PDA

View Full Version : I'm have problems with my hard drive or XP. or both.

glenbuc76
08-08-2016, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure what I can do to find the answers can someone please tell me where to go. (& don't be rude).
Thanks in advance.

Terry Porritt
08-08-2016, 08:10 PM
Before you can find answers you first have to clearly define the questions. Having defined the questions then use Google :)

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2016, 08:10 PM
Problems like what?? You may have to replace the hdd. If it can be updated to Win8 or 10, it maybe better if you update it. Since theyre still supported,

dugimodo
08-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Yes there's a lack of information to go on, start by telling us what the problems are.
Otherwise maybe the place to go is a PC repair shop.

09-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Having defined the questions then use Google :)
did you just tell him where to go :)

being just as vague as the question....
what you need to do is find the fix for your issue, on the internet .

glenbuc76
09-08-2016, 03:04 PM
yes, well 1st. it takes so long to run the starting system, & once that's done getting to run a program is no better, I thought it was lack of memory to start with so I increased the size of my Ram but got very little speed increase from it. Sometimes when I'm in the middle of working on something the whole thing just stops & I've got to sit there until the machine decides it's time to work again, I've got 3 cleaner programs & keep all the rubbish to a minimum but it doesn't seem to make all that much difference, I'm going to reduce the No. of programs I've got installed to see what happens but ????
Where do I go to find a fix for the issues on the internet??????
thanks again.

dugimodo
09-08-2016, 03:26 PM
So basically it's very slow and locks up occasionally?
How full is your C: drive? if it's too full that can cause slowdowns.
How much RAM did you increase it to? 2GB is the minimum for smooth performance on XP for most people with 4 or more being preferable
What 3 cleaner programs?

What are your system specs? CPU speed and type, RAM size, Hard drive size, is windows up to date?
Coming here for help is a good starting place, but if we have to keep fishing for information it's a bit difficult.
How long since windows was installed? it does tend to get bloated and slower over time.

Generally why a PC gets slower is generally down to one of a few options:
Hard drive full - windows needs space to shuffle things around
Too much running at once - uninstall uneeded software and remove things from startup that don't need to be there
Malware, Crapware, Bloatware, toolbars etc use some anti-malware software and antivirus software. Malware bytes anti-malware and Nod32's online scanner are a good place to start. Use Ccleaner to free up space and use it's startup tool to disable things you don't need always running

Sometimes the best option is to wipe the hard drive and start over with a fresh install but because XP is so old it's probably a good Idea to make sure you have an up to date install disk or the latest service pack at least before trying that or you'll be updating forever.

There also a slight chance it's hardware related, could be an overheating component or failing drive but I'd try the software options before going down that path.

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2016, 03:44 PM
1. Dont use registry cleaners, programs like this will make it worse.

I would install ccleaner. (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard). Click on advanced / untick Google chrome so it wont install

Then go to tools / startup and uninstall. Click on bottom right save to txt file. Copy and paste what comes up in here

How much ram did you install?? XP can only support up to 4 GB. So if you installed more, it wont be used

If you want, I could check it out with teamviewer. Install / run it / select personal if you get it then send the ID and password it gives you to me in a PM

09-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately, there is no easy single answer.
It will be a process of elimination to find the causes (via best guess method) .

try :
run msconig, disable all startup items & non MS services
see whats in scheduled tasks
run malware scan (malwarebytes)
uninstall AV (as a test) . AV can cause issues on flaky PC's , espec Norton
Download & run a HD test tool from seagate or WD

or take up speedies generous offer . A bit of knowing where to look makes all this quicker to track down

Sometimes it really just needs a wipe & reload.
If you have any spare cash, consider a used (ex lease) Win7 PC instead of spending time & $ on this

linw
10-08-2016, 08:54 AM
+1 for 1101's last sentence. These ex lease comps are very good value. Less now that win 10 ain't a free upgrade, though!

Renegade
10-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Test the HD first, can save hours of farting around for nothing.