PDA

View Full Version : Spark & youtube buffering

05-09-2016, 10:33 AM
Just wondering

are any other Spark customers having ongoing issues with youtube, pausing/buffering . Especially bad this weekend .

I know the issue isnt at my end as Lightbox streams perfectly, full screen.

psycik
05-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Just wondering

are any other Spark customers having ongoing issues with youtube, pausing/buffering . Especially bad this weekend .

I know the issue isnt at my end as Lightbox streams perfectly, full screen.

Fibre? 30mbps/100mbps, ADSL? VDSL?

I've had no problems with buffering ever on spark 100mbps fibre. THe only buffering I've every received was lightbox on my htpc - but that was CPU related not network.

05-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Internet Connection is irrelevant, as other streaming provider (lightbox) has zero issues.
ADSL2, 9Mbs

Im not even sure if its buffering. Will just pause/stop part way in . It doesnt allways happen , but was particularly bad this weekend.
I resorted to downloading YT vids & watching them offline this weekend.

sk69ersnz
05-09-2016, 07:24 PM
Yep same here. But I've had speed issues since buying a couple of those powerline adapter things. Or it could be with the all you can eat plan with Spark.

Chilling_Silence
05-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Well kinda, see you mention you're syncing ADSL2+ at 9mbps, so it's still plausible the issue is at your end, though a "1080p YouTube" video should be ~4mbps, so it *ought* to be fine. Lightbox may have done some different connection-detection and set the video to play at 480p / 720p instead, subsequently using a lower bitrate?

06-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Well kinda, see you mention you're syncing ADSL2+ at 9mbps, so it's still plausible the issue is at your end, though a "1080p YouTube" video should be ~4mbps, so it *ought* to be fine. Lightbox may have done some different connection-detection and set the video to play at 480p / 720p instead, subsequently using a lower bitrate?

Lightbox I run full screen (its not 480 :) ), YT I run in the small windowed format : the YT vid is maybee 1/5 of the screen
Some YT vids will play all the way though without issue, then the next might be almost unwatchable with so many pauses/buffering
I often give up & just download the YT clip