PDA

View Full Version : ME

03-01-2002, 08:58 PM
Don't do it on any account! I bought a new machine in June and it came loaded with ME - disaster! I have now reverted to 98SE and everything works again. ME doesn't like third party programmes.

03-01-2002, 09:47 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience Bill.
I bought my preloaded WinMe in April and had no problems that I haven't caused myself.
What specifically went wrong?
Signed: Curious...

03-01-2002, 10:51 PM
Ditto with graeme. I got ME preinstalled with my puter and it has had not many problems apart from ones caused by me playing or a few issues that have now been resolved through windows update. According to my service guru ME is great if installed onto a clean disk but is so so on upgrades or if reinstlled over the top of an existing version.Having just done a reformat and install I agree 100% with him. My system is up and running like it was when I first got it. Make sure you set the auto update and I suggest leave third party utilities programs alone... I found some play with ME too much and things go horribly wrong. I have run just about every program given out on the magazine cds and no problems...apart from when the bloody trial expires and have found the basics are the best anyway but it has been a great learning experience as this is my first puter. Thank God I found this site tho or I would have succumbed to temptation and got out my hammer.

03-01-2002, 11:03 PM
Ditto with the hammer dipstick 01 if I hadnt found this site.

I check updates auto and manually, keep my software up to date via //catchup.cnet.com, and clean,scandisk and defrag probably 3 times a week. Check my post 3 above this one. Fanatical, eh?

PS. Whats a third party program?

03-01-2002, 11:33 PM
I also run ME on one of my machines and haven't had any problems that weren't of my own making.

The wife and kids find it much easier to use than '98 and I find it much easier to fix than '98 when they muck something up.

All up I prefer it over '98 but then again the penguin beats them all!

04-01-2002, 12:17 AM
My God... a microsoft product that seems to be working....and people like...no one tell bill gates or they will start playing with it again...lol. Ant way this site was mentioned in another post and I have just finished playing in there. Its good and easy to understand so I thought I might mention it again.
www.PCpitstop bugger i forgot what the end bit is but search and ye shall find. It pointed out a few improvments I can make and I'm off to do those now. Try doing a reformat and reinstall of ME bill....it might actually surprise you like it did us.

04-01-2002, 02:36 AM
Well i havent used Win ME.
But i reckon using Win XP!!!
End of your problems....or fewer problems.

I have been running Win XP on my old old Gigabyte mbo with 333Celeron for over 2 months and it runs Sweeeeeet As!!!!!
....so far :)

04-01-2002, 06:45 AM
Thank you all for your comments on ME. I had intended my post only as a response to Joy Hartley who enquires about updating to ME, but I hit the wrong button! Anyway, it looks as if her machine is not adequate to the job.
Those of you who had trouble with ME echo my experience, but glad that you all managed to get it sorted.
By third party, I mean programmes such as Eudora Pro, Partition Magic, Dragon NS and several others, it just seemed that ME did not want to let them run properly. In fact any programme not marketed by MS. As soon as I reverted to 98SE - no more problems.
I took the computer back to my local OEM who agreed to install 98SE and can ME - so I don't have the ME CD - ergo I stick with what I have and that which does work! He did comment that ME is OK on a clean install without any pertubation, but woe betide if you upset it! The techies at Voyager told me that I was not alone in my experience.
BTW, Pitsop is at http://www.pcpitstop.com/
Many thanks - like someone comments, F1 is an incredibly useful and life saving facility. All good wishes for 2002.

04-01-2002, 10:20 AM
I'm also running Win ME, but didn't have it preinstalled - installed it (several times now) on my PC, and have found it very reliable, quick, and quite satisfactory, except for the inability to do a lot of stuff in DOS.