PDA

View Full Version : Where does Thunderbird hie your Emails?

B.M.
12-08-2016, 12:06 PM
OK, bit of a long story here.

The Motherboard in my Win7 machine has died. No big deal, just buy another one and enter battle with Microsoft over their “Motherboard Marriage” policies. :rolleyes:

I digress.

Anyway, whilst I have all the information backed up etc there is ONE email on the Win 7 HDD that I need.

No problem thinks I, I’ll just hook the Win7 HDD onto my faithful XP machine via USB with one of these gizmo’s 7349 and get it.

All works fine, I can see everything on the Win7 Disk except for my emails.

Now my Email Programme is Thunderbird and Google has not been helpful at all so far.

I guess the question in short form is: “Where the hell does Thunderbird hide your Emails and how do I get to view them without using the Disk OS”?

:thanks for any suggestions.

linw
12-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Tried here? C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\<Profile name>\

Lawrence
12-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Should be able to hook into XP machine through the extra IDE cable within or it may have SATA connection

Follow this http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird#Windows_Vista.2C_7.2C_8.1_and_10 Grab the profile folder

Same as linw has suggested

12-08-2016, 12:52 PM
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird

Because Win may not want to show you hidden folders, I allways use a 3rd party file manager ,set to show all files (Total Commander)
Or go into windows file veiw options & set to show all files (its a pain to find on 10 if you dont know where that setting is)

opps : too slow, others beat me to it :-)

Those USB-HD thingies in your pic work great, I use one all the time.

B.M.
12-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Thanks Guy’s I think I’ve found them but what does one do now?

There is two of everything but let’s just stick to the inbox for now.

Notice one Inbox has no file extension, whilst the other is a .msf file.

All the main folders seem to be there but how can one open them? :confused:

And yes those gizsmo's are handy alright. I've had one since before SATA HDD's came out but the later ones are better.

linw
12-08-2016, 04:06 PM
The one with no extension is what you want. Drop it into the new comp profile folder along with your current mail folders then restart TB.

B.M.
12-08-2016, 05:32 PM
I like the line of thinking but see a couple of hitches.

Firstly, I don’t think I’ll get away with having two files with the same name.

Secondly, both HDD’s have perfectly good working Thunderbird email programmes on them which I don’t want to stuff up.

Hence my thoughts for your consideration are that I will rename the inbox file on the XP machine and then copy & paste the inbox from the Win 7 HDD.

Once I have the email I want I’ll delete the copied inbox and rename the original back again.

However, I’m wondering if the inbox on a Win 7 64bit Duel core machine will be the same as that of my faithful old XP machine?

I’ll pour another Gin and get on with it. ;)

Renegade
12-08-2016, 05:38 PM
If your Local Folders in TB are empty, find their location and paste the files in there?

fred_fish
12-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Yes, the format is the same - they are just text files, although formatted for machine parsing rather than human reading.

Rename then copy the XP 'inbox' file to your new profile.
The .msf is just an index file (which will be recreated on the new one - you can rename-the-same/copy too if you want).

B.M.
12-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Well that was interesting.

The principal worked beauty except the inbox I pasted was 2012 – 2014 vintage. :rolleyes:

(makes you wonder how much is on your computer that you don’t know about) :waughh:

So, now I will try and find the correct “inbox”. :D

Jeeeeeeez, all I want is one .eml file! :crying

B.M.
13-08-2016, 09:30 AM
SUCCESS, :clap thanks guys and even the original renamed inbox was there and could be opened.