretty much established that the problem is as described in your post.

However, I draw some comfort from the fact that people who have forgotten more than I'll ever know about Linux have struggled with the same scenario. :D

Rod J
19-09-2016, 08:28 PM
It's a pretty tough nut to crack this .swf problem. I thought they would be like .flv (Flash Video) files which I can play just fine here but apparently they are not so similar. I've never come across .swf before at all ... all new to me I'm afraid! :confused:

Anyway, I just found a package in the repository called swftools which might be promising for working with .swf files. Will check it out later tonight.

BTW, I found a couple of .swf files online to play around with, contained in a couple of zip files ...

http://www.the-sz.com/products/flash/FlashDemo.zip

http://www.the-sz.com/products/flash/FlashSample.zip

Rod J
19-09-2016, 11:42 PM
Well, I've played around quite a bit with extracting bits and pieces from those two .swf files in the .zip files using swfextract and swfdump from the swftools package and I'm afraid I'm none the wiser. None of the extracted files will play on any media player I have. :(

Rod J
20-09-2016, 01:08 AM
Perseverance finally pays off! :clap After some more playing around I finally succeeded in getting those two .swf files to play in Firefox.

After extracting the two files (Demo.swf and Sample.swf) I used swfcombine from the swftools package to decompress the .swf files to an uncompressed format and in Firefox opened the new files and they both played!

These are the terminal commands I used to decompress the .swf files to produce the two new uncompressed files:

swfcombine -d Sample.swf -o Sample_new.swf
swfcombine -d Demo.swf -o Demo_new.swf

Then, in Firefox, just use Alt-F to bring up the File menu and open the new .swf files and they play nicely! :banana

Rod J
20-09-2016, 01:24 AM
OK, I just tried the original, compressed .swf files from the two zip files above and they also played fine in Firefox. So, decompressing wasn't necessary. But, compressed or decompressed I still can't get them to play in any media player I have. Firefox seems to be the way to go. I guess it must be that the Flash plugin is only available within Firefox?

B.M.
20-09-2016, 09:31 AM
By Jove you’re up late again Rod. :D

I’ll work through your posts during the day and report back.

In the meantime it has occurred to me that FLV and SWF files are by no means the same thing.

They are a bit like a Panther and a Leopard, both members of the Cat Family but totally different animals.

There is a good explanation HERE (http://classroom.synonym.com/difference-between-swf-flv-17480.html).

With this in mind it may be possible to get FLV files to operate in Linux but not SWF.

Turning out quite a challenge this one.

I’ve made swf videos for years, mostly with photos taken on holiday, because you can fade pictures in and out with transitions and sound and they’re very economical on space.

Anyway got a few other things to do back later.

Kame
21-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Hey B.M.

This thread seems so long and windy it's a bit hard for me to suggest things on my mobile phone.

Years ago I got shockwave working in Linux. It was more an accomplishment than a reason to get shockwave. It worked fine but at that time it had some weird behaviours, like it glitched the browser. I would not suggest doing this. I would just rely on Firefox's own ability to play shockwave and if it does not, then I would not attempt to get shockwave going.

Maybe try other browsers like Chrome/Chromium to see if they have better support. They have flash built-in but am uncertain what they would be like to use with shockwave.

If you definitely require shockwave, then the Windows version of Firefox ran through WINE should work for you.

fred_fish
21-09-2016, 12:25 PM
vlc plays swf by default, no?
well, mine does...

B.M.
21-09-2016, 02:18 PM
vlc plays swf by default, no?
well, mine does...

What version Fred because VLC doesn't play swf files on my windows computer of Linux?

What's the trick? :D

B.M.
21-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Hey B.M.

This thread seems so long and windy it's a bit hard for me to suggest things on my mobile phone.

Years ago I got shockwave working in Linux. It was more an accomplishment than a reason to get shockwave. It worked fine but at that time it had some weird behaviours, like it glitched the browser. I would not suggest doing this. I would just rely on Firefox's own ability to play shockwave and if it does not, then I would not attempt to get shockwave going.

Maybe try other browsers like Chrome/Chromium to see if they have better support. They have flash built-in but am uncertain what they would be like to use with shockwave.

If you definitely require shockwave, then the Windows version of Firefox ran through WINE should work for you.

Thanks Kame I'll try Windows, Firefox and Wine. :)

KarameaDave
21-09-2016, 03:47 PM
VLC doesn't play them on my Mint 17.3 or Mint 18

Or Firefox it turns out.

But I can play them OK with Gnash
All 3 at once.:punk

B.M.
21-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Right, I downloaded those sample files you linked to Rod, and Firefox (set as default) wouldn’t open them, but if I changed to gnash-gdk-launcher they opened fine. Problem is my original files still won’t open.

Now, a couple of things have crossed my mind.

1: Did either of the sample files have sound? If so, there wasn’t any.

2: Does the size of the file come into it? My files are between 3 & 5MB which could be a problem if they all had to be loaded to memory? Don’t know, just thinking out loud.

Which rang a bell, does Linux have a Swap File?

Now, I’m trying to work out whether the Flash Player I linked to, which I know plays swf files, no problem, will work under “Wine”? Problem is I don’t know the correct way to use “Wine” so any advice would be appreciated.

(For those thinking just grab a bottle and drink it, no show, the wife moves faster than me!) :(

Anyway, the bottom line is in two weeks we can Play Videos, Play Music, use the Internet, get E-Mails (Thunderbird), Open Widows Office Documents with Libre, including XLS files with Macros, in fact the only real challenge has been these damn swf files which windows Media Player wouldn’t play anyway.

Linux has certainly come a long way since I dumped it years ago because I couldn’t get a soft, dial-up modem to work.

Yes, there will be other challenges when we get into photo, sound, and movie editing programmes, but whilst I would like to be Microsoft free, they aren’t Microsoft programmes anyway, and are used so infrequently I can just leave my Win7 computer disconnected from the Internet and call it “Special Purpose”.

I’m expecting the “Microsoft Mafia” to turn up any time now to see why the Win 7 machine hasn’t called home. :D

B.M.
21-09-2016, 05:21 PM

Or Firefox it turns out.

Just caught up with your thread Dave after I posted.

Whilst I never got ambitious enough to try more than one at a time our findings were the same.

Do they have sound, I guess not if your playing three at a time. :D

KarameaDave
21-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Well, when I open one I get sound.
Do I recall you had to hack your sound system with pavucontrol?

Look there.

