PDA

View Full Version : Video Pad Editor

Swampy
05-09-2016, 11:35 AM
This is not my usual query. I have been editing and recording some video using the NCH VideoPad editor. After I have recorded my DVD, some players will not play the DVD. Which format is the best most universal to use ? I am using MP4 .and using the NTSC format. Should I be using PAL format ? I hope someone can offer advice about recording video to DVD as I am a "real newbie" at this !!!

Zippity
05-09-2016, 11:52 AM
If you reside in NZ, I suggest you record in PAL format as some players don't like NTSC :(

I use Wondershare DVD Creator for all mt editing :)

05-09-2016, 12:41 PM
This is not my usual query. I have been editing and recording some video using the NCH VideoPad editor. After I have recorded my DVD, some players will not play the DVD. Which format is the best most universal to use ? I am using MP4 .and using the NTSC format. Should I be using PAL format ? I hope someone can offer advice about recording video to DVD as I am a "real newbie" at this !!!

some DVD players will play movie files on disks,or USB eg AVI, mp4, mkv . They wont play all formats & all codecs .

some older DVD players will ONLY play music CD's & Movie DVD's . The movie DVD must be in the exact correct format otherwise it just wont play
There are programs to create the correct format Movie DVD (I think its MPeg2 ?, with addition formating for menus etc, and the mpg2 have to be in correct VOB etc format)

Some DVD players will read either DVD+R, or DVD-R . Some will read both, some only read one type . Not so much an issue now.
Some have issues with DVD-RW (again +RW & -RW)

confused :-) now lets talk about format wars , +R, -R , BR, HDDVD

dugimodo
05-09-2016, 02:18 PM
If you want it to play anywhere the best option is to create a movie DVD and for that you need DVD Authoring software.
I haven't done it in years so I don't know what is the best these days, I used Nero because I had it and it worked.
As 1102 said it uses MPEG2 encoding but has to use the correct file structure and video is stored as .vob files.

Zippity seems to be the only one so far who actually does it so maybe try the software he mentioned or just google something like "best DVD authoring tools" and see what turns up.

One tip from back when I did this kind of thing. If you record in the correct format to begin with and using authoring tools that allow transcoding or keeping the original encoding they are hugely faster, if the software insists on fully re-encoding it can take quite a while. Computers are pretty fast these days though.

Zippity
05-09-2016, 02:33 PM
If you reside in NZ, I suggest you record in PAL format as some players don't like NTSC :(

I use Wondershare DVD Creator for all my editing :)

Damn spelling!

I did my usual editing of this morning's F1 race, and burnt a DVD for my Library.

Swampy
05-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Thank you all for your advice. I now have a lot of "stuff" to "have-a-go " at. Cheers

BBCmicro
05-09-2016, 04:13 PM
... you need DVD Authoring software. I haven't done it in years

Neither have I - people can find playing a DVD a bit of a hassle these days

A USB stick is more convenient. Play it on a laptop and/or 'cast' it to a network-connected TV. The casting works really well with my Win10 (just right-click the file and 'cast')

Or play it on a stand-alone media player if the TV is not network connected. I use the WD TV Live HD player (now aging and probably discontinued by WD)

If taking the USB route (or MemoryCard - easier for posting) I recommend the following settings:

Video: MP4, H264, Base profile at Level 4, 1920 x 1080, original frame rate, 4.5 - 5.5 Mbps
Audio: AAC Low complexity, 128 kbps

That gives average quality which will play nearly anywhere. If the situation is fussy, I would change to High Profile at level 4.2 and increase the Video to 20 Mbps

If emailing a snippet of video and trying to keep the size below about 7 MB, I use the average quality settings but reduce to 1280 x 720 and video bit rate 1.5 Mbps or less. Might also drop the audio to 64 or 48 kbps