PDA

View Full Version : How to stop Google from nagging me? v2

Albvs
02-09-2016, 07:41 AM
Somebody on here asked about how to stop Google's home page from nagging you about installing Chrome but it looks like the thread was closed. Most people on the thread have given up on trying to stop this abuse. See How-to-stop-Google-nagging-me (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?117074-How-to-stop-Google-nagging-me)

That said, I believe I have defeated it.

Create a text file, say, in your Documents folder with a name like MY-IE-Default-Style.css
Add the content indicated below to that file
In Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Internet Options -> General tab -> Accessibility -> User style sheet (check the box) and Browse to find the stylesheet you just created
Exit out of all Internet Explorer windows
Start Internet Explorer and go to google.com, noting that the nagging panel on the right should be gone

.gb_ga {
display: none;
}

This technique should work on multiple sites but you'd need to be comfortable reviewing HTML source and using Internet Explorer's F12 functionality to inspect the offending element. Target the DIV tag that you want to hide and set its CSS style's DISPLAY attribute to NONE as I've done. It helps if you understand CSS coding but this is the basic way to do itójust add more paragraphs of style data to your User style sheet and you should be set.