KarameaDave
21-09-2016, 07:15 PM
Well, when I open one I get sound.
Do I recall you had to hack your sound system with pavucontrol?

Look there.

KarameaDave
21-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Oooow double post !

fred_fish
21-09-2016, 09:26 PM

Or Firefox it turns out.

Hmm, my vlc won't play any of the swf samples I could find with a quick search either (gnash works), but it definitely did play swf's generated by a camera monitor setup (motion).
Seems it's just a container format, so probably depends on the actual content.

Rod J
22-09-2016, 12:05 AM
Right, I downloaded those sample files you linked to Rod, and Firefox (set as default) wouldn’t open them, but if I changed to gnash-gdk-launcher they opened fine. Problem is my original files still won’t open.

Now, a couple of things have crossed my mind.

1: Did either of the sample files have sound? If so, there wasn’t any.

No, there wasn't any sound when I played them in Firefox here.

2: Does the size of the file come into it? My files are between 3 & 5MB which could be a problem if they all had to be loaded to memory? Don’t know, just thinking out loud.

Which rang a bell, does Linux have a Swap File?

I doubt the size of those files will be a problem unless you have very, very limited memory i.e. less than 1Gb. Linux uses a swap partition not a swap file. The swap partition would have been created when you installed Mint.

Now, I’m trying to work out whether the Flash Player I linked to, which I know plays swf files, no problem, will work under “Wine”? Problem is I don’t know the correct way to use “Wine” so any advice would be appreciated.

(For those thinking just grab a bottle and drink it, no show, the wife moves faster than me!) :(

Did you install that Windows Flash player? ... If so you should be able to find it in the Start Menu. Either use the search function in the menu or there should be a separate entry in the Start Menu called "Wine" and any Wine applications should be found within it. :)

Anyway, the bottom line is in two weeks we can Play Videos, Play Music, use the Internet, get E-Mails (Thunderbird), Open Widows Office Documents with Libre, including XLS files with Macros, in fact the only real challenge has been these damn swf files which windows Media Player wouldn’t play anyway.

Linux has certainly come a long way since I dumped it years ago because I couldn’t get a soft, dial-up modem to work.

Yes, I agree. I first had a look a Linux around 2000 and it was certainly a geeks paradise back then. But when I had another look in 2008 I was very surprised how much more user friendly it had become. Only thing I had trouble with was setting up my old Lexmark printer, but I resolved that after some research using a Lexmark Linux driver for another model. My current Brother printer was much easier to install as Brother supplied Linux drivers for it.

Rod J
22-09-2016, 01:19 AM
I think an update to Firefox stopped the playback of .swf files as I tried again tonight and they wouldn't play in Firefox :(. It kept asking me what I wanted to open them with and gnash-gtk-launcher played them OK. To get them to play in Firefox again I had to edit a system file (/usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml). This web page details how: http://superuser.com/questions/726789/flash-files-swf-prompts-for-download-instead-of-opening This is a little advanced, so don't bother with this if you are happy playing .swf files in Gnash.

I can't figure out why your own .swf files still won't play. Are you sure the file hasn't been corrupted on the flash drive? Can you play that .swf file in Windows from the flash drive?

wainuitech
22-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Since this appears to be the linux post , tried to find answers on google, The search ---- "Kubuntu change workgroup name" basically all the same everything appears to bring up Ubuntu results and guess what doesn't work . Installed samba, seems strange it wasn't already there.

What I'm trying to do is replicate the problem fred asked about in PCTeks post to try and finally get an answer.

BUT changing the workgroup - what a mission, Kubuntu --- all the suggestions don't work.
Its suggested you open a terminal (easy) type in sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf Asks for password(entered) retype sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf SOURCE (http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_beginner_books/unofficial_ubuntu_starter_guide/index_105.html) & 2nd source (http://petestechblog.com/archives/475)

Error sudo: gedit command not found

What a muck about, why not just have an option in the settings ? Shouldn't have to install programs just to make basic setting changes. I have done it in the past years ago, and even then it was a lot of cmd work.

So what the fix ?

B.M.
22-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Ok, to answer a couple of questions and give an update.

Yes Dave we did have sound problems but everything else works fine now and I can’t see anything in the pavucontrol that is adjustable.

Yes Rod I can play the files on the flash drive on Flash Player within Windows.

I have also changed to different .swf files but no luck.

I was thinking as there is nothing personal in any of the .swf files I’d be happy to upload to Dropbox and let anyone have a play if they’re interested in trying to work out why some will play and others not.

In the meantime, I have installed “Wine” and proceeded to the "Wine configuration" Page where I found Flash Player in the programs (x86) folder.

I then tried to open Flash Movie Player but got the following message.

So I clicked on the yes button which took me to the Adobe site where I was offered the choice of

YUM for Linux (YUM)
.tar.gx for other Linux
.rpm for other Linux
APT for Ubuntu 10.04+

(I typed those because they wouldn’t screen-shoot)

I opted for APT for Ubuntu, purely a guess.

However, when I clicked Download I get the message saying adobe flash-plugin already installed.

I guess the problem is that Flash Player doesn't know where to look for the plug-in and needs to be told. Maybe that's "Wines" job?

Quite a challenge this one. :D

KarameaDave
22-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Wainuitech:

When you installed samba you installed the server, the client was already installed.

To change the workgroup name you open /etc/samba/smb.conf and edit the name there.
Then you can either restart the samba service or reboot.

gedit is not in Kubuntu it uses kate as it's text editor.

SO:

sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
won't work in Kubuntu

Try
sudo kate /etc/samba/smb.conf

KarameaDave
22-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Ok, to answer a couple of questions and give an update.

Yes Dave we did have sound problems but everything else works fine now and I can’t see anything in the pavucontrol that is adjustable.

Yes Rod I can play the files on the flash drive on Flash Player within Windows.

I have also changed to different .swf files but no luck.

I was thinking as there is nothing personal in any of the .swf files I’d be happy to upload to Dropbox and let anyone have a play if they’re interested in trying to work out why some will play and others not.

In the meantime, I have installed “Wine” and proceeded to the "Wine configuration" Page where I found Flash Player in the programs (x86) folder.

I then tried to open Flash Movie Player but got the following message.

So I clicked on the yes button which took me to the Adobe site where I was offered the choice of

YUM for Linux (YUM)
.tar.gx for other Linux
.rpm for other Linux
APT for Ubuntu 10.04+

(I typed those because they wouldn’t screen-shoot)

I opted for APT for Ubuntu, purely a guess.

