PDA

View Full Version : network

03-01-2002, 04:37 PM
how do you make a network ?

03-01-2002, 05:50 PM
~Depending on the type of network you want to run there are a few things you will need to get networking.

A Network Operating System. e.g. Windows 9x, Win2K/XP, Linux, etc

You'll need to know the type of Network you want to run. e.g.

Client/Server - Taking one machine and dedicating it as a resource to be shared over the network. The computers connecting to this dedicated server are called clients.

Peer-to-Peer - Enables any or all of the machines on the network to act as a server. Most commonly used to join two computers together at little cost.

You may also need network cards, cable and hubs depending on the type of environment your looking at.

Come back with what your wanting to do and I'm sure others can help you with the situation.

Other things like Internet Connection Sharing and File and Printer Sharing can be accomplished after you get an existing network up and running.

03-01-2002, 06:09 PM
A Good Question.

Take two or more computers (fitted with network interface cards), that number of network cables, and a network hub. Plug them together.

Now you have got a collecton of computers wired together. It is not a network.

Set up the network software on each of the computers.

Now it is a network. Easy.

This leaves out the details. The details can cause a lot of hair loss and bad language. This is what is sometimes described as a 'character- building learning experience'. Or something else.

But it's not impossible. RTFM.

03-01-2002, 08:44 PM
Go here for a basic guide on networking two '9x machines.
Make sure you visit part two as it has a lot of good graphics which helps to make sense of what you are reading.

http://www.putergeek.com/home_network/

HTH,
BC

05-01-2002, 11:35 AM
ive heard of server client networks but i havent heard of peer to peer ones. but what im actually want is sharing a file or printer over the internet to another house.
i dont think it is possible though but if it has not been invented i dont know why no body didnt

10-01-2002, 05:24 PM
sorry putergeeks shut down