PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Pro system backup

ianhnz
05-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Hi All.

I'm after a good reliable, freeware, backup program to backup the important stuff to a separate drive.
I'm using windows backup, but seems to be adding backs, so my 1 TB drive getting full.
Thanks for any advice.
Ian

gary67
05-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Syncback free for folders unless you are meaning create an image

Lawrence
05-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Paragon Backup & Recovery 16 is free till 1 November,don't use it but may get it

https://malwaretips.com/threads/paragon-backup-recovery-16-giveaway.62972/

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/brh/index.html

05-09-2016, 11:27 AM
I'm using windows backup, but seems to be adding backs, so my 1 TB drive getting full.

thats how it should work , full up the HD & auto del old backups as it runs out of space
Its a backup drive , shouldnt be used for other things, so shouldnt matter if all the HD space is used up.

perhaps you can specify how many backup copies it keeps ?

Also, win backup being the confusing thing it is, may not be doing a full image by default & may not actually be backing everything up. ie stuff not in user folders (MYOB data in prog files for eg)
You want to do a system image, that isnt the default .

ianhnz
05-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Syncback free for folders unless you are meaning create an image
I used to do incremental, where it updated, this just adds to it.
Looking at the windows one, was doing everyday and separate files everyday.

ianhnz
05-09-2016, 12:01 PM
Thank you.
In the dark recess of my memory I remember Paragon backups.
Not sure if it was Win 95 or XP.
My first computer was DOS, the windows 3, 3,1,3.11 and so on.
Those was the days....

ianhnz
05-09-2016, 12:02 PM
thats how it should work , full up the HD & auto del old backups as it runs out of space
Its a backup drive , shouldnt be used for other things, so shouldnt matter if all the HD space is used up.

perhaps you can specify how many backup copies it keeps ?

Also, win backup being the confusing thing it is, may not be doing a full image by default & may not actually be backing everything up. ie stuff not in user folders (MYOB data in prog files for eg)
You want to do a system image, that isnt the default .

Windows ha, give me Linux anyday, but we wife didnt like it...

CYaBro
05-09-2016, 12:14 PM
We having been installing this on a lot of computers lately and it works well:
https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html
You can set how many backups you want to keep so the external drive doesn't get full, which is a big failure with the Windows backup as it doesn't do this.
Just fill in crap on the form when they ask for your details, you'll still get the link to download the software.

dugimodo
05-09-2016, 02:36 PM
For my data and media files I just use a robocopy script and windows scheduler to do a weekly differential backup (only copies files that are new or have changed). The backup is always the same size as the original. You can google how to do this and learn it fairly easy (that's what I did) and windows has all the tools already.

For my windows install I just do an image every now and again when I think about it, say when a major update happens or just after doing a complete re-install. I don't worry too much though because I've never actually use done of those images. I either use Active@ or the inbuilt windows tool.

ianhnz
05-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Paragon Backup & Recovery 16 is free till 1 November,don't use it but may get it

https://malwaretips.com/threads/paragon-backup-recovery-16-giveaway.62972/

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/brh/index.html

I downloaded the program, loaded it and when finished asked me to put in my serial number.
I dont have one and no idea how to get one???

Lawrence
05-09-2016, 06:10 PM
You have to create a new account then they supply you with a Serial for the software

The last comment here https://malwaretips.com/threads/paragon-backup-recovery-16-giveaway.62972/

wainuitech
05-09-2016, 06:31 PM
Gary's post, #2 hits the nail on the head :D

Theres a huge problem ( or can be) with a lot of backup programs, in the fact they make a backups as images in their own formats. Which is fine if making a backup of a complete Hard Drive, but a real PITA for only backing up files, because if you delete a photo as an example you cant simply go and copy back one item, not without a lot of mucking about anyway, and you cant take the backup to another PC and copy off the backed up files, you need the program.

There's a lots of free software that copy files/folders out of a image format.

Tried that program Cy posted -- not impressed :( Selected a couple of folders with roughly 300MB of guff, it backed up fine over a LAN but when trying to get the data back, selected the image, it couldn't open it, saying no backup available, yet hellllooooo the program was looking and had selected right at it.

Backups are useless unless they work ;)

dugimodo
05-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Here's one way to easily backup files with straight folder copy method, has the advantage of being easily read by any computer. No good for a system backup but perfect for a file backup. If you use a removable drive it'll need to be connected with the same drive letter every time you run this.

Open Notepad
Cut and paste this into it and edit the source and target directories. If you want to do a lot of different folders just duplicate the line and edit it for each one

Robocopy "C:\Source folder" "X:\Target folder" /MIR /XA:SH /XD "$recycle.bin" /W:5 /R:5

Save it as a .bat file by choosing save as - all files and naming it something like Backup.bat Don't save as a text file as it'll add .txt to the end

-you probably don't need the switch that excludes the recycle bin but it does no harm. It's there because I use this to backup an entire drive to a folder and the recycle bin was causing me trouble.

Save it somewhere and run it. the first time it will copy the entire folder including all subdirectories, after that it'll only mirror changes. To do it regularly set up a task in windows scheduler. It took a few hours to backup my NAS the first time (which is what I use this for) but usually only takes a few minutes on my weekly backup and that's over a gigabit ethernet connnection. To use it over a network map a drive letter first and use that.