However, when I clicked Download I get the message saying adobe flash-plugin already installed.

I guess the problem is that Flash Player doesn't know where to look for the plug-in and needs to be told. Maybe that's "Wines" job?

Quite a challenge this one. :D

You cant install a linux binary of flash in WINE, it is for running windows software ONLY.
Just get a windows .exe of flash and then install in WINE.

wainuitech
22-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Wainuitech:

When you installed samba you installed the server, the client was already installed.

To change the workgroup name you open /etc/samba/smb.conf and edit the name there.

SO:

won't work in Kubuntu

Try
sudo kate /etc/samba/smb.conf Thanks dave, that worked by changing the text editor. Funny how a google search seemed to always refer to Ubuntu and not kubuntu

B.M.
22-09-2016, 12:58 PM
You cant install a linux binary of flash in WINE, it is for running windows software ONLY.
Just get a windows .exe of flash and then install in WINE.

Sorry Dave can't work that one out.

The only flash .exe I could find was the Installer, not the actual file itself, and that doesn't give one a choice to install to "wine" or anywhere else for that matter. :confused:

KarameaDave
22-09-2016, 01:55 PM
The full installer from Adobe

select the one for XP Vista and 7
download it. it will be just over 19MB
then right click/ select open with/ select Wine Windows Program Loader

The thing installed here OK

As for whether that will help you with your playing of .swf
I don't know

but I don't have problems with the .swf files I have, they play fine in Gnash.

Rod J
22-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Wainuitech:

SO:

won't work in Kubuntu

Try
sudo kate /etc/samba/smb.conf

Almost 100% correct Dave but you shouldn't use sudo with gui apps (Kate, etc). The correct command would be:
kdesudo kate /etc/samba/smb.conf

and if this was really Ubuntu (not Kubuntu) you were running it would be:
gksudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

The reason for the distinction between sudo and kdesudo/gksudo is here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo#Graphical_sudo

KarameaDave
22-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Almost 100% correct Dave but you shouldn't use sudo with gui apps (Kate, etc). The correct command would be:
kdesudo kate /etc/samba/smb.conf

and if this was really Ubuntu (not Kubuntu) you were running it would be:
gksudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

The reason for the distinction between sudo and kdesudo/gksudo is here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo#Graphical_sudo

Thanks Rod

Rod J
22-09-2016, 02:31 PM
@B.M. Am I correct in assuming that you can't play any .swf files or you can play some but not your own one?

Maybe we should try checking the system for any problems with the installed applications:

sudo apt-get -f install

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Repeat those two until neither gives an error report. IF they find and fix installation errors then reboot after you get a clean pass.

The easiest and most likely way to avoid typos when using terminal commands is to copy and paste rather than retype them. The only catch is that in the terminal you need to hold down the SHIFT key as well as the CTRL key to copy and paste. That's a little trick that probably confuses many newbies I'm sure. :)

B.M.
22-09-2016, 03:31 PM
The full installer from Adobe

select the one for XP Vista and 7
download it. it will be just over 19MB
then right click/ select open with/ select Wine Windows Program Loader

The thing installed here OK

As for whether that will help you with your playing of .swf
I don't know

but I don't have problems with the .swf files I have, they play fine in Gnash.

Thanks Dave, I'm on the case.

B.M.
22-09-2016, 03:38 PM
@B.M. Am I correct in assuming that you can't play any .swf files or you can play some but not your own one?

Maybe we should try checking the system for any problems with the installed applications:

sudo apt-get -f install

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Repeat those two until neither gives an error report. IF they find and fix installation errors then reboot after you get a clean pass.

The easiest and most likely way to avoid typos when using terminal commands is to copy and paste rather than retype them. The only catch is that in the terminal you need to hold down the SHIFT key as well as the CTRL key to copy and paste. That's a little trick that probably confuses many newbies I'm sure. :)

Ok to clarify things:

I can view the files you linked to with gnash only. Firefox & VLC don’t work.

I can’t play any of mine with anything associated with Linux Mint.

However, they all play with Flash Player in Windows.

That was what was behind my thinking that if we could get Flash Player to work via wine our problem may be solved.

Anyway, just for a bit of fun, years ago I put together a Health & Safety spoof in .swf and anybody interested in trying to open it, especially with Linex, can find it HERE (https://www.dropbox.com/s/kb6mbuneg8639ml/Health%20and%20Saftey.swf?dl=0) at Dropbox.

I'll get back on the file check Rod.

B.M.
22-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Easiest bit first.

I think it looks OK Rod?

Now to install Flash :rolleyes:

Rod J
22-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Yeah, that looks OK ... but you need to run the second command too (sudo dpkg --configure -a). I see you've got another 43 updates. You seem to get a lot of updates. Maybe if someone is running the same version of Mint might be able to say if that is happening with their install. My older install of Mint gets only a few updates (one today).

In Firefox if you go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ does it tell you that Flash is installed? You should get the Flash animation and a box telling you which version you have installed. Here, in Kubuntu I haven't got the Flash plugin installed so it tells me that "A plugin is needed to display this content".

Rod J
22-09-2016, 04:46 PM
BTW, I played that "Health and Safety.swf" no problem in Mint's 17.2's Firefox. I'm very impressed, quite a cool sequence of photos and nice music ... that is one job I couldn't do for any money as heights don't agree with me at all! :waughh:

Kame
22-09-2016, 04:55 PM
So I thought I would just randomly find SWF files online to test in Firefox and they all worked fine with sound. So it is possible we have a SWF file that doesnt conform to specification and the error handling in Windows may correct it while Linux implies strictness. They force you not to take shortcuts and its a way I follow.

I am surprise VLC chose to support SWF because as the developers said, it was not a movie format but an animation. To be more specific, its a container that makes use of storing Flash videos so someone may have twisted their arms or mplayer added it which VLC builds upon.

This would be a detour in progressing, as I would suggest means to decompile/disassemble, extract, convert or check conformity. Just to see if we could fix that SWF file.

These formats are the reason open formats came about because you should not need to be stuck to it.

B.M.
22-09-2016, 05:07 PM
You guys aren’t going to believe this, but I thought I’d better check that my Dropbox link worked so I tried it and got told couldn’t preview .swf files. Ahh that rang a bell as I recall that happened under Windows, so I downloaded it and bugger me days if it didn’t play perfectly with Flash Player through WINE.

So I tried the Hervey Bay holiday .swf off the Flash Drive and perfect again.

