PDA

View Full Version : Re Win 10 AE Update

Driftwood
15-08-2016, 01:18 PM
Just done a couple of systems here.
Just to advise anyone that dosent know.
System restore gets disabled by the installation.

15-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Just done a couple of systems here.
Just to advise anyone that dosent know.
System restore gets disabled by the installation.

Probably as its a new build. It makes a new Windows folder, renaming the old one.
You can roll back to the previous build. Thats as good as a system restore .
Can you make new restore points after this update ? Or is the service left disabled ?

edit
http://windowsreport.com/windows-10-anniversary-update-restore-points/
"So, why major updates delete system restore points? That’s because you created all your previous system restore points in the previous Windows 10 version, and by performing system restore, you basically aim to roll back to that version, which is not possible. "

and , the bad stuff
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3104389/microsoft-windows/the-case-against-windows-10-anniversary-update-grows.html

wainuitech
15-08-2016, 03:01 PM
It completely depends on how its done/installed.

Any Upgrade will disable system restore. A fresh / clean install wont.

If its disabled then turn it back on again if you want.

Relating tot eh second link above :D

Anyone remember the old joke that ends with guy saying "Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer"

Well its actually true in some cases, ;) modern computers make people think and learn less, they want everything done for them and don't have a clue as to doing basic tasks.

linw
15-08-2016, 03:53 PM
I have objected to restore being switched off for a long time. I know the previous restore points are useless but leaving the setting off is a PITA. Not so much for myself, as I am used to having to reset it back on every time I get an update, but all the people I have set up now will have it off.

I mean lots of other settings are left as they were, so why not the restore?

OK, I know some people don't like it set on but there are certainly instances when a restore can sort out niggly problems so easily. Used it just the other day to fix an issue with a faulty group policy setting.

Never mind but an explanation would be nice.

Driftwood
16-08-2016, 11:16 AM
Just an update.
Working my way through the systems here.
Just done a Win 10 Pro & it didn't disable system restore.
Others were just x32 home.

linw
16-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Yes, a few don't get the setting changed so that is why an explanation would be good. My Insider comp has always had it turned off and ditto for the other three non-insiders (2 Pro and 1 Home).

Anyway, I have had a really good run with win 10 since Oct 2014 so I am grateful for that!!

16-08-2016, 01:55 PM
I checked Win10 AE on the laptop. Yes, system restore is off , not good.
Hopefully MS will release a patch/update to fix that , there will many thousands affected by this .

linw
16-08-2016, 02:38 PM
I can't see MS patching for the restore reset as they have been aware of this for heaps of Insider updates. If they thought this was a problem, surely they would have fixed it before the AU?

Jayess64
17-08-2016, 12:06 AM
I put in Win 10 AE a few days ago. System restore works fine.

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Someone asked the same question here (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/why-is-system-restore-off-by-default-for-many/3049a3ac-f77f-4bff-af19-f6fd51184185)

I dont use it myself. Never have. I usually disable it. The only thing it does for me is use up space

wainuitech
17-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Had to use system Restore earlier today, all because of the fact that Microsoft cant get their **** together by putting out BAD / INCOMPATIBLE DRIVERS.

In the end after stopping (turned off) Windows 10 from downloading and installing the drivers, went to the manufactures site and the correct drivers worked perfectly. What a rig-ma-roll though, had to disable hardware other wise MS drivers would have screwed the install AGAIN !!

17-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Had to use system Restore earlier today, all because of the fact that Microsoft cant get their **** together by putting out BAD / INCOMPATIBLE DRIVERS.

In the end after stopping (turned off) Windows 10 from downloading and installing the drivers, went to the manufactures site and the correct drivers worked perfectly. What a rig-ma-roll though, had to disable hardware other wise MS drivers would have screwed the install AGAIN !!

Wait, Im sure someone insisted this never happens so wont be an issue on 10
:badpc:

I wonder what it will take for MS to relent & give us control over the Winupdates .

wainuitech
17-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Wait, Im sure someone insisted this never happens so wont be an issue on 10
:badpc:

I wonder what it will take for MS to relent & give us control over the Winupdates . Security or software updates I don't have any problem with, but driver updates -- MS claim to get the latest from the manufactures. Calling BS on that :)

The AMD drivers MS downloaded and installed on 14393 cause AMD graphics to crash and burn big time. On AMD's site, the ones that work fine were released 28/7/2016 There are newer ones (full package) 12/8/16.

Funny how almost all driver problems I've seen personally have been with AMD graphics or HP laptops using AMD graphics :waughh: Intel - no problems.