CYaBro
06-09-2016, 12:24 AM
Gary's post, #2 hits the nail on the head :D

Theres a huge problem ( or can be) with a lot of backup programs, in the fact they make a backups as images in their own formats. Which is fine if making a backup of a complete Hard Drive, but a real PITA for only backing up files, because if you delete a photo as an example you cant simply go and copy back one item, not without a lot of mucking about anyway, and you cant take the backup to another PC and copy off the backed up files, you need the program.

There's a lots of free software that copy files/folders out of a image format.

Tried that program Cy posted -- not impressed :( Selected a couple of folders with roughly 300MB of guff, it backed up fine over a LAN but when trying to get the data back, selected the image, it couldn't open it, saying no backup available, yet hellllooooo the program was looking and had selected right at it.

Backups are useless unless they work ;)

Never actually tried just selecting certain folders, always done full system backup.
And restoring works perfectly, either the full system or individual files/folders.
Other tech forums I visit recommend it all the time too.

wainuitech
06-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Never actually tried just selecting certain folders, always done full system backup.
And restoring works perfectly, either the full system or individual files/folders.
Other tech forums I visit recommend it all the time too.I'll try it again when I get time, but if you cant put back say 1 file then its a waste of time really.

The software saw the backup that was made, but then said there wasn't any ???? Go figure :confused:

I had one the other day, I was cleaning out some folders and accidentally deleted a folder that had some paid software in it -oops. Went to the backups from a couple of weeks ago and simply copied the single folder back to its original location.

wainuitech
06-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Other tech forums I visit recommend it all the time too. Just tried again, Sorry but you can keep the software.

Did a full backup, then put in a empty drive, booted from the media created, first it wouldn't load in the network drivers so manually had to inject them even though when making the media it clearly showed them being added, it still couldn't see the LAN, so manually had to map the drive, then it finally saw the backup.

Tried to open just the main drive to browse its contents - error saying cant open drive from there ? Then thought OK put back the whole Image - FAIL- wouldn't put it back until I had manually recreated 4 separate partitions.

Easy enough to do but defiantly not user friendly to someone who doesn't know how to do those types of tasks :(.

Edited: Just finished imaging it back - Now its booted to the automatic repair --- obviously not a clean reimage. :( :(

chiefnz
06-09-2016, 03:19 PM
I've been using EaseUS TODO Backup workstation (not free but and excellent product IMHO) for a while now, and it does the job for me. In all honesty, I'm not worried so much about my system drive (though I do perform a system backup twice weekly) I care more about my media and other files. I've only used the recovery disk 2 maybe 3 times to perform a bare bones restore which worked without issue and all other file restores from my NAS to local disks have been smooth as butter.

TODO backup allows file, folder and image creation as well as disk cloning (well at least the Workstation version)

Give the free version a go and see if you like it. Ihave found that the recovery CD is pretty good in terms of having the correct drivers available when booting from it.

The Home version is $US30 I think and the Workstation version is $39, as far as I'm concerned this is money well spent in my expereince so far.

CYaBro
06-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Just tried again, Sorry but you can keep the software.

Did a full backup, then put in a empty drive, booted from the media created, first it wouldn't load in the network drivers so manually had to inject them even though when making the media it clearly showed them being added, it still couldn't see the LAN, so manually had to map the drive, then it finally saw the backup.

Tried to open just the main drive to browse its contents - error saying cant open drive from there ? Then thought OK put back the whole Image - FAIL- wouldn't put it back until I had manually recreated 4 separate partitions.

Easy enough to do but defiantly not user friendly to someone who doesn't know how to do those types of tasks :(.

Edited: Just finished imaging it back - Now its booted to the automatic repair --- obviously not a clean reimage. :( :(

Weird, maybe something is broken in a new version?!
It certainly worked great last time I tested it but it has been a few months.
Might need to test again!

What OS did you backup?

wainuitech
06-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Weird, maybe something is broken in a new version?!
It certainly worked great last time I tested it but it has been a few months.
Might need to test again!

What OS did you backup? The OS is Windows 10 1607, going to a server 2012 shared folder on the LAN. When creating it seemed to go fine

Have not try it to an external HDD as a backup location.

The part that's the most putting off was it wouldn't allow the complete image to go back onto a blank HDD without having to manually create partitions. That was one of the things I disliked about shadow Protect, again good software, but putting back to blank drives needed a bit more work.

For an example, Active@disk Image grabs all the partitions at once and creates as required, it could be 3-4 like a STD W10 install or 6+ like HP's have.

BTW - the one it tried to put back sat on Attempting repairs for close to 1-1/2 hours before finally saying it couldn't repair. Used the default settings.

Connected the original HDD, Re imaged it again With Active@ to test if there was some LAN problem (same server location) and came back fine.

mzee
06-09-2016, 10:40 PM
I used "Acronis" for many years, but now use "AOMEI Backupper Standard", it does System Images, file backups, Universal restore, and has never gone wrong.
Best of all it is free. There is a professional version, but the free standard version works well.