Now, I never got around to reinstalling Flash, and the only thing that happened between times was I ran that command you posted Rod. Could that have just fixed something?

Anyway, I’m stoked, so thanks to everyone who contributed, especially, in alphabetical order, Dave, Kame and Rod.

And just for the Linux knockers, there has been over 26,000 following this thread, so Linux is hardly “Dead in the Water”. ;)

PS: Just read your post Rod and I’d like to get an Image / back-up / roll back position, so if something turns to custard with those updates, I can get back to where I am now with everything working fine.

Any thoughts?

:thanks Everyone.

gary67
22-09-2016, 07:37 PM
I like Linux and do use it on my media PC however I never have been and never will be a command line fan which is one of the reasons I don't use it for my main computer, that and a couple of must have programs won't run under Wine

wainuitech
22-09-2016, 07:53 PM
And just for the Linux knockers, there has been over 26,000 following this thread, so Linux is hardly “Dead in the Water”. ;)
. Who said Linux was dead in the water ?? -- No One. Many people simply want to look at whats being written, you'll find many of the counts are from the same people, every time a person visits the thread it will add 1, you do of course realize that a high number of the posts are your own, so if you went in 50 times there would be 50 views, not 26K people. Still a LONG way behind the thread you called "still not going".

You'll find as soon as problems stop getting asked the thread will fade into the never nevers.

Good you finally got it sorted, Till next time ;)

fred_fish
22-09-2016, 09:21 PM
No Can do sorry, that was close to a year ago, on linux forums I usually never visit ( cant even remember the sites, only have the word Linux in them), didn't use the same user name as here, and chances of finding those posts would be next to zero. It was for a customers Linux Server, not mine.Shame, it would probably be enlightening to see the chosen venue and the context for your claims.

Since this appears to be the linux post , tried to find answers on google, The search ---- "Kubuntu change workgroup name" basically all the same everything appears to bring up Ubuntu results and guess what doesn't work . Installed samba, seems strange it wasn't already there.

What I'm trying to do is replicate the problem fred asked about in PCTeks post to try and finally get an answer.

BUT changing the workgroup - what a mission, Kubuntu --- all the suggestions don't work.
Its suggested you open a terminal (easy) type in sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf Asks for password(entered) retype sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf SOURCE (http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_beginner_books/unofficial_ubuntu_starter_guide/index_105.html) & 2nd source (http://petestechblog.com/archives/475)

Error sudo: gedit command not found

What a muck about, why not just have an option in the settings ? Shouldn't have to install programs just to make basic setting changes. I have done it in the past years ago, and even then it was a lot of cmd work.

So what the fix ?Given this example, it's hardly surprising that you got a less than satisfactory "support experience". "What a hassle, why can't it be like windows" generally turns off the helpful and brings out the trolls - a little willingness to listen and learn go a long way, and your knowledge of how windows does it isn't worth much.

Changing the 'workgroup' implies SMB (Windows) networking, (that has zero to do with 'Linux') and there is nothing simple at all about the mechanics of that poorly documented and constantly changing protocol (ever wondered why different windows version have so much trouble communicating? - and that's from people who have access to all the 'secrets' that the samba people have to discover for themselves).

FWIW the workgroup name is largely irrelevant for linux client machines browsing and connecting to SMB servers and most default installs include smbclient and associated functionality in the file managers so that it "just works" regardless of the workgroup name.

If you want your machine to be a "server" for other SMB clients, then installing and configuring the basic details of the samba server package would do the trick.
Both gnome and KDE have gui settings tools to configure this and there are probably a few other standalone packages for this purpose too - I was always partial to the SWAT 'samba web admin tool' but it hasn't been updated for the changes in the latest samba suite.

The most basic level (available in all environments so usually what is advised without having to find out what version of what DE and what config tools you have installed) is to edit the smb.conf file directly with whatever text editor you have available. It's a simple list of parameter names and corresponding values that include WORKGROUP=whateveryouwant.

How to do basic tasks like using a text editor as root on your chosen distro is a separate question and shouldn't be part of your samba query.

fred_fish
22-09-2016, 10:05 PM
Any thoughts?Your nice H&S .swf plays fine in Firefox with the flashplayer-nonfree plugin enabled.

gnash won't play it - the properties show this:
7475...whatever that "AVM2" Root VM version means (the 'unsupported' seems fairly clear :) ).

B.M.
23-09-2016, 06:36 AM
Who said Linux was dead in the water ?? -- No One. Many people simply want to look at whats being written, you'll find many of the counts are from the same people, every time a person visits the thread it will add 1, you do of course realize that a high number of the posts are your own, so if you went in 50 times there would be 50 views, not 26K people. Still a LONG way behind the thread you called "still not going".

You'll find as soon as problems stop getting asked the thread will fade into the never nevers.

Good you finally got it sorted, Till next time ;)

Goodness me Wainui, you really must see if Microsoft will de-programme you. Probably not if they are using a “Apple brainwashing App”. :eek:

However, to address some of the points you raise:

Who said Linux was dead in the water ?? -- No One. Not so, plenty of people have, including myself some 20 years ago.

I note that over 27,000 have now been reported to have viewed the thread and when that is weighed against only 200 posts and a time frame of just of just 16 days I can only conclude there is considerable interest in Linux and rightly so, so my contribution to the views and posts is therefore insignificant in the big picture. :)

Kame
23-09-2016, 07:20 AM
The difference between using sudo or gksudo/kdesudo is how the password prompt is asked, inside your terminal or as a GUI display prompt (a frontend to sudo). sudo gives the benefit of terminal output.

Different defaults used does not justify using one over the other, learn your sudo parameters to get the same effect.

wainuitech
23-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Goodness me Wainui, you really must see if Microsoft will de-programme you. Probably not if they are using a “Apple brainwashing App”. :eek:

However, to address some of the points you raise:

Not so, plenty of people have, including myself some 20 years ago.

I note that over 27,000 have now been reported to have viewed the thread and when that is weighed against only 200 posts and a time frame of just of just 16 days I can only conclude there is considerable interest in Linux and rightly so, so my contribution to the views and posts is therefore insignificant in the big picture. :) Ha bloody ha. you're so funny. :p

If you wanted to believe that Linux was dead then that's your choice. To bad its incorrect.
Linux has never been user friendly like Apple or Windows, and as long as they insist on using commands to do some basic tasks it never will be. I spose if all a person wants to do is basic things like reading web pages, email it wouldn't be a problem.

As for the post count, well if people looking at this thread turns you on then good on it, here's a thrill, I just looked so the number has gone up by 1 :p

What you don't seem to realise, and if you care to look at other threads on other subjects, sometimes its when there is a post relating to what ever, and you get a few people who have a negative or smart / cheeky reply the view counts go up. Think of it as soap program.

Look at the majority of the posts that someone asks something and its answered rather quickly - low counts. This thread -- When ever a post drags on creating more pages the view goes up - people just want to see what's being said, DOESN"T mean they are interested in Linux at all. If there were thousands of replies from thousands of people then I'd agree.

Another example -- Sometimes it also depends on who is asking or replying in the thread, some people like to see what's being said. There's LOTS of people who will have the same or similar problem and don't ( for what ever reason) wont ask on a public forum, so they learn something as well.
I myself, when ever Chilling_Silence is discussing a networking or modem problem follow the thread, he always has honest reliable suggestions and you can learn a lot= higher view count.

Then of course theres googles and other search bots -- So hate to say it but it wont be all people that have viewed your thread.

Search engine bots can account for a high number of Views to the post, which portray a false picture of topic interesthttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot

B.M.
23-09-2016, 07:58 AM
Ok guys my project for today is to Clone / back-up / or whatever it takes to get back to where I am now should I stuff something up.

What's the best approach to this with Linux Mint?

wainuitech
23-09-2016, 08:18 AM
Ok guys my project for today is to Clone / back-up / or whatever it takes to get back to where I am now should I stuff something up.

What's the best approach to this with Linux Mint? First you need to decide what you want to do, basically theres 3 options.

Clone = Exact copy of the Drive in a working state(plug it in and its exactly the same)
Image = Compressed single file that can be stored on something like a USB drive, and dropped back when required.
Backup = Just backing up any user data.

A quick google search brings up a program called timeshift ( for Linux) Meant to work similar to Windows system restore. But the Linux experts can advise.
If it works it would be good for minor oops !! but for real hum dinger stuff ups - may be not so.

But heres the link if you wish to read: https://www.unixmen.com/systemback-restore-linux-system-previous-state/

B.M.
23-09-2016, 08:23 AM
Ha bloody ha. you're so funny. :p

If you wanted to believe that Linux was dead then that's your choice. To bad its incorrect.

Goodness me Wainui you really must take your Microsoft Glasses off and read what’s written.

I said I was one who believed Linux was “Dead in the Water” 20 years ago.

I now believe it has come a long way and in fact easier to deal with than Win 8, Win 8.1 and Win 10 if it wasn’t for Classic Shell.

As for Win 10, I can’t wait for “now downloading version 13658762354987341”. :rolleyes:

wainuitech
23-09-2016, 09:03 AM
Goodness me Wainui you really must take your Microsoft Glasses off and read what’s written.

I said I was one who believed Linux was “Dead in the Water” 20 years ago.

I now believe it has come a long way and in fact easier to deal with than Win 8, Win 8.1 and Win 10 if it wasn’t for Classic Shell.

As for Win 10, I can’t wait for “now downloading version 13658762354987341”. :rolleyes:

Blimey, YOU are in for a shock. :eek:

You do of course know that Linux updates its version on average 2-4 times a year, Public release - which is way more than windows or iOS. ?

If you don't believe me look it up.

Windows 10 - updated version 2 times since July 2015 - August 2016 ( original + 2 upgrades)

Linux - Updated versions 8 times since April, 2015 - July, 2016

So who upgrades to new versions more ?

KarameaDave
23-09-2016, 10:59 AM
The Linux kernel is updated frequently, this does not mean that every user, on every distribution is updating their kernel so often.

Linux Mint, which BM is trying out, runs on LTS kernels which are changed infrequently.

Applications, Desktop Environment etc are updated as needed, as improvements and bugfixs are released.
Mint 18 allows the user to choose between three update policies so if you are update averse then choose the most conservative,
'Don't break my computer'. Personally I stick with the middle policy, 'Optimize stability and security'.
some tips here for fiddlers:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20

As for system imaging and cloning there are quite a few possibilities but one popular one is Clonezilla

I suggest you-tube for tutorials on its use.

Mint has a 'Backup Tool' if that is needed also.

23-09-2016, 12:00 PM
Wouldnt any CD Bootable imaging program work just fine ? Might be any easier option if you dont mind booting from CD to do an image
Use a imaging boot CD something you're familar with ?

B.M.
23-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Wouldnt any CD Bootable imaging program work just fine ? Might be any easier option if you dont mind booting from CD to do an image

I wondered that too but then thought maybe not, as Linux has a completely different file system, as I found out a couple of weeks ago when trying to install Mint on a blank disk in NTFS format. :rolleyes:

KarameaDave
23-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Yep, but most Linux users use clonezilla, apparently.
I don't bother with imaging Linux, only Windows, so can't comment further.

wainuitech
23-09-2016, 02:11 PM
I wondered that too but then thought maybe not, as Linux has a completely different file system, as I found out a couple of weeks ago when trying to install Mint on a blank disk in NTFS format. :rolleyes: If the imaging software is good enough it will create an image no matter what format.

Take HP computers, they use a couple of different formats in their partitions on the same PC-- no problems at all.

dugimodo
23-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Just be sure to image all the partitions and you should be ok.

B.M.
24-09-2016, 07:06 AM
Well in the absence of a multitude of suggestions as to backing up Mint, I thought Wainui’s link looked promising so I gave it a go. Well it did say it was only for Ubuntu based systems but Mint doesn’t appear to be one of them.

Pity, because I thought the Roll back, Restore Point feature looked quite promising.

Anyway, here is a screen-shot of my failure in the highly likely event of me stuffing up. :D

Kame
24-09-2016, 07:08 AM
What are you willing to sacrifice on a personal computer? For me it is time. So reinstalling the OS and configuring settings is my time lost. My data is kept in my home directory which is all synchronised with each PC/laptop. I only back up that directory

I use rsync which is a termimal program.

KarameaDave
24-09-2016, 10:09 AM
You forgot to sudo apt-get update in the middle of the other commands, so apt is not aware of the changes to repositories you made by adding the ppa.

So:
open terminal/ type in: sudo apt-get update
then press enter give it your password and enter again.
after the terminal prompt reappears you can continue with the install command that failed.

Systemback installed successfully here just now.

B.M.
24-09-2016, 11:21 AM
Dahhhhh, thanks Dave, that fixed it and thanks Wainui if it works it could be a handy App. :thumbs:

The reason I preferred this over clone is for Clone to be useful it really needs to be on another disk, whereas hopefully if I stuff up again, as I’m sure I will, it will just require a roll back.

Well that’s the theory, so now I’ll install the Updates in waiting and hope if one screws the system I can recover without a lot of trouble.

Oh, for those interested, setting the restore point took 15mins, but that could be because it’s the first.
Time will tell.

gary67
24-09-2016, 01:04 PM
What are you willing to sacrifice on a personal computer? For me it is time. So reinstalling the OS and configuring settings is my time lost. My data is kept in my home directory which is all synchronised with each PC/laptop. I only back up that directory

I use rsync which is a termimal program.

And that is why the masses won't change.

I hate command line, if linux could do everything by Gui I would probably switch most of our computers over until then it ain't happening

B.M.
24-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Can you make Batch Files for Linux?

fred_fish
24-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Can you make Batch Files for Linux?

Certainly.
Bash script would be the closest equivalent, but nowhere near as limited as a batch file.
Also perl, python and many other scripting languages if you prefer.

KarameaDave
24-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Shell scripts are the UNIX equivalent to batch files.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_script

http://www.freeos.com/guides/lsst/

fred_fish
24-09-2016, 04:01 PM
And that is why the masses won't change.

I hate command line, if linux could do everything by Gui I would probably switch most of our computers over until then it ain't happening

"Linux" can do everything by GUI, as long as someone has made a gui to do exactly what you want - the various big DE's cover most common stuff with gui tools.

The plus side of 'command line' is it's pretty much universal and you can do whatever you like, without waiting for someone to design a push-button interface (suitable for the environment and toolkits you are using) that includes all the options you want.

Windows also has lots of options and features that aren't available via gui tools.
There are also a lot more people developing stuff for niche use cases.

There's not really a lot of incentive for a volunteer developer to spend their limited time crafting a nice gui interface to replicate functionality that is already easily done with existing tools and a 5 minute read of the docs.

Of course, anyone can if they want, and the lack of a particular tool generally means no-one who can, wants to.

B.M.
24-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Well that’s encouraging Fred.

I was just trying to think back to DOS and early Windows when I seem to recall writing a heap of instructions in notepad and then saving them as .bat files which in turn saved me a lot of typing.

I’m just wondering if a similar process would help those like myself, who excel at typist errors in the command line.

However, writing anything in any Programming Language is way out of my league. :crying

oooops got threads crossing.

I'll do some study.

fred_fish
24-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Bash script is the same commands you type on the cli and, yes you use a text editor to type them up and save them.

You can put a 'shebang' as the first line to describe which interpreter to use (#!/bin/bash or #!/bin/python or such not always necessary but avoids confusion) and make the file executable with a 'chmod +x myflashscript' (or rt-click -> properties -> tick the 'executable' box :) ).

Rod J
24-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Yeah, batch files in Linux (aka bash scripts) are like batch files on steroids! Back in the DOS days I used to use a more advanced batch command line app called 4Dos and the Linux command line is much more powerful than that. 4Dos had some nice features which I've been able to replicate here in Linux too.

I've written quite a few scripts to do various things, especially backing up stuff using rsync which Kame mentioned earlier. I've written some small ones which I have in the Kickoff menu (KDE Start menu) which I can run just by clicking an icon. One of the most useful scripts toggles my second monitor on/off and is much faster than any gui app could do it.

wainuitech
24-09-2016, 04:56 PM
"Linux" can do everything by GUI, as long as someone has made a gui to do exactly what you want - the various big DE's cover most common stuff with gui tools.

. Where in linux Mint is the GUI to change a workgroupName please ?

Due to this thread, and deciding to "play" I've installed mint on a Old pc, also I'm in the process of making up another NAS and a free OS would be OK. Installed Samba no problems.

BUT trying to change the workgroup is a PITA !! Mainly because commands given in one distro are different to another, mainly what editors. Ubuntu meant to use gedit, Kbuntu uses "kate", Mint I tried gedit ( which all the forms and instructions say to use) - Errrrrrror no such editor, so must be using something else again ---------geeeeeeessssss Make their minds up what they are going to use please.

At least in windows & iOS its a couple of clicks in a GUI, change workgroup name to what ever you want - reboot -Done.

BTW Fred :) , you asked for an example of a dud answer. One I just found when searching for the correct commands to change the workgroup-- Not exactly helpful is it = epic fail :)

There is an issue with Samba, that Windows has regarding Workgroup naming. We have found that just leaving it as "WORKGROUP". Resolves a lot of those problems. What should be a simple task is made into a mission :(

Rod J
24-09-2016, 05:08 PM
I have a gui app installed here to configure samba: the package is called system-config-samba ... should be available for most Ubuntu based distros. It lets you change the workgroup name really easy too.

Rod J
24-09-2016, 05:26 PM
@B.M. and others: it appears that the nz.archive.ubuntu.com server is offline currently so updates will fail with various error messages. This happens every now and then, last time I recall was about a year ago.

B.M.
24-09-2016, 05:28 PM
Struth, the answers are coming faster than the questions. :eek:

Well you guys have been doing so well getting Mint up and running, 100% success rate which is unbelievable, so I just thought of something difficult. (for me anyway)

I have a Samsung GT-S5300 mobile and it connects to Windows via a Samsung programme called Kies.

Probably most of you knew that anyway, (about Kies) which is a prick of a programme even on a good day. Well it is here.

So, seeing there is a zillion Samsung Mobiles in service I figured seeing I can’t find a Samsung product for Linux, somebody must have written one, given the numbers that use each product.

So, whilst I’m reading these Links, (Thank you Dave) that’s your homework.

How do I connect my Samsung Mobile to Mint to access the address book – Pictures – Messages etc.? :thumbs:

fred_fish
24-09-2016, 05:52 PM
I have used 'KDE Connect' successfully but that is for KDE integration - don't know about Mint/Cinnamon sorry, their wiki/forums would be the place to look.

wainuitech
24-09-2016, 06:02 PM
I have a gui app installed here to configure samba: the package is called system-config-samba ... should be available for most Ubuntu based distros. It lets you change the workgroup name really easy too. Sweet, I'll look at that tomorrow.

BUT may end up using a NAS software called Open-E,(got an older version on a NAS here - rock solid) The free version has 4TB storage, MORE then enough for what the people want also less un-needed rubbish of a complete desktop OS.

fred_fish
24-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Where in linux Mint is the GUI to change a workgroupName please ?
See RodJ's answer.

Due to this thread, and deciding to "play" I've installed mint on a Old pc, also I'm in the process of making up another NAS and a free OS would be OK. Installed Samba no problems.

BUT trying to change the workgroup is a PITA !! Mainly because commands given in one distro are different to another, mainly what editors. Ubuntu meant to use gedit, Kbuntu uses "kate", Mint I tried gedit ( which all the forms and instructions say to use) - Errrrrrror no such editor, so must be using something else again ---------geeeeeeessssss Make their minds up what they are going to use please.Surely you don't expect everyone to be satisfied with the same text editor?
'nano' (a cli editor easily invokable as root) is very easy and available pretty much eveywhere - maybe just use that if you don't want to find out how your chosen OS works.

BTW Fred :) , you asked for an example of a dud answer. One I just found when searching for the correct commands to change the workgroup-- Not exactly helpful is it = epic fail :)

What should be a simple task is made into a mission :(What problems?
A contextless (and unattributed) quote is pretty useless, no?
FWIW I have several networks running with different workgroups and haven't seen any issues getting win clients to work seamlessly with samba servers.

wainuitech
24-09-2016, 06:43 PM
S
What problems?
A contextless (and unattributed) quote is pretty useless, no?
FWIW I have several networks running with different workgroups and haven't seen any issues getting win clients to work seamlessly with samba servers. Its totally bloody useless answer on that other forum. The person wanted to change a Linux PC to join a current Windows network, and the answer certainly is of no help. I tried, and two different differently named workgroups WONT see Linux on its default.

What the answer is saying is change ALL the other computers to "Workgroup". NOW if you think about it, lets say the business has hundreds of computers on a workgroup called "Eastern" so the answer since linux was being stubborn the solution is to change hundreds of Computers to match one stubborn linux.. If you think thats an acceptable solution then you certainly must be crazy.

fred_fish
24-09-2016, 07:58 PM
So you're saying you found a useless post on some unnamed internet forum?
Who ever heard of such a thing?

As for the (still less than clear) problem, your extrapolation sounds ludicrous, rather than changing your hundreds of win machines workgroup names (that presumably can't "see" your linux server with a different name?), I would suggest simply renaming the workgroup on your linux pc and restarting the samba service.

wainuitech
24-09-2016, 08:45 PM
So you're saying you found a useless post on some unnamed internet forum?
Who ever heard of such a thing?

As for the (still less than clear) problem, your extrapolation sounds ludicrous, rather than changing your hundreds of win machines workgroup names (that presumably can't "see" your linux server with a different name?), I would suggest simply renaming the workgroup on your linux pc and restarting the samba service. Gees Fred your good :lol:... if you had bothered to read previous posts you would have read that is EXACTLY what I was trying to do, and asking how.

Rod replied, and I answered saying I would try his suggestion, YET the very next post you posted the same reply to read Rods reply.

Just so you can keep up with the play -- your post #222, I replied / asked where the GUI setting was #226. Rod replied with a answer#227, I replied #231, you posted the same thing pointing to Rods post#232 with "See RodJ's answer"

Keep up with the play man.

fred_fish
24-09-2016, 09:05 PM
Maybe check the timestamps on the posts ... we were posting at the same time.

Sorry if I seem confused about your (?) issue, but you keep referring to responses, on some other forum, to someone elses (unquoted and unlinked) question. Without knowing what you're referring to it's quite hard to determine if your issue is even the same, or if the claimed useless responses are even relevant to your situation.
edit: and who's giving them...

wainuitech
24-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Time stamps - Sweet as, I posted at 6.02 - You replied at 6.03pm. Its still obvious the posts were not fully read since it was put I was trying to change a workgroup to suit and couldn't get it to work almost an hour previous.

Doesn't matter anyway, decided not going to use Mint, Kbuntu etc, going with the actual better NAS software, forgot I have 8 spare licences (re read the post if you want to know which one). A NAS doesn't need all the crap desktop OS's have. It's actually easier to setup, you can manually set your IP address during install, then use a browser to log into the interface and make changes from that, including the workgroup, shares, users, groups, permissions, remote access,everything.

The reference I gave, I really thought you would know what I was referring to, since you had asked me only a day or so back, esp when I stated "you asked for an example of a dud answer". You may not remember or have read that I cant remember the original forum last year so Cant link to it.

Read posts fully instead of skim reading or only reading parts.

fred_fish
24-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Its still obvious the posts were not fully read since it was put I was trying to change a workgroup to suit and couldn't get it to work almost an hour previous. Still?
I read the posts and you got multiple answers, I thought that was done, but you seemed to be still trying to find the most complicated way to do it, installing a separate gui tool to change one line in a text file.

I tried, and two different differently named workgroups WONT see Linux on its default.That's not diagnostically helpful at all, but then, you're not really interested in solving the problem at all, are you?

Doesn't matter anyway, decided not going to use Mint, Kbuntu etc, going with the actual better NAS software, forgot I have 8 spare licences (re read the post if you want to know which one). A NAS doesn't need all the crap desktop OS's have.Of course not, that's why linux distro's make separate, optional packages for desktops and applications and servers (and samba gui config tools) so you can get a system that does just what you want/need.
It's actually easier to setup, you can manually set your IP address during install, then use a browser to log into the interface and make changes from that, including the workgroup, shares, users, groups, permissions, remote access,everything.But, you do know it's "Linux" right?

The reference I gave, I really thought you would know what I was referring to, since you had asked me only a day or so back, esp when I stated "you asked for an example of a dud answer". You may not remember or have read that I cant remember the original forum last year so Cant link to it.

Read posts fully instead of skim reading or only reading parts.Really?

One I just found when searching for the correct commands to change the workgroup

I have zero interest in you proving you can find a dud answer (to anything) somewhere on the internet, just that if you're going to post quotes to back up your claims, you should post a link for context and attribution - for all we know, you could be just making it up.

Kame
25-09-2016, 01:30 AM
So many different text editors, it can be confusing, but people posting terminal commands to open up a graphical text editor already shows poor knowledge.

If im suggesting terminal, then the most common text editor for most linux distributions is 'vi', cant rely on nano/pico to be installed.

B.M.
25-09-2016, 09:04 AM
Well I’ve been Googling this matter of connecting my mobile phone to the computer to download photos, address book, messages etc. and have come up with an assortment of answers.

One was adamant that you just had to install mtp-tools, another said don’t use a cable use the network and it will work with any phone.

So any comments on these vastly different approaches? :confused:

KarameaDave
25-09-2016, 09:36 AM
Can't really help there BM as I still refuse to carry an NSA/Chinese Govt tracking device.

You may be more familiar with it's common name... Smartphone.

I can't stay long.... the paranoids are after me! :D

Driftwood
25-09-2016, 09:40 AM
If I plug in any android device to charge on my Mint 18 system, it will show the device on the desktop.
You can open, view or add files if you wish.
No additional software required.

Rod J
25-09-2016, 09:50 AM
I can connect my iPhone 4 to my PC via USB and in Kubuntu it pops up as a removable drive I can then mount. Best thing for you to do would be to search the Mint forum for your make/model of cellphone (or similar) and see what others have done. You are going to get more relevant help from more Linux knowledgeable people on Mint and other Linux forums than you're going to get here. My knowledge of Mint is limited, Kubuntu I'm more comfortable with.

Rod J
25-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Oh, to add to the above: I can only copy photos from my iPhone to the PC ... unlike my old Android phone I can't easily copy anything from my PC to the iPhone ... Apple! :annoyed:

fred_fish
25-09-2016, 10:01 AM
For direct file access, (photos, music, downloads, etc) my phone (Samsung S5) shows up in the file manager when I plug it in (and unlock and "allow" on the phone).

My calendar/contacts (and specified files also) sync automatically with my Owncloud and Thunderbird accesses that - same can be done with Google Tbird addon as you're likely already syncing with them.

Any SMS I want to keep I forward to email.

See also https://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/2327

Airdroid is another option, but via "someone elses server" if that concerns you.

wainuitech
25-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Still?
I read the posts and you got multiple answers, I thought that was done, but you seemed to be still trying to find the most complicated way to do it, installing a separate gui tool to change one line in a text file.

.Flippin hell your an idiot, you twist things around and you are making yourself out to be just a ******. I did ask how to change the name of a workgroup, and mentioned all the forums looked at say in a thermal you type sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf Yet when you do that it errors saying no such editor (or similar wording) then others say you don't use gedit. Rod gave option to install a GUI, which I did try. Have now wiped the Mint drive and installed the NAS software.

YES I KNOW the NAS software is Linux based, but due to your limited understanding maybe you cant figure it out I've used it before, and is completely different to a desktop OS.

if you're going to post quotes to back up your claims, you should post a link for context and attribution - for all we know, you could be just making it up. Exactly which part of my comment it was last year and cant remember the site is unclear ?

OK smart arse -- you wanted proof -- heres another forum someone asks the same question, the answer given does not give exact instructions to someone who doesn't know on how to open the text editor, or what text editor or the command to use, only what to change . http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/how-to-set-computer-name-and-workgroup-name-in-linux-467399/ People who don't use Linux wont know what commands are required.

As I said before the majority of sites say use sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf Which doesn't work in mint.

B.M.
25-09-2016, 10:35 AM
Can't really help there BM as I still refuse to carry an NSA/Chinese Govt tracking device.

You may be more familiar with it's common name... Smartphone.

I can't stay long.... the paranoids are after me! :D

Ahhh, you need a Maxwell Smart Phone complete with Cone of Silence.

See HERE (https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=maxwell+smart+cone+of+silence&biw=1662&bih=792&tbm=isch&imgil=c3d31dZ5ix1YxM%253A%253Bhl3rJ1RXwYb5qM%253Bh ttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.linkedin.com%25252Fpu lse%25252F20140831171249-3932339-the-cone-of-silence-doesn-t-really-work&source=iu&pf=m&fir=c3d31dZ5ix1YxM%253A%252Chl3rJ1RXwYb5qM%252C_&usg=__9w3-RSu2lwCvstGrztXb0d0JXDE%3D&ved=0ahUKEwipu-G4hqnPAhWIHZQKHQesC5IQyjcIJQ&ei=3P3mV6ndCIi70ASH2K6QCQ#imgrc=7VHXx5yJcAvXFM%3A)

KarameaDave
25-09-2016, 10:50 AM
Ahhh, you need a Maxwell Smart Phone complete with Cone of Silence.

Hmmmm, just the ticket, if I can source one,
it won't fit in a standard jean pocket though.

Maybe if I get the shrink-ray from fantastic voyage I can make it fit.

Always wanted a shoe phone since the first time I saw Max using his.

Now I won't have one as a gift.

fred_fish
25-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Flippin hell your an idiot, you twist things around and you are making yourself out to be just a ******. I did ask how to change the name of a workgroup, and mentioned all the forums looked at say in a thermal you type sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf Yet when you do that it errors saying no such editor (or similar wording) then others say you don't use gedit. Rod gave option to install a GUI, which I did try. Have now wiped the Mint drive and installed the NAS software.

YES I KNOW the NAS software is Linux based, but due to your limited understanding maybe you cant figure it out I've used it before, and is completely different to a desktop OS.Wasn't having so many different versions part of the problem?
See, linux with a nice gui to change all the relevant setting to it's intended function (presumably including workgroup name).

Exactly which part of my comment it was last year and cant remember the site is unclear ?This:
One I just found when searching for the correct commands to change the workgroup.

OK smart arse -- you wanted proof -- heres another forum someone asks the same question, the answer given does not give exact instructions to someone who doesn't know on how to open the text editor, or what text editor or the command to use, only what to change . http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/how-to-set-computer-name-and-workgroup-name-in-linux-467399/ People who don't use Linux wont know what commands are required.People who don't use linux wouldn't be asking the question.
Your linked post seems perfectly reasonable to me - a clear answer to the question asked.
It's a general linux site and the OP didn't specify the system they were using.
I note it also doesn't mention breathing in and out while performing the change - hopefully the OP didn't die as a consequence. :)

As I said before the majority of sites say use sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf Which doesn't work in mint.
On distro specific sites, like Ubuntuforums, answers are typically going to be tailored to that systems default tools, (so sudo and gedit etc.)

Kame
25-09-2016, 06:22 PM
Although, it is probably wiser to know what programs you do have on your system, here's a way that can help you in many situations.

So instead of:

sudo not_sure_i_have_this_editor /etc/samba/smb.conf

(gedit, kate, xed, etc)

You should be able to do:

sudo xdg-open /etc/samba/smb.conf

Now you are using the OS to determine what your preferred program is to open it with. If you use it on movie files, expect a movie player to open, etc. Whether it's foolproof, no idea, just thought of thinking of a way to be more universal when offering advice without being tied specifically to any editor (an open way of doing things).